An idea for skills in GW2. What do y’all think? :D

Gw1's major balancing issue were the countless amounts of possible attribute and skill combinations that came with the primary/second class concept.

Gw2 tried to avoid that, yet every new E-Spec naturaly makes balancing more difficult again.

So why does anyone think adding even more skills would be a good idea and healthy for the game?

So what do I think? Terrible idea to add such a feature at the current state of the game. Such a skill system might work and could be fun if you start out with it from the very beginning and have a plan on how to go on from there, but not if you add it retroactively.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Nash.2681 said:

Gw1's major balancing issue were the countless amounts of possible attribute and skill combinations that came with the primary/second class concept.

Gw2 tried to avoid that, yet every new E-Spec naturaly makes balancing more difficult again.

So why does anyone think adding even more skills would be a good idea and healthy for the game?

So what do I think? Terrible idea to add such a feature at the current state of the game. Such a skill system might work and could be fun if you start out with it from the very beginning and have a plan on how to go on from there, but not if you add it retroactively.

Why is it a terrible idea to want the ability to customize you skills furthermore? My hypothetical would improve the game in a healthy way. Based on the idea that all the skill implemented are well thought out and carefully balanced. Like my post is a very “if they could do this is a healthy way would y’all like it?” And your answer is no? That’s weird. Like why wouldn’t players enjoy more skills if they added value and were effective in giving people more customizability.  Regardless, I like my idea. Lol 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Eli Fereta.5970 said:

It’s my post from offsite. Didn’t feel like typing it all out again lol 

Copy and Paste, remove the formatting.  I can't quote a section of your post without going to Reddit.

Below is my response from a similar thread.  The OP in that thread was asking for 3 choices per weapon skill.  The math is terrifying if you happen to be the developer who has to manage this.  Unfortunately, this was merged into the QoL thread, so who knows, you might get your wish someday.

All this would do is change the goalposts within the various metas while massively overcomplicating the existing weapon options.

Engineer has the fewest weapon skills at 28, while Elementalist has the most at 150.  Giving those weapon skills 3 choices would bloat the skill to 84 for Engineer and 450 for Elementalist.  When you look at total unique weapon skills in the game there are 356 Core weapon skills and 158 eSpec weapon skills, so with your proposed change, 1068 Core options and 504 eSpec options.  And that doesn't even include things like Kits or Shroud skills which make up another 281 skills, or with your proposal, 843.

You can provide too many options, and this game already does that.  There are already over 2k build variants for each profession simply via Trait options, even before you select weapons, sigils, runes and armor, oh and utility skills too!  Tripling the weapon skills across the board doesn't seem good for anyone (players, developers, balance team).

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Eli Fereta.5970 said:

Why is it a terrible idea to want the ability to customize you skills furthermore? My hypothetical would improve the game in a healthy way. Based on the idea that all the skill implemented are well thought out and carefully balanced. Like my post is a very “if they could do this is a healthy way would y’all like it?” And your answer is no? That’s weird. Like why wouldn’t players enjoy more skills if they added value and were effective in giving people more customizability.  Regardless, I like my idea. Lol 

Glad you like your idea, I don't.

Sorry, but I'm not a day-dreaming guy, I like to be realistic. And reality is, that Arena.Net already has a hard time balancing the game with what we already have and it will get even more complicated when EoD launches. So adding your proposed feature in a "healthy and balanced way" doesn't seem to be a realistic option to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Having more option is a thing. Being drowned in all the skill available is another. I dont want to equip my rifle as an Engineer and wonder if my #5 is a jump shot and not I dont know, a canon ball. I dont want a new player to get into the game, see people recommending for instance sword and shield on a Guardian and then he's being drowned in the list of skill available for 1 skill. And then he has to go through the 4 other skill. Just for 1 set of weapon. And then he has to do the same for the second weapon set. And then he has to pick his new utility skills and finally his ultimate. 

Uniformity of skills has its merit. You trade customization for consistency in the result you seek. 

Edited by Alcatraznc.3869
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Eli Fereta.5970 said:

Seems a little circular. 

"Wouldn't this thing be good and healthy if it was implemented in a way that's good and healthy?"

But it just completely handwaves what defines "good and healthy" as well as all the surrounding difficulty to do so. 

Also the fact that anet declared your idea an issue with the original game which is why we have what we do now make this a non starter.

And if course you like your idea. Everyone likes their own ideas. But it doesn't always mean that that everyone else would agree or consider it a good idea at all. 

Edited by Sigmoid.7082
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You could handle this a couple ways, either add elemental attunement type of skills to weapons like ele, or release new skill sets for old weapons. 

So for ele attunements on weapons, but able to select whatever skill in a slot on the one bar. So as a simple example for the sake of a quick format and skill names... Weapon slot options...

1 = Fireball, or Water blast, or Chain lightning, or Stoning.

2 = Lava font, or Ice spike, or Lightning surge, or Eruption.

3 = Flame burst, or Geyser, or Gust, or Magnetic aura.

4 = Burning retreat, or Frozen ground, or Windborne  speed, or Unsteady ground.

5 = Meteor shower, or Healing rain, or Static field, or Shock wave.

So your one weapon bar could just look like..

1 = Chain lightning

2 = Ice spike

3 = Magnetic aura

4 = Burning retreat

5 = Meteor

Or lets look at it at another way...

Warrior greatsword, let's say these are all greatsword skills for the sake of an easy example...

1 = Greatsword swing, or Hammer swing, or Chop, or Sever artery.

2 = Hundred blades, or Fierce blow, or Cyclone axe, or Savage leap.

3 = Whirlwind attack, or Hammer shock, or Throw axe, or Final thrust.

4 = Bladetrail, or Staggering blow, or Dual strike, or Shield bash.

5 = Rush, or Backbreaker, or Whirling axe, or Shield stance.

So your one greatsword weapon bar could just look like...

1 = Greatsword swing

2 = Savage leap

3 = Whirlwind attack

4 = Shield bash

5 = Whirling axe

😂

Also a problem with skill bloat is eventually you will get meta's for the best and you will have dead skills that no one wants/need to use. TBH I think they could get real messy, and just prefer the restrictions in place, if you're going to add a weapon add the 3-5 skills and you have use the weapon to use them, leave the customized skills to the utility list. If anything maybe they could just simply add one more utility slot to use, that alone would open up so many builds (and probably end up with more broken builds, but not like that hasn't existed since the beginning of the game anyways.... 🤣

Lastly...

skill implemented are well thought out and carefully balanced

Haven't played gw2 all that long huh? 🤭

On 2/7/2022 at 3:47 AM, Nash.2681 said:

unfortunately while GW2 tried to reduce the number of skills/traits they've also made skills that does multiple things

A GW2 skill bar is like a GW1 skill bar with 4 or 5 elite skills

• Like 1