55 GB HDD requirement question

In 2020 people reported anywhere between 45-50 GB of storage. My current install as of today is at around 51 GB. Some of the assets for EoD seem to be in the launcher already (somebody managed to datamine Kuunavang's model, for example) so around 55 GB seems likely for the entirety of the game once EoD launches. The last fractal also already added a few assets.

Current + 55 GB seems extremely unlikely, as the base game + HoT + PoF shouldn't only be half of what EoD adds in terms of storage space.

• Like 4

Unless EoD alone is literally as large as GW2+HoT+PoF combined - and that's ignoring shared assets - then it's 55gb in total, yes. 

(sidenote regarding the varying size, this has to do with patches. GW2 has always tendancy to bloat over time - weird crashes/glitches can often be fixed by deleting the gw2.dat file and redownload, plus you'll shed a few gb).

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1

If you look at the purchase page, the System Requirements states 50GB for Path of Fire + Heart of Thorns and 55GB for End of Dragons, Path of Fire and Heart of Thorns.

It also states 55GB for End of Dragaons, but remember that even just purchasing End of Dragons, the client will download all previous data (the other expansion data access will just be locked). (Once EoD is released, Path of Fire + Heart of Thorns will also state 55GB, as it will include End of Dragons, but locked.)

Thus, total storage needed is 55GB. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
more info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

I'm thinking it might be time to get a new computer....

If the rest of your computer is still fine then maybe buying an extra external SDD may be good enough for you (at least it's a LOT cheaper than buying a whole new computer) 🤪

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.  I'm looking at my SSD drive and space is starting to get limited.

I'm thinking it might be time to get a new computer....

or maybe get a 1 TB ssd they arent that expensive ya know

I just bought a samsung 1TB evo ssd on sale for 119.00. No reason to buy a new pc unless yours is ancient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

On the same note, can anyone tell me EoD says i need to have Intel®i3 3.4 GHz / AMD Athlon x4 3.8 GHz or better, but i have Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz   2.70 GHz / Radeon (TM) R7 M445. What problems will i be facing if played in this? Also is this only for EoD or the entire Gw2?

If you can afford it, I would look into an upgrade if I were you. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

On the same note, can anyone tell me EoD says i need to have Intel®i3 3.4 GHz / AMD Athlon x4 3.8 GHz or better, but i have Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz   2.70 GHz / Radeon (TM) R7 M445. What problems will i be facing if played in this? Also is this only for EoD or the entire Gw2?

You have a 2016 laptop?  Without actually testing it, it is hard to say with 100% accuracy, so take this assessment as an educated guess.

Your i5 should be fine compared to the required i3.  There are several i3 that have a 3.4GHz clock, ranging from 2011 to 2017 releases.  I am going to suggest that they mean the older versions, older than your i5.

Your R7 M445 is much newer than the suggested Radeon HD 7970 which was released in 2011.  Again, I think you will be okay.

It looks like they were targeting hardware released around 2011 as the baseline.  Perhaps that has to do with driver or DX support, maybe it is just happenstance.

That said, you may notice a small dip in performance as various DX11 upgrades continue to be released, and new flashier assets are added to the game. 

As a point of reference, the base game originally required hardware circa 2006, and each release since required hardware from 2007 or newer.

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

You have a 2016 laptop?  Without actually testing it, it is hard to say with 100% accuracy, so take this assessment as an educated guess.

Your i5 should be fine compared to the required i3.  There are several i3 that have a 3.4GHz clock, ranging from 2011 to 2017 releases.  I am going to suggest that they mean the older versions, older than your i5.

Your R7 M445 is much newer than the suggested Radeon HD 7970 which was released in 2011.  Again, I think you will be okay.

It looks like they were targeting hardware released around 2011 as the baseline.  Perhaps that has to do with driver or DX support, maybe it is just happenstance.

That said, you may notice a small dip in performance as various DX11 upgrades continue to be released, and new flashier assets are added to the game. 

As a point of reference, the base game originally required hardware circa 2006, and each release since required hardware from 2007 or newer.

Ok thanks, I will have to hope and see if it works, or at least in min settings. 

2 minutes ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

Unfortunately can't, at least not for next 3-5 years. 

Oh okay :S

Have you considered buying a used desktop maybe?

I got one just for GW2 after my previous one died.

Got an i3 7100 + GTX 1050 + 32 GB RAM for very cheap.

Not amazing, but good enough for GW2.

You can find some amazing deals with patience 🙂