Any point in making Engineer just for (support) Mechanist?

Valisha.8650

I were considering making an Engineer for the new spec, since the two already existing ones don't really "click with me" - I really DO NOT enjoy playing as a DPS.

Here is my question to people more experienced in the engineer class - Is there any point in making an engi just for the new spec? Does it have any hope for a decent support-oriented build?

I really wish I could offer an answer.  I cannot, because there's too many unknowns in the air right now.  If we're going with what is on paper, the mechanist has a lot for its support build:

• Capped Might
  • Capped Alacrity
  • Good Fury
  • Good Vigor
  • Aegis and Stability on demand
  • Projectile Blocking Dome
  • Good CC
  • Mild but constant barrier

This is alongside of the vanilla Engineer's toolkit, which while greatly powercrept now still has mild support options.  The issue is the robot itself.  These support utilities are tied to the mech, which can be inconsistent and can be killed.  This is an AI spec, after all, which means it will be plagued by minor usage issues.  

• Like 4

Personally, I didn't like the mech for support. You have to be near it to receive the bonuses and I had to babysit it a bit too much, which drew my concentration away from the fight. It's quite easy for the robot to get lost in all the commotion, then I have to 360 degree look around to find out where my bot is and what it's doing, command it, then wait until it gets into position before I can trigger its skills. Its survivability is also subject to the content your doing. It can work on braindead stack fights, but in harder content combined with managing the engineer piano rotation? It's a bit too much busy work for my liking.

If I want support, Scrapper is still top tier. Perma quickness and superspeed is amazing and it's braindead easy to work with. For me, Mech is really for overworld casual play. Slap dual pistols or go flamethrower, and just have the Mech do whatever in the background. I'm sure some people will make the mech work for support, but I'd rather have player toons give out boons because it's just much easier to work with people than AI controlled pets.

• Like 1

If you don't like support scrapper then you probably won't like mechanist because mechanist has the same core skills except for the mech and signet(s). In fact I'd argue support scrapper is far stronger as a spec since you can use it in competitive modes. Thoroughly learning a spec purely for PVE isn't really an attractive proposition for me, which is why I am not a fan of druid , condi berserker, or deadeye.

For PVE I don't think support mechanist has the CC to displace alacrity renegade and it will do far less damage since alac mechanist gives up pistols and all the condi kits. The only unknown is whether catalyst/harbinger/StM chrono/quickness scrapper will take off and firebrand will be nerfed enough such that you would want your alacrity source to heal. If you run a DPS quickness with support mechanist then you still need CC though at least for fractals. Arguably barrier from mechanist would be better than healing on firebrand since agony reduces healing by 70% but not barriers and med kit heals stronger than firebrand anyway.

Make sure to watch Mukluk's overview

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 12:28 AM, Valisha.8650 said:

I were considering making an Engineer for the new spec, since the two already existing ones don't really "click with me" - I really DO NOT enjoy playing as a DPS.

Here is my question to people more experienced in the engineer class - Is there any point in making an engi just for the new spec? Does it have any hope for a decent support-oriented build?

@Valisha.8650Yes but you will need play it as heal alac with quick fire brand (like old qfb+alac heal renegade)

With this build you will upkeep insane amount of barrier (4-5k) perm + have x3 projectile blocks

and 2 bigger barriers

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PejAk6lZwaZuMPWKeqTbRVA-zxIYwoh/MqWBkuEwuzS7bWA-e

insted of using med kit, your job is spaming one to put barrier per sec that migrates dmg from team 

that way evry your 3 auto (that taking 1s witch quickness) your as effective as med kit

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430
  • Like 1