Initial impressions of EoD

Feel free to add your own.

Mine are the following

Opening mission was kinda cool.  Definitely different than the typical walking around a certain path on a map and fight against swarms.  Because of its location, the special skill animation you get, landing seems a little buggy.  Like its trying to guess where you meant to hit on a moving target.  not a deal breaker or anything.  Still could use some polish. Hoping this is an isolated thing

The first zone in Cantha is pretty.  Like really pretty.  The colors just pop and definitely a 180 from the browns and the browns and more of the browns of PoF.  The architecture is also on point.

ANet wasn't messing around with Jade Bots.  Their zips are already everywhere and you don't have a bot yet.  And given the verticality of the first zone already, you will need jade bots as skyscale probably not going to get you where you need to go.  Really looking forward to where they go with this.

Fishing is...okay for now.  Catching one fish doesn't make me experienced in it...so guess I will just have to keep trying it.

Opening the map and viewing just PoI count  each zone seems like its Yuuge.  like Desolation sort of Yuuge.  There are probably tons of secrets hidden away to find.

Edited by piitb.7635
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Traveller.7496 said:

I got stuck inside an airship in the first mission with no way to die and I had to do the whole kitten thing again. Why isn't there any measures against something like that? 

I got stuck behind something on an airship in that mission, but fortunately I was able to get out using that  special ability thing. So, yay for that.

• Like 3

It's really nice even though it feels like i am playing another game... It's not the same feeling i get when i play in the starting zones.

Anyways...

Mastery points and hero points are easier to get.

The map exploration is way more enjoyable(unlike pof where i die 5 times trying to reach a waypoint:))) ) even if i don't have a skyscale.. yet. 

The environment is so colorful and pretty - but not as immersive as the starting zones.

The fishing part is hell.

The dialogue is pretty annoying.

What's up with the combo thingy? :))

Have fun and enjoy the new expansion, everyone! 😄  

Edited by Efar.8153
  • Like 6
  • Confused 3

Just played the opening mission and explored a bit near the prison on the island. I guess I will progress through each chapter. Then repeating for achievements. (Missed some cause I made mistakes in the opening mission - but should not be too hard.)

The map currencies (one you can sell or convert in another currency ... which supposedly is used for crafting as well) seem interesting.  Fishing ... we'll see. Trying that later. Map looking beautiful - liked the island the most in GW1.

Curious about the Jade Bot later - might be a bit fun to progress through the crafting. I talked to that NPC with the recipes and stuff. Seems interesting. (Also you salvage crafted stuff ... or another currency? Might be related to some "bug" someone posted related to "salvage all" option.)

For the opening mission engineer is nice - rocket boots can save some of the skill uses (where you can use it only max 10 times for the achievement) - but I'm sure other professions have movement skills as well. Still  need to try the mechanis. Not unlocked yet ... exploring more first for a bit. Until I decide - then needing to create a first build.

Edited by Luthan.5236

Looks like it's a complete waste of money.

Early story step's involve fishing which is hideously implemented.

Another step is effectively a combat tutorial - but using skills I'd never use as a casual player and will never have the skill level to complete -   dodge 5 times in a row, no chance.   5 total 1 at a time maybe.

I did fear they'd gate basic content by insisting on a certain skill level and looks like they have.

• Like 6
  • Confused 12

4 minutes ago, Barvol.6431 said:

Another step is effectively a combat tutorial - but using skills I'd never use as a casual player and will never have the skill level to complete -   dodge 5 times in a row, no chance.   5 total 1 at a time maybe.

I did fear they'd gate basic content by insisting on a certain skill level and looks like they have.

Everyone is entitled their opinion but you're really complaining about not being able to dodge simple area attack in an area that is a throwback to the original Guild Wars?

I mean there is really no words.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Barvol.6431 said:

Reallly... like ... what?

Hideously implemented?
Give a reason pls.

Combat tutorial?
As i remeber correctly, people on forums demanded exactly that.
Because new players arent really tought about combo fields, cc bars and such.
Implementing it in EOD might be a bit strange.
Since the people need the last expansion which tells them the basics but maybe aint that bad cuz most newcomers might start with exactly that.
Thats a point to discuss but it was demanded and Anet delivered.

Dodge 5 times in a row is impossible?
Oh boy. That quest can be solved by pressing jump and side-stepping. You dont even need to dodge.
Sry but that is totally rubbish.

Greetings

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Barvol.6431 said:

Then this was made exactly and specifically for you, so you can learn how to do it.

You don't even have to actually dodge, you can simply walk to avoid the aoe indicator.

Edited by Maikimaik.1974
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 2

Actually i kinda don't like the expansion so far.
- I don't find intresting any of the new professions
- for ONCE i would have liked to start with all the new professions unlocked.But nope.
- im tired of unskippable long dialogues that increase the duration of quests TOO MUCH
and the "radio mechanic" is ANNOYING AF : always in my ears with pointless details i dont need to enjoy the story. (ended up muting all the voices)
- fishing  is actually fun,but i would have preferred it wasn't a mastery tho.
- The jadebot mastery, played a bit with it,dont like the "battery" mechanic.

Meh

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7

Guild Wars 2 (not the exact quote, because I'm playing on German):
Gorrik: His Photon Forge has the same flaws as the the one above."
Ivan: "You call it flaws, I call it characteristics."

Metal Gear Solid:
Snake: "You intentionally designed it with a weak point?"
Otacon: "It's not a weak point--I like to think of it as more of a character flaw."

It made me smile.
Edited by Maria Murtor.7253

Question for people who have played EOD outside of the story.
I myself do not own EOD yet, but I know through a friend that the art team has once again done a masterful job.
But I don't want to pay 30€ or more just for beautiful graphics and details.

Therefore, my question, how is the replay value of the maps?
More like POF, meh? More like HOT, yeih? Or more like IBS, good but super looooong?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

So far, I'm enjoying everything a lot and I look forward to what sort of living world additions they add over the next year or so.

It's a bit worrying how few people there seem to be posting here and streaming/watching on Twitch though.

Edited by Zoot.7190

1 minute ago, Zoot.7190 said:

So far, I'm enjoying everything a lot and I look forward to what sort of living world additions they add over the next year or so.

It's a bit worrying how few people there seem to be posting here and streaming/watching on Twitch though.

You rarely get people posting on launch day even for a living world episode. Partly because of people enjoying the content, but also because there will be some risk of spoilers