Specter or machinist?

Kanimae.1735

Hi! I am looking to start a new and I am interested in both specs. I was wondering which is overall more wanted in group content (fractals, raids), which is better in open world pve (story, living story, metas) and which is easier to play.

Thank you!

We don't have a super clear answer, but I can saying having played with both: Machinist is just way better at the role. People will probably take either though especially in strikes and fractals. When CM strikes come out I'd have to guess right now that everyone would pick Machinist over Specter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2022 at 11:48 AM, Kanimae.1735 said:

Hi! I am looking to start a new and I am interested in both specs. I was wondering which is overall more wanted in group content (fractals, raids), which is better in open world pve (story, living story, metas) and which is easier to play.

Thank you!

Specter is a meme pocket healer pvp spec.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/6/2022 at 11:48 AM, Kanimae.1735 said:

Thank you!

Specter because their AOE SUPPORT (YES, IT HAS AOE HEALING AND BOONS) is absolutely fantastic. Built in 20% outgoing healing and plenty of heals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Opun.3824 said:

I may be wrong but even tho mechanist have lots of support right now, those boons are MECH based, so isnt it a little too much to depend on clunky AI?

A good part of the alacrity you generate is through the application of barrier, which is applied in aoe every 3rd mace strike. Beyond that you're right, the mech tends to kitten around during group content maneuvering and the shift signet can only do so much to reposition.

On the other hand... Specter doesn't seem to do much compared to what that overtuned clunky AI has to offer. 

Edited by MrForz.1953

On 3/6/2022 at 5:48 PM, Kanimae.1735 said:

group content

Mechanist. But only because apart from a good condi DPS option (which is true for both) it has a nutty support build as well that looks like it's going to be meta.

which is better in open world pve

Doesn't matter. If you actually are considering this already and are willing to learn about the game and class you choose you're already ahead of the curve and will do perfectly fine.

easier to play

Specter. Thief is notorious for using very little in terms of different buttons and the shroud doesn't change that much and beefs you up a lot. Pet AI takes getting used to for the Mech.

The real question is which feels better to you because they play quite differently and what style appeals to you? Do you like being a purple shadowy thing doing pirouettes of death and lobbing purple energy balls around or is it a gold and green massive Jade thing following you everywhere?