EOD is making me nauseous / sick

Is there anyone else out there who is getting nauseous from playing End of Dragons? I can't play EOD more than about 40 min before I feel so yuk I just stop playing. It's been an extreme bummer as doing new story is something I usually enjoy with my friends.  I've tried lowering the graphics quality and turning off shadows but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  Help!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I felt this way too, and usually feel like this whenever starting a new game or expac.  I think my motion sickness was triggered by the verticality of the maps (lots of flying up and down) plus the skiff makes me queasy although I don't have seasickness IRL.

When your character is moving in the game, try to focus far in front of you, not right up close.  That way the movement will seem less extreme.  If the extremely bright colors seem to bother you, try adjusting your monitor for less saturation.  Good luck!

Edited by Witch of Doom.5739
spacing
  • Like 2

Is it just EoD? If you spend a similar amount of time doing other things on the computer or playing other areas of GW2 are you ok? And is it all areas of EoD or are there specific things which are better or worse?

If you can narrow down what specifically is causing it then you/we/Anet might be able to find a solution, even if it's something that's affecting all the new maps like the lighting or something.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 1

Have you been playing for a long time in other parts of the game after the release?  I ask because I noticed the new loading screen is brutal on my motion sickness, and 40mins is about my limit now, too, when it never was before.  It took a while for me to figure that out, though, because I was working exclusively in EoD and WvW (and I'm always prone to motion sickness in WvW if there's lots of mobs or structure battles going on), and I, too, thought at first it was something specific to the expansion content.

• Like 3

It's not just you.  I normally don't have these sorts of issues - but the amount of visual noise in this expansion is insane.  I've done the ministry strike mission a few times now and I still haven't adjusted to it.  There is just an insane amount of stuff happening and particles flying everywhere.  Half the time I can't even see the bosses, due to all of their effects and the players fashion and what not.  It's a bit much, and the neon green everywhere doesn't help.

Edited by Will.9785
  • Like 3

I am pretty prone to nausea in games, mostly tethered to Field of View. Nausea (for me, anyway) usually happens when there's a change in movement that doesn't match what the brain expects. Some console ports have an unusual FoV due to them being designed to be played on a couch far away, rather than a computer monitor.

Early GW2 I minimized this by reducing the sway (Rotation Speed in options) when turning the camera, since there's sort of a stylistic panning motion on side to side. Before touching that I got pretty ill from just looking around. I'd also recommend trying to tweak the FoV slider to something that feels more natural to you.

If you already messed with those settings I'm not too sure of other options. Some folks turn down/off post processing since it really blows out an already arguably oversaturated color palette.

Sucks to have that happen, I pretty much can't play Borderlands because of the nausea. In Skyrim I gotta edit the FoV to 90+ degrees, and the camera zoom/shake when sprinting is rough. My sympathies, I hope you can find settings that help your situation.

• Like 3

I discovered that having the Jade bot as a 'drone' makes me feel sick and gives me headaches(again) to the point it took me an hour to do the drone thing in the labs and i still have Joon's estate to do yet. They always seem to forget some of their player base get motion sick.

• Thanks 2

The lighting level in some areas (esp. Seitung) seems to be quite bright.

I'd suggest trying low postprocessing setting in graphic options, or you can also turn it off completely. Other ones you could test turning off are Ambient Occlusion, Effect LOD and Light Adaptation. You can also adjust your monitor settings, perhaps even save a profile to be used only when playing EoD.
As sidenote; Character Model Limit is the biggest FPS killer, set this to low or lowest.

Another tip that helped me with eyestrain is to add desk lamp(s) behind the monitor. I have one pointing at the wall behind. The idea is to balance the light level with monitor-room brightness.

• Like 1