Untamed - the 30k benchmark "Selfish" DPS "WvW frontline"

Shiyo.3578

Terrible dps, has no tools to be a frontline, its pet dies to zergs and it lacks sustain. It's just a meme 1 shot montage PvP spec(teleport onto people - > stun - > 1 shot with 2x maul + tailswipe/hammer)

When does Ranger get its EoD spec?

Edited by Shiyo.3578
  • Like 4

it is very sad and true. none of the anets cant see it. at the RAID I had worse dps than the new support classes

NO DMG. NO SUPPORT !!!

even snow scrow showed all bowe builds except ranger because they don't even know how to show it

at the moment, the class is suitable for garbage. arena why do you do this to people who love to play ranger?

Edited by Cytoplasma.8216
  • Like 3

For the first time ever I fiddled with the dps golem on Unleashed. I managed 8,215 using just my build and self-buff only. I got up to 18,000 using the same build with every possible buff/debuff. I mostly open world and have self imposed rules about builds that make them worse than what snowcrows would recommend so this only being 12k higher shows me how much work Unleashed needs.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:46 AM, Quietas.4891 said:

Yup, that was posted in October. I wish Snowcrows or someone would post a new max DPS build so we can really see what is possible (or not) with the current release.

Pretty much anyone who cares enough to do it can simply look at the skills, conclude it's weaker than Soulbeast and just not bother

If it brought a new mechanic or support to the table then it might be worth it but it's just pure damage with spirit/spotter support being universal to the class

20 minutes ago, Substance E.4852 said:

If it brought a new mechanic or support to the table

Strictly speaking, it does as it bring boon conversion and projectile hate to the table.

Unfortunately, those aren't popular tools as boon conversion have simply to much competition in PvE and projectile hate is very niche in the gamemode (due to the mechanism being overnerfed in the gamemode so that you can't "cheat" the mechanics with it) and easily accessible to most profession.

5 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Strictly speaking, it does as it bring boon conversion and projectile hate to the table.

Unfortunately, those aren't popular tools as boon conversion have simply to much competition in PvE and projectile hate is very niche in the gamemode (due to the mechanism being overnerfed in the gamemode so that you can't "cheat" the mechanics with it) and easily accessible to most profession.

I was thinking more along the lines of stuff like One Wolf Pack sharing

Something other classes can't do or can but at too great a sacrifice to their kit

Edited by Substance E.4852
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Substance E.4852 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of stuff like One Wolf Pack sharing

Something other classes can't do or can but at too great a sacrifice to their kit

Untamed suffer the same shortcomings that plagued necromancer in PvE for the first 7 years of the game. You could expect that the devs would have learned their lesson but unfortunately they didn't. It's a spec designed to counter players in small scale fight which make it usable in PvE open world but hardly competitive for instanced PvE (Well the hammer can hit pretty hard for the short window of opportunity after breaking the defiance of a boss which could theoretically make the spec a good dps in a few boss encounters but that's all). As for WvW... Well... It's a pet spec so there isn't much to say about it there.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2022 at 8:01 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Untamed suffer the same shortcomings that plagued necromancer in PvE for the first 7 years of the game.

From a point of view, kind of. But not really. Untamed still has the tools that made ranger better for instanced PvE compared to what core necro had (at the time, necro didnt just lack unique buffs, it barely had a decent third trait line for pure power dps), but it comes after two specs that improved support and especially dps. Untamed suffers from the same issues core ranger always had and which soulbeast highlighted. The pet mechanic is trash for pve dps and large scale wvw. The unleashed skills do something to improve the latter, but the main issue is still there and the skills would be more effective if they weren't used via a pet.

It's telling how low the sustained damage output of core ranger is relative to other classes compared to how it was pre-HoT when they have to buff a 15 % damage modifier that is there simply for just existing up to a whopping 25 %. Not even soulbeast could escape that fact, given how they had to buff the fury modifier up to 15 % after all the other nerfs. Out of context, those two modifiers are huge outliers across all professions. Meanwhile druid does no damage to allow it to heal.. but the healing isn't even that good, and the spec is still carried by unique core ranger buffs.

I don't know what vision Anet had with Untamed, but it should have addressed ranger viability in large scale WvW. It didn't because they don't want to admit how useless the pet is for that kind of content.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 2:32 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:

I had good success with siege turtle for the first 3 new strikes in terms of projectile blocks. Especially in the Scarlet portion and the New Kaineng strike as a whole- but I was playing druid. They gave us a pet that invalidates  the one shred of a utility that untamed could bring.

28 minutes ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

I had good success with siege turtle for the first 3 new strikes in terms of projectile blocks. Especially in the Scarlet portion and the New Kaineng strike as a whole- but I was playing druid. They gave us a pet that invalidates  the one shred of a utility that untamed could bring.

Well, you could say that thanks to this pet the untamed have better uptime on projectile hate than it's other specs.