Virtuoso misses the mark in WvW

RisenHowl.2419

There's some stuff to love with the new mesmer spec for wvw like focus pulls into sword of decimation, but it falls short on damage and mechanics.

-Too many projectiles. Dagger 3 is a projectile that shoots out more projectiles, like it's mocking you.

-Too many piercing abilities, not enough variation. There's almost never a scenario where it's worth casting the elite if your f1 is available

-The larger the groups are the more buggy the spec becomes, shatters that are unblockable suddenly just disappear without dealing damage, might be due to bad tracking

-Greatsword 2 is the only reliable source of blades without running dueling. The phantasms from gs4 and focus 5 frequently bug out and don't spawn at all. Torch and pistol are both unsuitable for any large scale fights. Sword 3 requires you to hit a target to spawn a blade...

-Staff and scepter are both projectile based. Staff is great for roaming but terrible for larger scale content while scepter offers little outside of its block. You already get a block on each shatter activation =/

-Overall just really low damage. All of these clips I'm in full or almost full berserker gear and even when presented perfect bombing opportunities it falls short by a mile. Even if phantasms were fixed and I were able to get 5 blades for each cast of bladesong harmony the damage would only be 10-15% higher, still well below what you'd expect with 4k power and 240% crit damage.

Easiest fix right off the bat is to make f1 a bouncing projectile instead of piercing. That might make the spec worth using even if the phantasms don't get fixed.

Edited by RisenHowl.2419
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Nobody should have expected any differently. Dagger in its entirety is projectile for "reasons". In last beta from my testing the dagger 3 bladestorm has pathing issues on terrain as well. Offensive bladesongs are all projectile , even the condition one.

Honestly I don't know why the f3 shatter Bladesong Dissonance is even blockable if it's going to use up all your blades. It is on 38s cooldown and you don't have alacrity or Improved Alacrity from chrono to reduce this. Bladeturn Requiem isn't an invuln it's a block. Rain of Swords has less damage than wells or even guardian symbols and has a super obvious animation. Sword of Decimation doesn't finish any downed targets , although if you actually manage to land it well at least it is 2.0 coefficient.

All these problems add up to a spec that simply doesn't work in any group WVW setting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Nope...

saaaaaaaaame girl

in the betas i tried so hard

i said to myself

"if they could just fix it being reflected it wouldn't be "all that bad"....."
next beta, they added unblockable

hurray

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanddddddddddd people A/D strafed and it didn't matter in any capacity, again, small scare, roaming, or large groups

it just whiffs no matter what happens

it's a beam that isn't even good as a beam that already has issues with terrain and even targetting for larger numbers

including the fact that, even if they finally hit, again they barely just... even have much of an impact to begin with

back to GS ambush for another 5 years i guess

Edited by Alpha.1308
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's quite possibly one of the least threatening things to come up against in WvW right now, whether that's roaming, havoc or zerging. You can just dive into them and auto-attack within their character model as they constantly interrupt their bladesongs as they attempt to face you and actually get something off. If a Bladesong comes my way I'm just able to kite out of the way of anything that isn't Bladesong Sorrow. Condi Virtuoso is even less threatening than power as you only really need to avoid the Bladesong Sorrow burst and there's no sustained Condi damage from clones to worry about anymore. I am absolutely destroying Virtuosos on my Thief - it's not even fair 😆

I've been playing Virtuoso myself and honestly staff feels like a must against anything that has a leap/teleport in a 1v1/group encounter (that's basically everything now) or it's just too easy to melt to Cc chains plus cleave. I actually found myself playing identically to the same old core shatter burst Mesmer - pre-casting Bladesong Harmony with blink for a point-blank burst - to reliably land my bladesongs. This is of course inferior to all other Mesmer specs as you can't do ye olde Mirror Blade as well as your shatter AND it's single target so you can't punish groups.

Virtuoso is very VERY much a PvE spec 🤗

Edited by Simonoly.4352
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, Simonoly.4352 said:

It's quite possibly one of the least threatening things to come up against in WvW right now, whether that's roaming, havoc or zerging. You can just dive into them and auto-attack within their character model as they constantly interrupt their bladesongs as they attempt to face you and actually get something off. If a Bladesong comes my way I'm just able to kite out of the way of anything that isn't Bladesong Sorrow. Condi Virtuoso is even less threatening than power as you only really need to avoid the Bladesong Sorrow burst and there's no sustained Condi damage from clones to worry about anymore. I am absolutely destroying Virtuosos on my Thief - it's not even fair 😆

I've been playing Virtuoso myself and honestly staff feels like a must against anything that has a leap/teleport in a 1v1/group encounter (that's basically everything now) or it's just too easy to melt to Cc chains plus cleave. I actually found myself playing identically to the same old core shatter burst Mesmer - pre-casting Bladesong Harmony with blink for a point-blank burst - to reliably land my bladesongs. This is of course inferior to all other Mesmer specs as you can't do ye olde Mirror Blade as well as your shatter AND it's single target so you can't punish groups.

Virtuoso is very VERY much a PvE spec 🤗

So looks like nothing got fixed, unfortunate =/

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, RisenHowl.2419 said:

So looks like nothing got fixed, unfortunate =/

They did note there is an upcoming competative update for eSpecs.

On the competitive side, the mechanist is one of two elite specializations getting adjusted in this update. We're already planning some additional competitive balance changes for the next regular live update, but both the mechanist and the vindicator stood out as the main outliers in early post-EoD data, and we wanted to get in a few adjustments at the first opportunity

• Thanks 1