Mommy, untamed is ugly!!

ZeftheWicked.3076

I'm having it up to here with all the forum kids complaining about how ugly untamed is.
If you want unicorns an rainbows go grab a dreamer or aurene's leges and play a pink thief.

Untamed is a DARK ranger, he's supposed to be much darker and somewhat repulsive.
Where does the untamed npc live? Echovald. The darkest of all forest areas in gw2.
What other profession is he drawing from? Obviously necro - boon rip and even corrputs, massive increase to tankyness via stat based defenses.
Do ranger pets looks like Rox with big anime eyes? NO! They're drooling savage beasts that maul your enemies!

He is supposed to be dark and his skills somewhat dark and ugly, because he brings AN UGLY DEATH!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 10

So, you had me until the:

56 minutes ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

What other profession is he drawing from? Obviously necro - boon rip and even corrputs, massive increase to tankyness via stat based defenses.

Build a full tank, go into WvW, and show me how you can survive any longer than say - soulbeast. Further how you are contributing anything beneficial to your squad, while using hammer as well. Corrupting 2 boons at range and an occasional bubble on a pet that insta-dies /= necro. 

My comment sounds more negative than I actually mean it to be, so don't read it harshly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Strider.7849 said:

Build a full tank, go into WvW, and show me how you can survive any longer than say - soulbeast.

That's an easy to be negative here... Untamed relying on the pet, mean that he isn't fit for WvW. There is no helping it, the moment the devs said: "the Untamed give another set of skill to his pet", we all knew that untamed would be dead for WvW.

However, in small scale fights where the pet have less survivability issues, what Zeff say isn't wrong. Worse, in PvE, a tanky build will give you:

- 25% damage reduction from VoW of the Untamed (10% competitive modes)

- 33% damage reduction from protection

- 5% from Oakheart salve

- the occasional 50% damage reduction from forest's fortification

- 1700+  Life siphon on ambush

- 1700 barrier on cantrip... etc.

Before Forest's fortification you're easily at 50% damage reduction (Just add 10% damage reduction from food to reach the 50% in WvW). With it you're down to 75% damage reduction. Good self barrier generation, life siphon, many sources of regenerations, some evade skills on weapon (even block on GS), decent access to weakness, boon hate... etc.

Soulbeast is good at nullifying damage, Untamed is good at reducing incoming damage (It is similar to necromancer which suck at nullifying damage but reduce them and soak them well with health point).

So it's definitely not wrong to say that Untamed draw many things from the Necromancer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

That's an easy to be negative here... Untamed relying on the pet, mean that he isn't fit for WvW. There is no helping it, the moment the devs said: "the Untamed give another set of skill to his pet", we all knew that untamed would be dead for WvW.

However, in small scale fights where the pet have less survivability issues, what Zeff say isn't wrong. Worse, in PvE, a tanky build will give you:

- 25% damage reduction from VoW of the Untamed (10% competitive modes)

- 33% damage reduction from protection

- 5% from Oakheart salve

- the occasional 50% damage reduction from forest's fortification

- 1700+  Life siphon on ambush

- 1700 barrier on cantrip... etc.

Before Forest's fortification you're easily at 50% damage reduction (Just add 10% damage reduction from food to reach the 50% in WvW). With it you're down to 75% damage reduction. Good self barrier generation, life siphon, many sources of regenerations, some evade skills on weapon (even block on GS), decent access to weakness, boon hate... etc.

Soulbeast is good at nullifying damage, Untamed is good at reducing incoming damage (It is similar to necromancer which suck at nullifying damage but reduce them and soak them well with health point).

So it's definitely not wrong to say that Untamed draw many things from the Necromancer.

Damage reduction isn't additive

56 minutes ago, Hallow.7368 said:

Damage reduction isn't additive

I know that.

(1-0.25 Vow of the Untamed)x(1-0.33 Protection)x(1-0.05 Oakheart salve)= 0.47 or 53% damage reduction in PvE.

(1-0.1 vow of the untamed)x(1-0.33 protection)x(1-0.05 Oakheart salve)x(1-0.1 damage reduction food)= 0.507 or 49.3% damage reduction in WvW.

(1-0.1 vow of the untamed)x(1-0.33 protection)x(1-0.05 Oakheart salve)= 0.564 or 43.6% damage reduction in sPvP.

Multiply all these by 0.5 when under forest's fortitude for roughly 75% damage reduction.

Edit: I can even do necromancer if you want:

(1-0.33 Protection)x(1-0.33 shroud)= 0.435 or 57% damage reduction while in shroud (PvE) / Reaper can add 20% damage reduction through infusing terror for 65% damage reduction in shroud. Scourge got prot and sand as blood or (1-0.33)x(1-0.15)= 0.56 or 44% damage reduction

(1-0.33 Protection)x(1-0.5 shroud)= 0.33 or 66% damage reduction while in shroud (sPvP) / Reaper can add 20% damage reduction through infusing terror for 74% damage reduction in shroud. Scourge got prot and sand as blood or (1-0.33)x(1-0.09)= 0.60 or 40% damage reduction

(1-0.33 Protection)x(1-0.5 shroud)x(1-0.1 food)= 0.297 or 70% damage reduction (WvW) / Reaper can add 20% damage reduction through infusing terror for 76% damage reduction in shroud. Scourge got prot and sand as blood or (1-0.33)x(1-0.09)x(1-0.1)= 0.54 or 46% damage reduction

Edited by Dadnir.5038

8 hours ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

I'm having it up to here with all the forum kids complaining about how ugly untamed is.
If you want unicorns an rainbows go grab a dreamer or aurene's leges and play a pink thief.

Untamed is a DARK ranger, he's supposed to be much darker and somewhat repulsive.
Where does the untamed npc live? Echovald. The darkest of all forest areas in gw2.
Do ranger pets looks like Rox with big anime eyes? NO! They're drooling savage beasts that maul your enemies!

He is supposed to be dark and his skills somewhat dark and ugly, because he brings AN UGLY DEATH!

Drooling savage beasts that have rolled in sewage and stink. Pretty sure that looking like you're covered in sh*t isn't the same as being "dark".

Edited by wolfyrik.2017
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

So ... You're the adult in the room? 

Sure, keep telling yourself that, buddy.

As to your point, such that it is, "Dark" and "sewer sludge" really are different things.

• Like 6

On 3/19/2022 at 7:32 AM, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

And the funky green rash looks better how exactly?

P.S. It even beats the Soulbeast's fart shroud. 😂

P.P.S. 46 years old = kid. Okayyyy. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1