Epic of Virtuoso's missing sustain..

ZeftheWicked.3076

1 hour ago, Levetty.1279 said:

Why are people so obsessed with using Inspiration on Virtuoso?

Cuz specifically in WvW roaming is an excellent way to keep yourself alive while having conditions slowly killing the opponent. Which is a very good strategy whenever you are facing a non tank build.

I’m trying a lot Chaos over Inspi as of late, and I’m liking it tbh, but on the other hand asking people why they are obsessed with Inspiration seems suspect. It’s simply a good trait line for Virtuoso in WvW.

Edit: I have to add, WvW is the land of conditions, so having a cleanse per each shatter is actually one of the major points for using it.

Edited by Ombras.2853
  • Like 3

On 3/30/2022 at 6:47 PM, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

It's no big secret Virtuoso is a trainwreck in terms of defense. Especially in PvE where it should shine..
This is both due to misguided design and some additional hits from the side during launch of EoD.

Mesmer at it's core has it's defense cut into two parts - misdirection/deception/crowd control and standard healing/damage mitigation.
Problem is that the latter is weak at best compared to other professions because of the former part.
Mesmer is not supposed to tank hits, his job is to keep enemy focused on his illusions while he does his work from behind the scenes.
Healing is there to patch up few scratches he did take, and some panic button skills to stop unfortunate big hit from smashing your skull.

But Virtuoso throws out half of that defense out the window, giving little in return. EoD added it's own extra blows too.

1. No clones means Virtuoso gets 95% of mobs' attention. There are phantasms but they are very short lived and on cooldowns.
2. Stealth is  near useless. There's no clones to shift enemy attention to. Or to keep pouring condies while you stay hidden and heal up.
3. Misdirection - same story. Skills that remove enemy targetting off you, are useless - you're the only enemy there!
4. Rune of Tormenting was gutted to oblivion. Even for non virtuoso mesmer specs having it was crucial for sustain.
5. Very condi unfriendly - condi virtuoso wants high precision. There are nearly no tanky gear sets that have high precision and good condi output.
Only one that comes to mind is rabid and that comes with it's price (no expertise, no vitality, no power damage of any kind).

Basically virtuoso must either kite real well (not much of an option vs ranged mobs) or play like a necromancer - facetanking most hits.
Except necro has phletora of tools exactly for that situation while virtuoso not only lacks such, he has half of his initial mesmer defenses stripped away!

have younactuslly played condi virt? the major adept trait is silly good for sustaining.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombras.2853 said:

Cuz specifically in WvW roaming is an excellent way to keep yourself alive while having conditions slowly killing the opponent. Which is a very good strategy whenever you are facing a non tank build.

I’m trying a lot Chaos over Inspi as of late, and I’m liking it tbh, but on the other hand asking people why they are obsessed with Inspiration seems suspect. It’s simply a good trait line for Virtuoso in WvW.

Edit: I have to add, WvW is the land of conditions, so having a cleanse per each shatter is actually one of the major points for using it.

Its not an excellent way at all, its the best way for Virtuoso to do it. An excellent way would be to swap to Chrono or Mirage and use it (more so Mirage) since they synergise with it a lot better.

Also doesn't explain why I keep seeing people trying to shoehorn it into PvE builds too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Ombras.2853 said:

Well, you’re doing something wrong then.

I’m sorry, but in instanced content you have allies who are appointed to heal he party, so that you as a Dps class have to focus to shorten mechanics killing stuff as fast as you can.

In low level fractals you can play whatever, more like open world non end-game content, in T4 people will (rightly) kick you out if you do so.

Honestly you are right I normally only switch to offhealer when we are dying alot on end game PvE content.

That and of course I normally use in open world content so I facetank. 

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Levetty.1279 said:

Its not an excellent way at all, its the best way for Virtuoso to do it. An excellent way would be to swap to Chrono or Mirage and use it (more so Mirage) since they synergise with it a lot better.

Also doesn't explain why I keep seeing people trying to shoehorn it into PvE builds too.

I think most Mesmers just build swap whenever they want. I use what is most effective thing at that time and sometimes that is 1200 range offhealer.

I mean I have quickness chrono with both dps and full healer gear, along with two sets for my mirage one for alacrity and one for condition damage. I only have one set for Virtuoso but I could see myself getting some healing power trinkets we shall see. 

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Confused 1