Balanced WvW Class

Gerrick.7489

This may not be possible but I'm looking for a class that deals damage at range, can be used in a zerg, and is viable at solo roaming. Just returned to the game and it seems that my faction is just getting dominated in WvW so if that becomes a pattern I'd like to be able to go take a camp or two on my own in the off hours. I'd also like to be able to participate in zergs and be at least somewhat useful to my teammates. I've tried Firebrand a bit in the past and its not bad but felt a little awkward to play. Currently playing with Willbender and it's fun but the PvE build I'm using seems like it would be too squishy in WvW. Anyone with WvW experience have any advice?

5 hours ago, Gerrick.7489 said:

This may not be possible but I'm looking for a class that deals damage at range, can be used in a zerg, and is viable at solo roaming. Just returned to the game and it seems that my faction is just getting dominated in WvW so if that becomes a pattern I'd like to be able to go take a camp or two on my own in the off hours. I'd also like to be able to participate in zergs and be at least somewhat useful to my teammates. I've tried Firebrand a bit in the past and its not bad but felt a little awkward to play. Currently playing with Willbender and it's fun but the PvE build I'm using seems like it would be too squishy in WvW. Anyone with WvW experience have any advice?

Necromancer is what you are searching, it can be played solo or in zergs, has melee and range options and can easily take camps.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gerrick.7489 said:

Did you have any particular elite specs or builds in mind? Any preference for one over the others?

Elementalist is theoretically a strong ranged option in WvW zerg but lack the confort that a higher health pool would give him. In roaming, a weaver can be quite strong but at the cost of a high pace of skill use (which can give the feeling that it is difficult to play).

Engineer have range but is too tedious to use at range in zerg fight. Can be quite strong in roaming.

Guardian can have the range but it's objectively an inferior option as it lack offensive power at range. Not that great at roaming.

Mesmer have the range but rely too heavily on it's clones to be of use in zerg (theoretically you could use virtuoso there but it's overspecialization in damage don't make it attractive there). It's roaming ability is a bit below average at the moment.

Necromancer will always be welcome in zerg due to their large base health pool and high boon hate abilities. It's performances in roaming are more arguable.

Ranger isn't well received in zerg due to the pet that can die quite easily. Can perform quite well in roaming.

Revenant capitalize on it's hammer in WvW zerg for ranged damage and control. In roaming, it does have better QoL in it's mobility compared to the necromancer.

Thief is often seen as having an health pool and damage mitigation ability not on par to be a good zerg profession. Still good at roaming.

Warrior don't really have the range that you look for in zerg fight. Can perform well in the right hands when roaming but more often than not people will have a hard time achieving anything with it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Gerrick.7489 said:

Keep going on Willbender.

Celestial Willbender to be more specific. You will love it

• Like 1