I hate the Jade Bot.

2 hours ago, jahaan.1405 said:

You hate it??? I can't even use mine!!!! There is no way for me to deploy it unless I'm at the one heart in New Kaineng City. Did I miss something???? Did I sell something I need???

It wasn't 100% clear in-game, but you need to equip a Jade Bot Core to utilize anything. The personal story grants a tier 1 core. That heart event is a tutorial for unlocking the core in the story.

How I learned of this was from a GW2 livestream on Twitch. They were talking about how if we didn't like the Jade Bot we could just unequip the core.

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Quench.7091 said:

It wasn't 100% clear in-game, but you need to equip a Jade Bot Core to utilize anything. The personal story grants a tier 1 core. That heart event is a tutorial for unlocking the core in the story.

How I learned of this was from a GW2 livestream on Twitch. They were talking about how if we didn't like the Jade Bot we could just unequip the core.

What I'm trying to find out is, how can you deploy it in areas without control panels or work benches? I've read quite a bit of articles and watched videos but it's not clear on whether you can deploy it anywhere, or just certain areas. Some have said we will be able to use them through out the entire map, others say just Cantha. Is there a point where a tab will show up near the boat and fishing pole?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jahaan.1405 said:

What I'm trying to find out is, how can you deploy it in areas without control panels or work benches? I've read quite a bit of articles and watched videos but it's not clear on whether you can deploy it anywhere, or just certain areas. Some have said we will be able to use them through out the entire map, others say just Cantha. Is there a point where a tab will show up near the boat and fishing pole?

For now, the flight mode can only be accessed at certain terminals. It is structured this way for completing puzzles at a starting point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hate is such a strong word.  If you hate the jade bot based on what you've said, you might want to calm down a bit.

That said, the jade bot offers options. The options don't all have to be meaningful choices. I can't think of many masteries in the game right now that offer me meaningful choices. I have every mount right there and can switch between them at will after all. Gliding coexists with my ability to use nuhoch wallows. Even elite specs, you can swap between out of combat. This whole meaningful choices is a buzzword people use when they don't like something, even though the masteries and elite specs we haver right now have never given us meaningful choices and it was okay until now. It's just because you don't like the jade bots.

The only real issue with the for me is you need them for every character if you want buffs on every character. This game has always been very friendly to alts, but fishing and jade bots change that to some degree. So instead of wasting shared slots on my characters on fishing stuff, or keeping it in my bank I created a fishing character.  Jade bots are the same thing. I don't like anything that punished me for having a lot of chararcters.

The extra vitality will help some new players and starting players, and casual players a bit, maybe help them survive a few seconds longer. Are they even active in challenging PvE content that's not open world?

• Like 3

My thoughts:

I enjoy the extra vitality of the jade bots - I struggle to survive most of the time anyway in PvE. Does jade bot cores giving extra health make any sense? Not really, but I ain't saying no to extra health 😄 

I think the jade bot stations which are required to swap out service chips and sensory arrays is a complete waste of time and really stupid. I say scrap the stations completely and just allow us to swap them out whenever. It's an odd object/item to add to the game, and it only makes the game less enjoyable. I'm lucky I'm in a guild which has a jade bot station right at the beginning, but it's just one of those sorts of additions to the game where you're like 'what on earth were anet thinking by adding this? this adds absolutely nothing to the game, but being a nuisance' - at least that's what I think about them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Hate is such a strong word.  If you hate the jade bot based on what you've said, you might want to calm down a bit.

That said, the jade bot offers options. The options don't all have to be meaningful choices. I can't think of many masteries in the game right now that offer me meaningful choices. I have every mount right there and can switch between them at will after all. Gliding coexists with my ability to use nuhoch wallows. Even elite specs, you can swap between out of combat. This whole meaningful choices is a buzzword people use when they don't like something, even though the masteries and elite specs we haver right now have never given us meaningful choices and it was okay until now. It's just because you don't like the jade bots.

The only real issue with the for me is you need them for every character if you want buffs on every character. This game has always been very friendly to alts, but fishing and jade bots change that to some degree. So instead of wasting shared slots on my characters on fishing stuff, or keeping it in my bank I created a fishing character.  Jade bots are the same thing. I don't like anything that punished me for having a lot of chararcters.

The extra vitality will help some new players and starting players, and casual players a bit, maybe help them survive a few seconds longer. Are they even active in challenging PvE content that's not open world?

The Jade Bot has meaningful upgrades with meaningless choices. GW2 actually set itself to eliminate these things. Older MMORPGs used to have players do things like equip their gathering tools inside of their weapon slots and put aquatic armor on to help breath longer. The Jade Bots are like those old things that GW2 made sure not to include, except you need to visit the Guild Hall first.

Buzzword is just a buzzword these days.

We can agree on the alt thing, even though I'm not much of an alt person myself.

They made a pretty interesting choice with the Jade Bot Core. While vitality could help players, it could also easily hurt them. Armor and weapons are a top priority for players. The Jade Core is a bit of a distraction from that priority for the newer players. It is better suited towards older players that die a lot. However, I do wonder when the developers will look at the new health, go "This is the standard now," and then raise the damage of NPCs in the newer open world content. Such a thing would negate this understanding for the vitality, while retaining it as another stone in the path for a new player to cap out.

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Quench.7091 said:

The Jade Bot has meaningful upgrades with meaningless choices. GW2 actually set itself to eliminate these things. Older MMORPGs used to have players do things like equip their gathering tools inside of their weapon slots and put aquatic armor on to help breath longer. The Jade Bots are like those old things that GW2 made sure not to include, except you need to visit the Guild Hall first.

Buzzword is just a buzzword these days.

We can agree on the alt thing, even though I'm not much of an alt person myself.

They made a pretty interesting choice with the Jade Bot Core. While vitality could help players, it could also easily hurt them. Armor and weapons are a top priority for players. The Jade Core is a bit of a distraction from that priority for the newer players. It is better suited towards older players that die a lot. However, I do wonder when the developers will look at the new health, go "This is the standard now," and then raise the damage of NPCs in the newer open world content. Such a thing would negate this understanding for the vitality, while retaining it as another stone in the path for a new player to cap out.

GW 2 didn't say it was set to eliminate these things in the entire game. That's taking what was said out of context. They were talking specifically about character builds and having to choose one thing or another, not everything in the game. Masteries have always been this way and will always be this way most likely. They never said we're going to eliminate all meaningless choices from the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

GW 2 didn't say it was set to eliminate these things in the entire game. That's taking what was said out of context. They were talking specifically about character builds and having to choose one thing or another, not everything in the game. Masteries have always been this way and will always be this way most likely. They never said we're going to eliminate all meaningless choices from the game.

The gathering tool slots they have now were known back in 2011. That speaks volumes! The game didn't even release yet (2012) and we somehow knew about not needing to equip tools in our weapon slots. They wanted us to know their standards. Not needing to equip tools in our weapon slots was great news back then!

The Jade Bot is acting against these actions. Two unspecialized slots to rule over all of these specialized Jade Bot upgrades is very similar to what they've been avoided with tools and weapon slots. I'm not going to ignore that. They should know this stuff is a nuisance, so I'll say it's a nuisance.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Quench.7091 said:

The gathering tool slots they have now were known back in 2011. That speaks volumes! The game didn't even release yet (2012) and we somehow knew about not needing to equip tools in our weapon slots. They wanted us to know their standards. Not needing to equip tools in our weapon slots was great news back then!

The Jade Bot is acting against these actions. Two unspecialized slots to rule over all of these specialized Jade Bot upgrades is very similar to what they've been avoided with tools and weapon slots. I'm not going to ignore that. They should know this stuff is a nuisance, so I'll say it's a nuisance.

This isn't true.  Not even a little. Choosing one rune presuposed you're not picking another rune. Picking one sigil means you're not picking another sigil. Gathering tools are different, because gathering isn't a bonus to the game it's a requirement. You really need to gather if you want to make significant headway for most players anyway. For some it's the main way they get income.

But if you look at choices you have to make in the game, even at the beginning, you can do more damage or you can have more health with your stats on weapons on armor.  You have to choose, more tanky or more DPS.  It's always been a choice.  Glass cannon or turtle.  Cherry picking what you see doesn't change the game, not even a little.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

This isn't true.  Not even a little. Choosing one rune presuposed you're not picking another rune. Picking one sigil means you're not picking another sigil. Gathering tools are different, because gathering isn't a bonus to the game it's a requirement. You really need to gather if you want to make significant headway for most players anyway. For some it's the main way they get income.

But if you look at choices you have to make in the game, even at the beginning, you can do more damage or you can have more health with your stats on weapons on armor.  You have to choose, more tanky or more DPS.  It's always been a choice.  Glass cannon or turtle.  Cherry picking what you see doesn't change the game, not even a little.

When you go roller beetle racing, do you ever choose the skiff Jade Bot booster? Why not?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Quench.7091 said:

When you go roller beetle racing, do you ever choose the skiff Jade Bot booster? Why not?

No, but I have access to whatever I need, like I can respec my skills. The only problem is keeping them accessible to all my characters without making more.  It's not either or, you just swap them out.  We even have a table to do so in the guild hall.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

No, but I have access to whatever I need, like I can respec my skills. The only problem is keeping them accessible to all my characters without making more.  It's not either or, you just swap them out.  We even have a table to do so in the guild hall.

Ever play the game World Of Warcraft? There is a profession for fishing. You would need to first equip a fishing pole to fish, up until the Mists of Pandaria expansion, but you would still lose your +fishing skill bonuses. You could melee with your fishing pole, if you desired. It wasn't optimal, but you could do it. It was better to just swap it out.

Guild Wars 2 streamlined the experience. Why would anyone really want to equip a low damage gathering tool as a weapon? For the same reason someone would equip a jade sliver booster for a mount race. It's a choice, but it's meaningless. If GW2 had fishing poles in our weapon slots, you could make the same points.

Spoiler

No, but I have access to whatever I need, like I can equip my weapon/fishing pole. The only problem is keeping them accessible to all my characters without making more.  It's not either or, you just swap them out. 

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Quench.7091 said:

Ever play the game World Of Warcraft? There is a profession for fishing. You would need to first equip a fishing pole to fish, up until the Mists of Pandaria expansion, but you would still lose your +fishing skill bonuses. You could melee with your fishing pole, if you desired. It wasn't optimal, but you could do it. It was better to just swap it out.

Guild Wars 2 streamlined the experience. Why would anyone really want to equip a low damage gathering tool as a weapon? For the same reason someone would equip a jade sliver booster for a mount race. It's a choice, but it's meaningless. If GW2 had fishing poles in our weapon slots, you could make the same points.

Reveal hidden contents

No, but I have access to whatever I need, like I can equip my weapon/fishing pole. The only problem is keeping them accessible to all my characters without making more.  It's not either or, you just swap them out. 

It's doesn't change a word I've said.  ANet talked about meaningful choices, but only in regards to making builds. They wanted people to have to choose between support and DPS, or they said so anyway. They didn't always make it work that way, though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

It's doesn't change a word I've said.  ANet talked about meaningful choices, but only in regards to making builds. They wanted people to have to choose between support and DPS, or they said so anyway. They didn't always make it work that way, though.

It was a good discussion, but I don't feel like a promise is necessary, while their actions are more to me than that. They've probably got a good grasp on what a person could find wrong with this situation. Sometimes it just takes somebody to make a statement to recognize it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

My problem is that I can't have both a Mount Booster and a junk converter on at the same time. Utility should be separate from loot.

Not much different from how you have to choose one weapon sigil over another. Defense or offense, you have to choose. If you want to change runes, sigils etc then you have to re-equip.

The only complaint I have with the bot is that currently you have to re-equip at either eod maps at the station or at one you purchase for your guild hall.

I don't have a guild hall and am not a member of one that does. Sure I could join one, but to go to just for bots? No thanks. If they allowed the bot station to be used in the LA guild headquarters I'd be happy.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I do not have a problem with the added vitality. I think they could still find a good balance where without the bot the stuff still would be doable. But with bot a bit easier. Another thing we should not forget though: There is stuff that generates other stats from vitality. (Like traits ... or maybe the utility - don't know about all of those since I do not use them too often. The ones that give power or other stuff based on the vitality.)

Older maps work without the bot. EoD buyers get the bot ... yeah ... for future expansions it might be an "incentive" to buy EoD ... like with the skyscale (so convenient) that gets people to recommend buying s4 first to new players.

We'll see if this is just "more convenience" like with the skyscale. I think other stats might have had a bigger impact. Against the super strong bosses that hit hard (where you also need to learn to dodge and stuff) ... it might just be a difference of 1 hit or so.

I would have preferred more/different customization options though. Having an own stats set and getting to chose with plus and minus buttons ... where the higher options cost more. (And the core providing base points to spend based on the core level.)

For example core level 1: 10 points, level 2: 20 points .... level 10: 100 points.

Get 20 vitality for 10 points. But the next 20 vitality would cost 20 points. Something like that.

Then including the booster/mount and other stuff into things that can be enabled for spending points. (The tier 1-3 modules only as a "unlock" per characterand you could enable maybe instead of 2 ... even 3 - but then from the lower tiers cause if enabling 2 tier 3 it would spend all the points.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Haha 1