Unable to Start 'Flame and Frost' - Do Not Get the In-game Mail

I have the same issue, not picking up the inbox message and the game tells me I need to read it to progress. Submitted a bug report about it but I've been unable to find a workaround. A possible temporary solution is running the story with another character - when I switched to an alt and started the story on it, the mail did appear inbox allowed me to continue. Doesn't help if you have a main you want to clear everything with, or you are running a single character.

Sad to see others are having the same issue. I'm not sure whether I did get the mail and accidentally deleted it prior to starting S1 or if it just never gave it to me, but essentially I am now soft locked out of the first quest due to not receiving that mail to read it and unable to do S1 on my main character (haven't checked my thief alt but honestly it isn't the char I want to play rn and doesn't actually solve the issue). And no, my mail isn't backed up, it was empty and I've done plenty of TP sell/buys since I noticed I was soft locked.

I was able to start the episode and do the first few chapters, but now I am stuck waiting on a mail message for the next part and I don't think it ever showed up. I deleted some other story messages, logged off and back on, quit and restarted the episode...no change.

Hopefully the devs can stop the Molten Alliance from shooting down our mail carriers and get us moving again.

EDIT:  Well, my ticket just got a reply. The GM seems to be telling me to just submit it as a bug report and hope for a fix. Not sure if they misunderstood what I was asking, or if there is really nothing they can do.

Edited by Tanek.5983
update

1 hour ago, Tanek.5983 said:

I was able to start the episode and do the first few chapters, but now I am stuck waiting on a mail message for the next part and I don't think it ever showed up. I deleted some other story messages, logged off and back on, quit and restarted the episode...no change.

Hopefully the devs can stop the Molten Alliance from shooting down our mail carriers and get us moving again.

EDIT:  Well, my ticket just got a reply. The GM seems to be telling me to just submit it as a bug report and hope for a fix. Not sure if they misunderstood what I was asking, or if there is really nothing they can do.

The CS Team can't 'fix' bugs.  That is work for the QA Team and the Devs responsible.  Thus, a Bug Report is the best action to take.

19 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

The CS Team can't 'fix' bugs.  That is work for the QA Team and the Devs responsible.  Thus, a Bug Report is the best action to take.

I seem to run into this misunderstanding now and again, so I have to assume I am the one who is not understanding something. I never ask Support to fix bugs. I am happy to put in bug reports for that. I ask Support to help me get around the bug until it is fixed. I don't know what the full extent of their powers are, but in the past when story steps were stuck, it was sometimes possible to have that step marked complete, or maybe reset the chapter to allow progression. 

Last time a character of mine was stuck this solidly on a story step was back during the first reorganization of the personal story in...2012? 2013? Whenever it was. And I was stuck like that for years. At the time I did not want them to just complete the step for me since that part of the story could not be replayed. Now, though? If they were able to mark the "read mail message" complete, I could go on with my day and QA/Dev could work on finding out why it happened to prevent others from having the same problem.

Again, I don't know what they can and can't do these days. Maybe the times of GMs being able to do anything in the game itself are gone. I put in the bug reports and I'll hope for the best. Thanks.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Not sure if it's related or not, but at the step after Molten Furnace where A Quiet Celebration should start, I got two mails right on top of each other; I had just started reading the one from Rox, and then one appeared from Braham that overwrote it and made Rox's letter disappear before I could finish reading it. This also seemed to progress the story to "Meet Braham at the Great Lodge" and seems to have locked me out of finishing Avenger of the Dispossessed, since I can't trigger Rox's story scene at the Black Citadel Stockade.     

Again, not sure if it's related, but since the story steps and advancement are triggered by the mail you receive it seems likely.

I am in same situation. I tried deleting emails on all my characters. Did not work. On the bright side, I had birthday emails on 3 lesser played characters and found out 1 character did not claim their birthday reward from 2 years ago, so that was a plus. 🙂

11 hours ago, tclark.8956 said:

Not sure if it's related or not, but at the step after Molten Furnace where A Quiet Celebration should start, I got two mails right on top of each other; I had just started reading the one from Rox, and then one appeared from Braham that overwrote it and made Rox's letter disappear before I could finish reading it. This also seemed to progress the story to "Meet Braham at the Great Lodge" and seems to have locked me out of finishing Avenger of the Dispossessed, since I can't trigger Rox's story scene at the Black Citadel Stockade.     

Again, not sure if it's related, but since the story steps and advancement are triggered by the mail you receive it seems likely.

Are you sure your Rox mail is not there (in the mail listings) to be read at any time?  You are supposed to get both mails.  You can't trigger the 'Rox story scene' until after you finish the 'Braham story scene'. 

Good luck.

1 minute ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Are you sure your Rox mail is not there (in the mail listings) to be read at any time?  You are supposed to get both mails.  You can't trigger the 'Rox story scene' until after you finish the 'Braham story scene'. 

Good luck.

Yeah, it's not there. I hadn't even finished reading it and it disappeared from the inbox, and the only one left was Braham's (I still have that one).    

Neither of them were triggering afterward; I could go into Knut Whitebear's lodge or the Black Citadel Stockade and walk around, but nothing was in either even though the story step seemed to suggest I should follow up with Rox and Braham. Finding information online to try and help was sort of impossible since the only info was from 9 years ago, and how things work isn't exactly the same.    

It did work when I logged in to play today, though, for whatever reason I was able to walk into Knut's lodge and continue without a problem. As far as I can tell, the in-game mails that move you to the next quest step had bugged somehow. 

Also run into this bug.

Wonder if it's because I started the story step from inside SAB which maybe blocks certain mail triggers the same way you can't open some containers?

Normally, there is an option to Restart a story but I only have the ability to Quit and then Resume, so I can never retrigger the mail.

Hopeful for a fix asap!

9 hours ago, JustSomeGuy.3721 said:

Also run into this bug.

Wonder if it's because I started the story step from inside SAB which maybe blocks certain mail triggers the same way you can't open some containers?

Normally, there is an option to Restart a story but I only have the ability to Quit and then Resume, so I can never retrigger the mail.

Hopeful for a fix asap!

My broken character also started it from inside SAB.

Anyone seen any news on the issues? I know it has only been a few workdays, but I was hoping the (very calm) alarm would shake loose a solution for any story steps stuck with missing mail before by group meets tomorrow night for the Molten Alliance "dungeon". 🙂

Pushing this - someone in the living world forums mentioned the bug as well. (So others will easier find this ghread.) I also have some guesses as to what might be the reason.

This stuff is recycled old content from back then in 2013. After having seen people mentioning the guard in the first instance (war meeting or "Quorum") not letting them pass ... I thought:

Maybe these old stuff was tied to personal story progress back then? My guess: They did not complete the whole personal story. Not being recognized as pact commander (yet) then. And the guard won't let them pass.

Similar thought about that letter. Though there seems to be another issue: Getting different letters when you are member of the vigil. Then - according to wiki - you get a 2nd letter from Zojja besides the one that is from your racial mentor. (I got 2 from Zojja as a Asuran vigil member.)

Back then vigil members were supposed to get the letter from Almorra - others from their racial mentor.

What if this requires people to have progressed to the core personal step where they fully join an order? (And people not having joined an order ... getting the bug - cause the script in the background breaks if if tries to do that check on the joined order to offer different dialogue options and letters based on it. Since then there is no order at all.)

Some seem to report that they got the bug on their main - and no bug on an alt? (Then this would not make sense since on their main they have completed everything including the full core personal story.)

Edited by Luthan.5236