The Skyscale Quest Line Is WAY Too Grindy, And Insulting [Merged]

3 minutes ago, seldomseenkd.4320 said:

Fair enough. I'm primarily talking about the gryphon unlock quest-chain which I completed in the last week. I admit I haven't done the skyscale unlock yet and was basing my opinion on the OPs description of it which seemed to be just more of the same wearing a different tie. If it's more engaging as you say then I look forward to playing through it.

Eh... so you just went into the discussion about it blindly for the sake of it? As much as you obviously might still dislike it after you're done with it, trying to argument for or against something you don't know seems rather pointless. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, seldomseenkd.4320 said:

If it's more engaging as you say then I look forward to playing through it.

Be aware it gets off to a "slow" start, with a couple of tours of Dragonfall. I will admit to thinking the second tour was somewhat unnecessary. But after that it gets more interesting. It includes a bunch of JPs which aren't everyone's cup of tea + a couple of group events which can sometimes be difficult to find groups for. BUT, you can also craft/buy skyscale treats to skip any of these that prove problematic. I think I skipped one of the events in Vabbi.

• Like 2

its me or ppl is missing the point here? the point is that this quest is TOO extreme to just get the mount, not saying the game is bad cuz of this, the game is amazing but not everyone have the time to make it, its just too many things to do and u can go on with the "then dont do it" just cuz u did it and like it dosnt mean everyone does same other way just cuz i dont like it or i dont have the time is the same with everyone, just dont go on about it just cuz u already did it and u dont want ppl to get "handouts" as ya say....

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, AnzuZuzu.8275 said:

its me or ppl is missing the point here? the point is that this quest is TOO extreme to just get the mount, not saying the game is bad cuz of this, the game is amazing but not everyone have the time to make it, its just too many things to do and u can go on with the "then dont do it" just cuz u did it and like it dosnt mean everyone does same other way just cuz i dont like it or i dont have the time is the same with everyone, just dont go on about it just cuz u already did it and u dont want ppl to get "handouts" as ya say....

I'd like a full set of legendary gear, but it's too grindy for me.  I don't have the time to raid, either.  Can we just give me legendary gear, please?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Xerac.1542 said:

Alright, serious discussion:

Could you explain to me again, what exactly is the problem with the skyscale quest? 

Every step of the way is unenjoyable. The living story is one of the weakest. The writing was bad. Taimi needs killed off already. The collections are not interesting in any way. The timegate on feeding only existing to drag on content.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'd like a full set of legendary gear, but it's too grindy for me.  I don't have the time to raid, either.  Can we just give me legendary gear, please?

u just have to get the legendary for everything right? can you explain what is ur obsession with legendary that has nothing to do with the mount yet u keep trying to hang it here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

GW2 relies on funneling everyone though some really tedious things because that's how it keeps people. But I bet it loses a lot of people that way too. I played other mmorpgs and they have better systems of player retention. And I am NOT talking about infinite vertical scaling. I don't play any mmos that actually do that anymore.

Edited by Redfeather.6401
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Drennon.7190 said:

Every step of the way is unenjoyable. The living story is one of the weakest. The writing was bad. Taimi needs killed off already. The collections are not interesting in any way. The timegate on feeding only existing to drag on content.

Then why do you do it when you obviously don’t enjoy it? I don’t get it. There is stuff in the game I don’t like, super adventure box for example. I just ignore it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, AnzuZuzu.8275 said:

It's not extreme, let alone "too extreme". If you think it's too much "to just get the mount" then don't do it. Judging by the amount of people riding skyscales, I'd say it's far from "too much" for "just a mount".

The main point I see here missed though is that it is an optional prestige mount you don't really need to play the game like you're playing it. You also dodged what that "also not everyone has the time to play 4 hours min" has to do with anything in this thread or the skyscale acquisition process.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, AnzuZuzu.8275 said:

No, they do get the point. The counter point is that this is an optional reward for those who do like this sort of reward earning process. I don't care for this sort of approach and so have skipped the Skyscale without any negative impact on my play. There are other methods of earning other optional rewards that I do enjoy and so I spend my play time pursuing them instead.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, seldomseenkd.4320 said:

There's nothing hard about unlocking these mounts, it's just tedious.

If these rewards were gated behind engaging content (that people would run even if these rewards weren't attached) then you'd have far less complaints.

This is the sentiment I think people need to keep in mind. Players will keep up with time gated quests and collections for a prize if that content is fun.

I hate to bring up WoW but here I go...

In World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade there was a time gated series of quests to get your Netherwing Drake, but people don't complain because it's fun. In fact to this day the Netherwing Dailies are pointed as some of the most fun daily quests WoW has ever produced.

It was a looong series too.

https://www.wow-pro.com/netherdrake-netherwing-mount-guide/

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Drennon.7190 said:

They have nothing to add to the actual discussion, but feel the need to be included. 

You still forgot to explain how anything here is a "barrier to entry".

52 minutes ago, seldomseenkd.4320 said:

But you admit the gryphon unlock chain was a bit naff, right? 😉

I'll take that as a win.

The only thing "I admitted" in the post you've quoted was that trying to argue about something you know next to nothing about seems pointless to me 😄

I don't know what irrelevant win you're talking about here tbh, the griffon has nothing to do with anything we wrote in this comment chain 😉 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Drennon.7190 said:

There’s a mount locked behind SAB?

No but if you don’t like the content then just don’t do it. Skyscale is not a necessity and you can use the others mounts just fine. No need to cry here for hours if you could just ignore the content you don’t like. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Drennon.7190 said:

But you’re here defending it for hours!? Why are you so threatened by the thought of making the mount easier to acquire?

I am not threatened by anything. They already made it easier to acquire. Why do you think you’re better than the rest of us?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2