The Skyscale Quest Line Is WAY Too Grindy, And Insulting [Merged]

• Forum Moderator.3074 changed the title to The Skyscale Quest Line Is WAY Too Grindy, And Insulting [Merged]
7 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

"Worst grind in any MMO" 

Tell me you never played an MMO before without telling me you never played an MMO before. 

Well, coming as someone that does have the Skyscale but not the griffon I would have to disagree it's even the worst grind in this game or even for the skyscale itself. (Not that I tried for Griffon-- I just don't care about doing story).

The first part of the collection is repetitious but in this day and age the map currency collection is pretty trivial because you have trains running this stuff really consistently, and can even mooch off a friend's instances if one was really that desperate to speed things up.

It took me 3 months to get the skyscale. However, this is because I stopped it for 2.5 months due to the initial triple collection parts. So in reality it only took me like 3 weeks.

Not saying the inital fetch quests don't suck, but getting hung up over the saddly in this day and age and threatening to quit is ridiculous, especially if you have other mounts.

Besides, it's a jack of all trades mounts meant for people that don't want to switch mounts a lot. But that also means there's usually a better mount for each given situation.

It's literally designed to not be mandatory!  Yet people are having breakdowns and wanting to quit, because ????? They don't level their other mounts, or don't understand how they work? That's not the game's problem.

Granted, my motivations for getting skyscale were different.  It was because of 2 guildies:

1.) I heard a guildie that was constantly complaining about it, so I decided to join them and getting it. Most of it was just making fun of them, but we did both get it eventually. It does open up Vision (still don't have that), but hey.

2.) I have another guildie that told me that Skyscale was always suboptimal (I don't really agree)  and if you properly switch mounts and actually know how to play the game, then you don't need it. I just wanted to verify this, and he did prove that switching between mounts like bunny quickly allows him to keep up if there's even a chance that SS gets caught on branches. However, I can afk with Skyscale before Teq, so there!

(Basically, it was strictly for fun. I cannot comprehend playing a game if it's not. Unless you get paid.)

Also:

3.)  Another friend just doesn't get the skyscale because they're good at griffon and seems to have no trouble getting anywhere with me.

4.) Another friend has both and always uses the Griffon

I can guarantee that anyone complaining about Skyscale being "mandatory" would still be slower to get around any of these players even if they weren't allowed the skyscale. (well maybe, not #1)

edit: Well, maybe I also wanted an advanced mount for EoD. That was sorta overkill though!

So what can I say? The real meta is getting friends.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Warlander.1384 said:

I havent played in years, came back and have been loving the game, bough all the stuff i was missing, some living world seasons, end of dragons. Been about 2 months and im not even at end of dragons yet. But i got caught up doing the roller beetle, then went on to getting a skyscale .....well what i can i say Anet, you have completely sucked the fun out of the game for me and as im typing this im downloading a new game to play, so good job and creating the worst grind I have ever personally experienced in any mmo. I would swear at you right now but that would probably just get this deleted. 

After grinding my way for almost 2 weeks i get to the saddle making part and thats where i lost it, I dont have enough resources to get the parts. And then i start adding up the time to grind those resources either through achievements or grinding out harvesting nodes and im looking at weeks more. Im sure this all made sense when the skyscale was new and players were stuck grinding at the end of pof and had piles of accumulated resources  and nothing better to do. But any new player ( upcoming steam release ) or returning player like me is just trying to pass through content and doesnt have whats needed. 

I expect you will have a lot more people giving up like i have once they see how absolutely painfully terrible and funsucking that grind is. Its just unacceptable at this point.

I recommend you either put the unlock in the black lion merchant ,( preferred, i would literally pay anything to be done with this now) or seriously scale back the required resources and hell take out some of the grind , its pointless and just terrible, its punishing for no reason. 

Anyways just want to say I hate you for ruining the fun i was having up until then, swear word swear word swear word...peace out.

If you are at the saddle you are practically there.

If you want a very easy way to get the resources, do the Return of Dragons collections for the LS4 maps. Each one rewards you with 250 of the currency for that map. Spend it on the saddle component.

Just saying, this would be the wost time to quit over not having a  Skyscale, when I was where you were I didn't have all resources ready, I did the Return collections for it, but more importantly, that was when I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 5/7/2022 at 7:13 AM, ugrakarma.9416 said:

lmao dude, a mount that make 99% scavenger hunting/navigation content trival, and all JP's that inst blocked for it....

Jp got blocked due to the Griffon, they were blocked before the Skyscale was made.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/2/2022 at 12:49 PM, Mutisija.5017 said:

the skyscale collection has already been nerfed enough. you can even straight up skip some parts of it if you want. the whole reason why it takes so much effort and grinding is that skyscale allows you to just ignore 95% obstacles, climbing, gliding and jumping in the game. you can even fling yourself over entire mountains instead of taking the intended path around. the work is imo more than reasonable compared to the advantages of having skyscale.

whats the point of this if u already have the other mounts at this point?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

im not against hardcore collection achievements but i have to agree that THIS MANY collections for just one mount its ridiculous and sadistic, ppl defending this s just that they have already done it or just dk what they are talking about, also not everyone has the time to play 4 hours min and to spect ppl to be doing the same quest for a year or so just to get the mount, talking about buying the "full game" but not really.... (gonna get bombarded but just a fact)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

12 minutes ago, AnzuZuzu.8275 said:

im not against hardcore collection achievements but i have to agree that THIS MANY collections for just one mount its ridiculous and sadistic, ppl defending this s just that they have already done it or just dk what they are talking about, also not everyone has the time to play 4 hours min and to spect ppl to be doing the same quest for a year or so just to get the mount, talking about buying the "full game" but not really.... (gonna get bombarded but just a fact)

Then dont do it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, AnzuZuzu.8275 said:

Single player games long before mmo have you grind to get stuffs or progress a difficult level even if people paid "full game". Some how GW2 is the worst offender, re-think about your flawed logic first before calling it a fact

"they have already done it" We've done it before the timegate reduction and "Return to" 250 map currency, we know it's much more tolerable now. I find the Skyscale's utility worth the grind but you can just stick to raptor and springer, worked well for my second account.

I will repeat that GW2 respect your time, it doesnt leave you behind if you quit, it certainly doesnt make you re-grind to make mount run faster or slightly increase equipment quality. I will say the only thing stopping you is you yourself. 

Edited by Ultramex.1506
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

Single player games long before mmo have you grind to get stuffs or progress a difficult level even if people paid "full game". Some how GW2 is the worst offender, re-think about your flawed logic first before calling it a fact

so ur better logic is that the more primitive games "do it too" ? ok nothing to say here not gonna get anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

I will repeat that GW2 respect your time

Not in this instance. Timegating and burying a mount under these collections is not respecting my time. 

Remember this is an entire function/system being gated. It’s not a skin or something cosmetic that doesn’t change the way you play. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Do people complaining about these collections even know what a grind is? By any reasonable definition, a grind would require you to repeat the same content over a protracted period. The closest I've come to grinding anything in GW2 was doing a Drizzlewood meta every day for a month in order to earn the Otter enchantment. I didn't have to do that or do it within a month, but it's something I set my heart on.
Skyscale was not a grind. The only repeated element was running round Dragonfall for two consecutive collections.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Drennon.7190 said:

Not in this instance. Timegating and burying a mount under these collections is not respecting my time. 

Remember this is an entire function/system being gated. It’s not a skin or something cosmetic that doesn’t change the way you play. 

Seriously?

The skyscale is not required to complete content.  I have several friends without one and they've been able to engage with every map, including EoD maps, using the mounts they have acquired from PoF.  The skyscale is a quality of life upgrade.  If you want one, then you have to do what is required to obtain one.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Drennon.7190 said:

Keep the barrier to entry extremely high 👍

I’m sure that will retain new players. 

And yet, with the Return To achievements, the barrier is lower than it's ever been.  Do you just want new players to log in and get everything for free without any effort?  Might as well remove the barrier to legendary gear, too. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Drennon.7190 said:

It should not take more than a day or two. Why is the most useful mount the longest grind? 

Because it is a prestige mount and not required to complete any content.

Should legendary gear likewise take only a day or two?

Sorry, but I cannot see your viewpoint so I'm going to just stop discussing it.  Good luck with your request.

Edited by kharmin.7683
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Because it is a prestige mount

Player power (a mount) shouldn’t be a prestige item. Cosmetics should be. 

Enjoy your fake prestige. The Mount doesn’t signify any player ability other than having the mental fortitude to slog through the most dreadful collection imaginable. 

Edited by Drennon.7190
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 6