Just some thoughts on WvW

MarkBecks.6453

So after the new skills for new professions, I notice that the game has moved from a combat game to push, pull, float and every kind of everything other than combat. I understand these builds help new players, but the fun factor of  having to use some brain capacity to who can float, push pull you into 20 circles of AOE has gone, never to return. I try run daredevil and Elie, given up on some of the others builds already and when I look at combat log, I get hit with trail of knives over and over (doesn't seem to be much cooldown), coalescence of ruin, or hammer rev, 8k damage. Some of the damage has been toned down yet 3k 4k 8k, on my log report, and using my best damage skill, can only get a quarter of some of those reports. AOE goes through and beyond the wall with NO LINE OF SIGHT, and personally, after playing for 10 years, I think this is the absolute worst state I have played in. This is my observation only, so dont jump on me, but the play style makes it easy for a bronze player to solo roam, while diamond players cant kill them on a build that was supposed to, huh! It would be nice to see some Devs trying to sort out game dynamics in WvW as this used to be a strong community, but sadly, numbers dwindled due to nothing been done, and hence the linking to keep the game alive. My concern is that if the Alliances are not what everyone expects as a Rose is still a Rose by any other name, then their will be a lost opportunity to retain this valuable community of WvW players.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Totally agree with Mark Beck .... WvW has totally been ruined for the individual or small group of 2 or 3 players who don't want to join guilds or large groups ... it's practically impossible to go from point A to point C without getting killed by some bronze with 10 million boons that 3 people can't even kill ... You have totally taken the enjoyment of solo/small group playing in WvW and do not know how much longer I will even bother.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I maybe dont get this... But u complain about the fact that you tried to solo a zerg with a thief and got chained gravwelled to the face? Apart from necro float cc i believe you got gravewelled and died in aoes. Revenant used to hitway harded with hammer btw , to the point of one shots so 8k is kinda fair considered you played thief and having 10 year experience . You mean bronze  solo players abuse ccs to kill diamond ranks , to the point of cheese? What does game dynamics have to do with alliances and population... im kinda confused by this thread tbh XD

Edited by MysteryDude.1572
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

It's so funny from a Wvw vet point of view when someone says 3k 4k and 8k hits are to high and needs nerfs. 

Let's vote for Stickwars2. 500dmg max. 

Its also funny from MMO vet to notice that over time hitpoints in MMOs went up a lot, while TTK went down a lot...DAOC duels used to last 10 minutes or more, and absolute highest hitpoints were below 3000

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Nikola.3841 said:

Its also funny from MMO vet to notice that over time hitpoints in MMOs went up a lot, while TTK went down a lot...DAOC duels used to last 10 minutes or more, and absolute highest hitpoints were below 3000

I have no idea what point you are trying to make here. 

Or why other mmos have anything to do with the discussion. 

• Confused 2

34 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I have no idea what point you are trying to make here. 

Or why other mmos have anything to do with the discussion. 

Probably that some of us favor fights that can last at least a minute, instead those that end in 5-6 seconds, during which you're often immobilized and unable to fight back at all
It sucks in a way when you know outcome just by seeing classes involved

Edited by Nikola.3841
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Nikola.3841 said:

Probably that some of us favor fights that can last at least a minute, instead those that end in 5-6 seconds, during which you're often immobilized and unable to fight back at all

And yet, you referenced DAOC about it being ‘good’ in that regard despite whole zergs being able to immobilized for extensive amounts of time?

1 minute ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

And yet, you referenced DAOC about it being ‘good’ in that regard despite whole zergs being able to immobilized for extensive amounts of time?

Yes...DAOC had crazy long CC, that also had logical countermeasures, so 90 seconds sorc mezz was

much less annoyance than much shorter CC without meaningful countermeasures in GW2, that makes

me feel like pinball ball sometimes

31 minutes ago, Nikola.3841 said:

Yes...DAOC had crazy long CC, that also had logical countermeasures, so 90 seconds sorc mezz was

much less annoyance than much shorter CC without meaningful countermeasures in GW2, that makes

me feel like pinball ball sometimes

So, every class having access to stun breaks?  Sure, on a one on one basis, there are multiple classes that do not have individual stab, but if you are rating a game as an MMO on 1 v 1, then I can’t stay in the discussion.   

10 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

So, every class having access to stun breaks?  Sure, on a one on one basis, there are multiple classes that do not have individual stab, but if you are rating a game as an MMO on 1 v 1, then I can’t stay in the discussion.   

Well, it seemed as OP made first post based mostly on 1vs1 situation, but in DAOC, you had your personal RA (purge) that would erase all CC (root, stun, and mezz).

Then you had classes (sorc, bard...) that could clear mezz. Also after removing any type of CC, you could not get affected by same type for double the duration of original CC (huge, really miss that in GW2, hence my previous pinball comparison)

Been hit by any damage, would break root and mezz (but not stun, which was also much shorter in duration) making target choosing and whole combat very tactical

All been said, that made much more interesting, almost chess-like, combat where you actually had to think and react fast

My favorite (from any MMO) was DAOC 8vs8 group fights, that sometimes lasted for minutes, too, with many turnarounds

Edited by Nikola.3841

1 hour ago, Nikola.3841 said:

Fights end in 5-6 seconds only if one of the two party's is alot less skilled or one has the surprise factor. 

Edit: Or numbers disadvantages but that should not count obviously. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Fights end in 5-6 seconds only if one of the two party's is alot less skilled or one has the surprise factor. 

Edit: Or numbers disadvantages but that should not count obviously. 

That was based  purely on 1vs1 basis...zerg vs zerg is actually endless AVOIDING of fights and circling around due to insane amount of visible precasted AOE

Edited by Nikola.3841
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nikola.3841 said:

That was based  purely on 1vs1 basis...zerg vs zerg is actually endless AVOIDING of fights and circling around due to insane amount of visible precasted AOE

And my comment was also based on 1vs1.

If you die in such a short time then you either got outplayed or caught off guard. 

Or your build is trash but that falls under skill. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

And my comment was also based on 1vs1.

If you die in such a short time then you either got outplayed or caught off guard. 

Or your build is trash but that falls under skill. 

My build is harbringer, but honestly I don't think I'm winning 1vs1s because of my skill

Just now, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

OK. You got me there. 

Harb is crazy op but still, if your opponent is aware of you, he will survive some time. 

But good luck winning 🙃

Actually I get killed by thieves and mesmers because stealth is just annoying in GW2 and I just give up and let them kill me...another area where I favored DAOC

5 hours ago, Nikola.3841 said:

Actually I get killed by thieves and mesmers because stealth is just annoying in GW2 and I just give up and let them kill me...another area where I favored DAOC

Man this is me too. How the servers are I get opened up on while they are still in stealth and I see them after about 2 or 3 hits in which my hp is already gone. Then the laggy desync ports make it worse when I try to fight back.

Not sure if it's my ping or what (60-100). 

18 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

The original post swings so fast from topic to topic it looks like a Trump speech and I have no idea what its trying to say. Alliances bad?

I think what he's trying to say is that WvW is now crap! I don't understand all the techy speak either, I don't need to, I play for the fun of it, or I did cos now it ain't noo fun any more. I was progressing through the ranks very nicely thank you, made it to a silver something but it looks like I won't be going any further with the way the game has changed for the worse. Well done Anet, you really messed this one up!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Aqorex.3018 said:

what does rank even have to do with it? rank =/= skill

Never will understand this.  In fact, a lot of times rank is inverse of skill--so higher ranks have less skill because they mindlessly zerg more.  

I fear platinums and diamonds way less than like gold.