Hey, Anet, its time we sat down and talked about "tradeoffs"

Lan Deathrider.5910

Whats the tradeoff differences between berserker spellbreaker and bladesworn?

What anet needs to ask:

Why take spellbreaker over bladesworn? what do i get over having one in my team?

MY question to warrior mains: Why did spellbreaker get nerfed? I asked someone who didn't know warr too much and i was directed to ask one of you guys supposedly spellbreaker was a master at stripping but supposedly its not as good as it used to be why?

Edited by Axl.8924

1 minute ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Which nerf?

The thing is, I main'd Warrior at launch and had a blast, when I came back to the game and saw E-specs were a thing, I was amazed at just how much worse Warriors was, So I'm not the best person to ask this, most likely need to ask Lan who posts in the Warrior forums quote a lot. Cause I know Spellbreaker for awhile was apparently much better, but got multiple nerfs to this point, and I see even now still gets nerfs. So it used to be a very good Boon stripping anti-magic counter class. Basically, would be entirely perfect for the current meta if it was actually good at doing those things. 

Which is most likely why they never will let it be actually good, cause their current plans is to make the game as boring as they can. 

This is from goerm i was asking what role does spellbreaker fits pve/PVP/WVW

2 minutes ago, Axl.8924 said:

The thing is, I main'd Warrior at launch and had a blast, when I came back to the game and saw E-specs were a thing, I was amazed at just how much worse Warriors was, So I'm not the best person to ask this, most likely need to ask Lan who posts in the Warrior forums quote a lot. Cause I know Spellbreaker for awhile was apparently much better, but got multiple nerfs to this point, and I see even now still gets nerfs. So it used to be a very good Boon stripping anti-magic counter class. Basically, would be entirely perfect for the current meta if it was actually good at doing those things. 

Which is most likely why they never will let it be actually good, cause their current plans is to make the game as boring as they can. 

This is from goerm i was asking what role does spellbreaker fits pve/PVP/WVW

Ah. So no specific nerf just *gestures at past few years of 'balance passes'*

Well, there is the FC damage nerf because people couldn't not kill themselves. Hint, do people also worry about Counterattack or Riposte killing them? (No) And then there was the hard CC nerf to it despite being a daze.
Mage Bane Tether might nerf.
The WoD nerf...

It's supposed to wreck boons, but does it really in the game modes where that really matters?

Break enchantments got its boon removal nerfed in WvW.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think the difference between Full Counter and similar skills was that Full Counter struck and CC'd an entire area. Becomes pretty hard to play against when all it took was one teammate failing to spot the tell in time (and FC was infamous for graphical glitches back in the day) or the SB finding one AoE to walk into and wham.

Current evidence shows it's definitely been overnerfed, though.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Ah. So no specific nerf just *gestures at past few years of 'balance passes'*

Well, there is the FC damage nerf because people couldn't not kill themselves. Hint, do people also worry about Counterattack or Riposte killing them? (No) And then there was the hard CC nerf to it despite being a daze.
Mage Bane Tether might nerf.
The WoD nerf...

It's supposed to wreck boons, but does it really in the game modes where that really matters?

Break enchantments got its boon removal nerfed in WvW.

I knew you'd be able to give a more detailed breakdown of the multiple "balance passes" the specs had.
Did Spellbreakers counter on F2 actually kill people before? Wish I played then, sounds like the E-spec was actually fun to play awhile ago. Right now it feels like it just tickles things. 

34 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

I knew you'd be able to give a more detailed breakdown of the multiple "balance passes" the specs had.
Did Spellbreakers counter on F2 actually kill people before? Wish I played then, sounds like the E-spec was actually fun to play awhile ago. Right now it feels like it just tickles things. 

Allegedly. I think it was a 2.0 modifier, so yeah I can see a bad thief instagibbing themselves on it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Allegedly. I think it was a 2.0 modifier, so yeah I can see a bad thief instagibbing themselves on it.

Kinda wish they'd kept the damage and removed the daze. Maybe reduce the multiplier against targets other than the enemy who triggered it. Possibly bring the daze back through a trait like bladesworn.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Kinda wish they'd kept the damage and removed the daze. Maybe reduce the multiplier against targets other than the enemy who triggered it. Possibly bring the daze back through a trait like bladesworn.

One thing that was suggested before was for Revenge Counter to add damage back in, that could also reduce/remove the daze for balance.

• Like 1

no amount of protection can match unblockable aoe daze spam, and it will still be a free fall.

also without No Escape, you barely lands any skill, which in turn require even more sustain in order to deal damage. having no no escape or nerfed down no escape will basically mean the death of current power spellbreaker in pvp.

unless the damage from full counter is able to make up for the damage lose from not having no escape, but then sustain is still free fall state.

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

no amount of protection can match unblockable aoe daze spam, and it will still be a free fall.

also without No Escape, you barely lands any skill, which in turn require even more sustain in order to deal damage. having no no escape or nerfed down no escape will basically mean the death of current power spellbreaker in pvp.

unless the damage from full counter is able to make up for the damage lose from not having no escape, but then sustain is still free fall state.

Perhaps, but there are 3 core traitline to choose from for more sustain, pick 1. 2 if you are good enough to run without Discipline.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

when Spellbreaker came out back in 2017 it was probably the most broken spec out of all the elite specs back at the time. You could easily achieve 100% resistance uptime without any boon duration and back then resistance blocked all condi dmg 100%. And fullcounter dealt 20-30% more damage than it deals now in pve and was on a 6 second cd with discipline traitline in wvw and pvp. With some obstacles to kite around you were basicly unkillable and fullcounter was an immense threat so you also had lots of killpressure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Perhaps, but there are 3 core traitline to choose from for more sustain, pick 1. 2 if you are good enough to run without Discipline.

spellbreaker without discpline in pvp you may as well stop pressing button, even healbreaker requires discipline to perform and i'm not talking about bot rating gameplay.

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Like I said, if you are good enough without Discipline.

no player is good enough unless they want to fight players two skill tier below themselves

not sure why you imply this tho, it's like saying "warrior if you are good enough, don't warrior because you aren't good enough", there's no point. you down play yourself by picking warrior just like you down play yourself by using spellbreaker without discpline in pvp compared to normal spellbreaker

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

On 5/27/2022 at 5:26 AM, Ferus.3165 said:

when Spellbreaker came out back in 2017 it was probably the most broken spec out of all the elite specs back at the time. You could easily achieve 100% resistance uptime without any boon duration and back then resistance blocked all condi dmg 100%. And fullcounter dealt 20-30% more damage than it deals now in pve and was on a 6 second cd with discipline traitline in wvw and pvp. With some obstacles to kite around you were basicly unkillable and fullcounter was an immense threat so you also had lots of killpressure.

For sPvP, scourge and firebrand were worse. When I "if you can't beat'em, join'em"'d Scourge during the season it released, I was suddenly soloing multiple enemy players while not knowing how half the build worked and basically facerolling. While support firebrand was basically an "if the enemy team had one and yours didn't, you might as well give up" build, to the point where playing any other guardian build was basically trolling your team by making that more likely. (Firebrand was then overnerfed because ArenaNet reached the point where most players were already starting to switch out of it and kept nerfing, because once something has a reputation for being OP, any loss to it is taken as evidence that it still is.)

A well-played Spellbreaker could be pretty obnoxious, and I kind of wish now that I'd taken more opportunity to play it in its heyday, but it was never as oppressive as those two.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1