Character, armor and weapons preview disappear when using non-native resolution [Merged]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem and this worked for me: In my Nvidia settings I made a custom resolution of 2560x1440 instead of 3840x2160 because my game runs like crap in 4k. Then in my game settings I set the resolution to 2560x1440 so that is now my (native) resolution and the problem was gone. I guess it has something to do with the scaling ingame.

As title says, using DX11 removes my ability to use equipment skin previews, they just wont show up when selected. So have to stay with Dx9 for now until this is fixed. My desktop res is 4k and in game I'm playing in 1440 res. 

Edited by Vavume.8065

I originally had this problem a few weeks ago whenever I play on my laptop. I got it working by using a previous posters suggestion of setting native res and enable sub-sampling which worked absolutely fine until today when a new patch came in. Now, no matter what res I use, it's back to being cut off.

Edited by srelysian.6031
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

not sure if its the case for me tho i do used custom options for resolution and playing on 4K UHD but recently yeah anything i preview wheter is in gemstore or in actual preview window, trading post and so on does not show at all, the windows does show but the preview and my character is just gone, even clicking reset doesnt rly do anything, not sure what happened but would be neat to have preview back lol .

Having the same issue.  Before the recent patch I just switched to Fullscreen Windowed to see character preview which was annoying enough, now that doesn't even work.  Only way is to turn OFF DPI scaling, but then the UI becomes so small it's unreadable even at the "larger" setting (no slider Arenanet? what years is this?).  Going to try reverting to DX9 (good lord) so I can actually see what the hell my character looks like in preview.  I won't be buying any outfits or other items until Anet fixes this.

Welp, back on this topic because today's update (return of the Tower of Nightmares patch) has further broken the previewing bug, in that I can't even use the workaround (set game res to match native res) to get past it.

Screen taken today...

My display is 3000 x 2000 but text and windows are scaled up 2x (effective resolution of 1500x1000). I refuse to turn this off just to play the game, lest I render everything on my screen tiny and unreadable.

Issue is now WORSE than before? My guess is that there was an attempt to fix character previews, but the factor of DPI scaling was ignored somehow.

Edited by equinshadox.5418
readability

Never had this issue until today's update. 

I am using the "Window"  resolution mode, though I too am playing on a 4K monitor with the window stretched almost to the complete size of my screen. 

I can also confirm from the responses above that toggling DPI Scaling off will fix the preview issue, but it makes my UI too small (which is why I don't use the 4K option on GW2 to begin with). 

From today's release notes, under General:

• DirectX 11: Fixed an issue that caused the Hero panel preview to render incorrectly when not using the default rendering resolution.

Unfortunately the issue was not fixed for everyone. For me it's worse as I now no longer have any workaround and will either have to live without previews/Hero or swap to DirectX 9.

Edit: Can confirm - for me, disabling DPI Scaling allows the Hero/preview to properly render, but this isn't an option for me since the UI is too small to read (even with Interface Size set to "Larger").

Edit 2: For now, I think my plan going forward is to toggle DPI Scaling if there's a skin I really want to see, otherwise I'll live without previews for now.

Edited by equinshadox.5418

I've got the same issue. I get some sort of preview, but its cropped or chopped off. Like in the Hero panel, the legs are totally missing below the knees.

I'm running Window Fullscreen, with a GTX 1070 Tim Windows 10 and Geforce drivers 516.94

Everything looked and worked just fine before this latest update.

Edit: Can also confirm, turning DPI scaling off corrects the previews, but makes everything else too small for my old eyes, so that's not an option.

Edited by Anthonev.6452

Can confirm same problem here where all previews do not show up since the most recent update.

Playing in 4k Windowed Fullscreen at 60 fps, vsync enabled. All settings are on and set to max with gamma at 1.00 and motion blur on low. Turning off DPI scaling fixed the issue and setting Interface Size to Larger allowed me to see the UI better, but it's still too small for me to read easily. 

Also having this exact problem - Preview window only works if I drag the window to the top left corner & it only shows the top half of my characters as others have posted. Also tried the repair command, which doesn't fix.

Definitely a DPI scaling issue as once I uncheck it, equipment preview window works like it normally does, but UI is way too small for me at 4k Windowed Fullscreen.

• Thanks 1