Is the engineer supposed to be that strong in pvp?

On 8/4/2022 at 6:55 AM, Kuma.1503 said:

It's nice that ANet finally gave Engi a 2nd DPS traitline worth taking. We were forced into Alchemy for ages because firearms wasn't worth taking and tools is... tools.

After some tweaks, we have engis running Firearms/Explosives and they're pumping damage that people aren't used to seeing from them. 

They're also a lot squishier than people are used to. No Elixir E, no protection injection, no transmute conditions, no HGH with Elixir S or Elixir H. 

Hi, I think I'm playing a similar build as the one you've described but not at all very good at Engie. It's a dps build and I can crank out 250-300K+ in dmg but it's susceptible to conditions. I don't know how you handle condis. I've read others doing way higher in dmg output. 

4 hours ago, Pimsley.3681 said:

Hi, I think I'm playing a similar build as the one you've described but not at all very good at Engie. It's a dps build and I can crank out 250-300K+ in dmg but it's susceptible to conditions. I don't know how you handle condis. I've read others doing way higher in dmg output. 

How you handle condis depends on which flavor of engineer you're playing. 

You can swap your heal skill for heal turret or med kit. 

Heal turret will cleanse 2 condis off of you on initial placement. 

Med Kit's 3 skill puts down a small water field that will instantly remove 1 condi from you, and an additional 3 condis over 3 seconds. 

Elixir Gun 5 removes 1 condi, and you can blast it with Egun 4 for an additional cleanse. This is slow to pull off so it's difficult to do in the heat of combat, but if you're kiting with condis on you, you can throw this combo in there. Just about face so you fling yourself away from danger instead of towards it.

You can also leap the field with rifle 5 for light aura. This gives you resolution on hit and -10% incoming condi damage.

You can easily fit Heal Turret and/or Elixir Gun onto most power builds. Elixir gun gives you a small bit of extra mobility, and  Elixir Gun 4 does deceptively good damage while being unblockable. Glob Shot's ranged cripple can also be useful for chasing targets. 

Cleansing/Escape Sigil is a personal choice of mine on most builds. Escape sigil will remove annoying cover condis like chill and cripple, and gives you a way to deal with immob spam. Cleansing sigil gives you that extra bit of cleanse during a fight, and is easy to proc on engineer thanks to no CD kit swapping. You don't have to commit to a new weapon for 9 seconds in order to proc it. 

Elixir S doesn't cleanse, but it's 3 seconds of total immunity that you can use to wait the condis out. 

On Holosmith specifically, you want to keep your heat between 50-150. The Orange and Red levels. That will keep your might stacks higher, and give you more cleanses over time from Prismatic Converter. 

On Scrapper, you an run purge gyro to deal with condis, but I will usually only do this if the enemy team has a heavy condi focus. 

On Mech, Crisis Zone and Shift Signet are your friends. Even with those two tools, mech is generally weak to condi, so you'll want to avoid certain matchups. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Med Kit's 3 skill puts down a small water field that will instantly remove 1 condi from you, and an additional 3 condis over 3 seconds. 

Elixir Gun 5 removes 1 condi, and you can blast it with Egun 4 for an additional cleanse. This is slow to pull off so it's difficult to do in the heat of combat, but if you're kiting with condis on you, you can throw this combo in there. Just about face so you fling yourself away from danger instead of towards it.

You can also leap the field with rifle 5 for light aura. This gives you resolution on hit and -10% incoming condi damage.

You can easily fit Heal Turret and/or Elixir Gun onto most power builds. Elixir gun gives you a small bit of extra mobility, and  Elixir Gun 4 does deceptively good damage while being unblockable. Glob Shot's ranged cripple can also be useful for chasing targets. 

Cleansing/Escape Sigil is a personal choice of mine on most builds. Escape sigil will remove annoying cover condis like chill and cripple, and gives you a way to deal with immob spam. Cleansing sigil gives you that extra bit of cleanse during a fight, and is easy to proc on engineer thanks to no CD kit swapping. You don't have to commit to a new weapon for 9 seconds in order to proc it. 

Elixir S doesn't cleanse, but it's 3 seconds of total immunity that you can use to wait the condis out. 

On Holosmith specifically, you want to keep your heat between 50-150. The Orange and Red levels. That will keep your might stacks higher, and give you more cleanses over time from Prismatic Converter. 

On Scrapper, you an run purge gyro to deal with condis, but I will usually only do this if the enemy team has a heavy condi focus. 

On Mech, Crisis Zone and Shift Signet are your friends. Even with those two tools, mech is generally weak to condi, so you'll want to avoid certain matchups. 

I'm humbled by your knowledge of this class. Was playing scrapper without alchemy (risky eh) and chose firearms with melee crits and explosives. Nowhere near the level of some of the scrappers that could outdamage and outkill meta builds but thanks so much for your advice. I fall rather quick against condis. Also, not so keen with the patch update that messed up bindings. Not just ADQE but everything. Already had AD for strafing as default as I don't like to turn with KB but when I played today, certain characters would just pop up stuff like the game menu, steam, screenshot folder...just messy. Plus the sensitivity of the mouse and targeting were affected. Couldn't play properly. Scrapper and holo are fun. Before patch, I could 1v1 a BSW with this build but the bindings messed stuff up and now I must re-adjust again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noneHotBuildTest.7251 said:

Y'all think this is OP?

nope. Your damage is so garbage, that i thought you are playing CondiFlamethrower at first xD

I have a few questions...

a) Who plays FT in 2022?  b) what elo is this? cuz this looks like Silver,ngl.... please for a second look at 3:40 JUST LOOK AT THE ENEMY GUARDIAN FOR A SECOND!!! WHAT IS HE DOING!? There is Support willbender, core engies,.... and then there is you... playing Flamethrower Mechanist....   c) are you aware that the herald is actually the one carrying most of those fights? Almost every encounter, is your team outnumbering the enemy, then you rush in to do 1 single cc followed by some p00py 800 damage, than the herald steps in and oneshots them... d) are you aware that this game is a frking Landslide... Your enemys keep on running in your whole team and melting... 14-0 is pretty average, if not low for a game that is this onesided! i just yesterday had a game that ended with 27-0.... Which is still nothing to brag about considering it was a landslide, just like your game.

e) this is the last and the most important question.... Is this thread about engineer being too strong? If we take this footage as the foundation of your "is engineer supposed to be that strong" claim.... than we can close this topic.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

nope. Your damage is so garbage, that i thought you are playing CondiFlamethrower at first xD

I have a few questions...

a) Who plays FT in 2022?  b) what elo is this? cuz this looks like Silver,ngl.... please for a second look at 3:40 JUST LOOK AT THE ENEMY GUARDIAN FOR A SECOND!!! WHAT IS HE DOING!? There is Support willbender, core engies,.... and then there is you... playing Flamethrower Mechanist....   c) are you aware that the herald is actually the one carrying most of those fights? Almost every encounter, is your team outnumbering the enemy, then you rush in to do 1 single cc followed by some p00py 800 damage, than the herald steps in and oneshots them... d) are you aware that this game is a frking Landslide... Your enemys keep on running in your whole team and melting... 14-0 is pretty average, if not low for a game that is this onesided! i just yesterday had a game that ended with 27-0.... Which is still nothing to brag about considering it was a landslide, just like your game.

e) this is the last and the most important question.... Is this thread about engineer being too strong? If we take this footage as the foundation of your "is engineer supposed to be that strong" claim.... than we can close this topic.

You are right, I not the best player, but top player proof that engineer is the easiest op build for pvp.

Spudzie :

Engal

I feel like a fool to play like elementalist which anet's developer keep bullying it on balance patch,  the balance team only play engineer bubby, engi always win in balance patch.

I will keep track until they nerf engi and buff elementalist on pvp .

7 minutes ago, noneHotBuildTest.7251 said:

You are right, I not the best player, but top player proof that engineer is the easiest op build for pvp.

Spudzie :

Engal

I feel like a fool to play like elementalist which anet's developer keep bullying it on balance patch,  the balance team only play engineer bubby, engi always win in balance patch.

I will keep track until they nerf engi and buff elementalist on pvp .

Bruh.... the thing here is.... you are starting a thread about "engie being too strong".... and then you show footage of a kitten Flamethrower mechanist build and rant about mechanist, when in reality the build you should be speaking and the build that those people are using is Riflescrapper... diffrent spec.... diffrent weapon.....  u see how that is confusing?

This spec is 100%projectilebased and lacks cleanse.... you should think REAAAAALLLY hard and come up with a solution...  

Personally i am not struggling against this at all....   i will give you some hints.... Weakness......😉 Projectilehate.....😉 Condis......😉

This build may appear completly ridicilous in Silver... but if you are dipping into plat, this build is so easily shutdown, that you are better off running something diffrent.

and the comment about anet bullying ele......  You are living in the past bud 😄 2 out of the 6 builds that i consider meta: Condispecter, Garbinger, Auramancer,Hammercatalys,Bladesworn,Herald.... ARE ELEMENTALIST!

Ele is the spec, atleast in pvp, that has received the most buffs in the last 3 months.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Haha 1

Not sure if these are troll posts. OP created threads in a few subs I frequent. According to Jeff Jeff Jeff jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff, engies sux atm. I think he's got a point there. But if you're doing well in ranked, just continue. For condi cleansing, best thing is to go Alchemy and carry elixir gun. Also have the whirling gyro spin on mortar 4 for extra cleansing. 

No engie not in a good spot in PvP. I don't play mechanist in pve and pvp. lol but just coz they annoyingly excel in pve doesnt mean they're good in pvp

On 8/8/2022 at 10:00 PM, Kuma.1503 said:

Solid stuff you shared there. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Play any engi/mech gun build........than give warrior rifle a go and compare.

A fascinating truth of anets balancing capabilities. Oh oh another ban pending lol.

Engineer is completely broken.

The rifle still does a lot of damage.

As a power build, Engineer was hitting a single target for ~1300 damage per second (non-crit) constantly.

That means even a nerfed mech is still doing almost twice the damage of warriors  auto.

Why warriors get no love! 

Engineer has continued to be a dominant force in PvP, Please consider nerf it ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...