give mesmer easy access to swiftness.

Eddie.9143

I think Focus could use a rework to be a more useful weapon. 

I don't play much mesmer, have had my fair share of playing it as a tank in wvw, solo power burst roamer too. 

I think the focus pull might be better if reworked into a skill that still grants AoE swiftness and can reflect projectiles if traited, but be far more usable. 

Then again, people pick it for it's pull so idk. 

Unless if they got a swiftness on shatter type of thing in Chaos or Illussions. The easy fix ig. 

Might be that they believe Manipulations traited are enough of a buff to core speed access. 

10 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Then again, people pick it for it's pull so idk. 

Exactly. Don't touch the pull! 😋

Personally, I would love for the reflect to be baseline. Untraited Focus is just way too outdated. However, this would require reworking the trait into something else. Regarding Swiftness, ANet could really just increase the initial application a little bit or/and add Swiftness to Into the Void. This will be enough when it comes to mobility. It doesn't have to be 100% uptime without Boon application, imho.

On 7/2/2022 at 1:37 PM, Xaylin.1860 said:

Exactly. Don't touch the pull! 😋

Personally, I would love for the reflect to be baseline. Untraited Focus is just way too outdated. However, this would require reworking the trait into something else. Regarding Swiftness, ANet could really just increase the initial application a little bit or/and add Swiftness to Into the Void. This will be enough when it comes to mobility. It doesn't have to be 100% uptime without Boon application, imho.

To me, all focus needs is a rework of the phantasm. I would make it a ground targeted aoe (you summon it where you target) that does aoe damage and blocks projectiles. Would be far more reliable and fun to use than what we currently have. And it would feel more different from pistol, and interact better with the focus pull (and sword 3).

Edited by agrippastrilemma.8741

^ Signet of inspiration auto procs swiftness 5sec base duration every 10s.

Chronomancer has base 25% movement speed.

Chaos armor and Chaos storm from Staff gives swiftness.

On 7/2/2022 at 7:20 AM, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

I think Focus could use a rework to be a more useful weapon. 

I don't play much mesmer, have had my fair share of playing it as a tank in wvw, solo power burst roamer too. 

I think the focus pull might be better if reworked into a skill that still grants AoE swiftness and can reflect projectiles if traited, but be far more usable. 

It doesn't need to be reworked, it already grants aoe swiftness at base 12s duration, just run over the line.

The trait gives it reflect and reduced cooldown.

I wouldn't even ask for a rework, they might just decide to give the focus two traits instead, one for swiftness, and one for reflect, like the stupidity they did with staff and shield and wells.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Voyant.1327 said:

Signet of Inspiration
Signet
Passive:
Grant swiftness and an additional random boon every ten seconds.

That in conjunction with focus, fairly easy to keep Swiftness on permanently.

Extremely bad for pvp. Which happens to be where swiftness matters most.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Voyant.1327 said:

Aye, any chaos mesmer w/ focus can have quickness/superspeed/swiftness as well. Pretty much not an area we struggle in is speed. 

For pvp we absolutely do, probably worst out of any class in the game. Actually definitely the worst now that I think about it, I don't think any other class runs Lynx right now.

Something like "gain increased movement speed while wielding a sword, 25%" added to Fencers Finessse could be good, that trait sucks in PvP generally anyway.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

Something like "gain increased movement speed while wielding a sword, 25%" added to Fencers Finessse could be good, that trait sucks in PvP generally anyway.

It should not be tied to the sword. I already hate being forced to use the sword in many power builds. This would put it over the top....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Smart College Boy.3249 said:

It should not be tied to the sword. I already hate being forced to use the sword in many power builds. This would put it over the top....

It's not my first option either to be honest, just one option. Previously I've suggested to replace desperate decoy (passive stealth proc) or to replace escape artist.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

It's not my first option either to be honest, just one option. Previously I've suggested to replace desperate decoy (passive stealth proc) or to replace escape artist.

They should put it in inspiration with all the other supporting boons.

2 hours ago, semak.7481 said:

In competitive mode mesmer cant NOT run lynx cuz focus is garbage there and your suggestions to use chaos armor and CS are the worst possible advices you could came up to excuse lack of swiftness 🤦‍♂️

We didn't catch the lynx rune being an spvp thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 5:45 AM, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

Extremely bad for pvp. Which happens to be where swiftness matters most.

Lol, so a random boon and swiftness that can be given to your entire party every 10 seconds is bad? Full signets is excellent in PvP to begin with as they're defensives when utilized as such. This being on short cooldown means you're able to use it in midcombat as a defensive and by the time you've killed someone its off cooldown for you to run to the next cap. 

Imo a lot of people don't understand how utterly tanky mesmer with things like this. It also is extremely fortunate the boons you get. Not to mention by hitting your defensive that also is a speed/boon generator you can now double the lengths of all boons on you.

Or you could do 180 more condition damage or use the pointless blade/clone generation one (if you're having an issue generating clones or blades in PvP when you're in direct fire that often should be the biggest focal point.)

It has an excessive amount of upside. 

Edited by Voyant.1327
  • Confused 1

On 7/4/2022 at 5:47 AM, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

For pvp we absolutely do, probably worst out of any class in the game. 

Completely disagree with this. Swiftness constant in addition to Superspeed from Manipulations on things like Arcane Thievery with a 20 sec cool down w/ trait. You're flying when needed. Its all how you build it.

• Confused 4

4 hours ago, Voyant.1327 said:

Lol, so a random boon and swiftness that can be given to your entire party every 10 seconds is bad? Full signets is excellent in PvP to begin with as they're defensives when utilized as such. This being on short cooldown means you're able to use it in midcombat as a defensive and by the time you've killed someone its off cooldown for you to run to the next cap. 

Imo a lot of people don't understand how utterly tanky mesmer with things like this. It also is extremely fortunate the boons you get. Not to mention by hitting your defensive that also is a speed/boon generator you can now double the lengths of all boons on you.

Or you could do 180 more condition damage or use the pointless blade/clone generation one (if you're having an issue generating clones or blades in PvP when you're in direct fire that often should be the biggest focal point.)

It has an excessive amount of upside. 

You quite simply do not know what you're talking about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They're probably referring to the fact Core Mesmer has no viable access to Swiftness outside of three options.

Prismatic Understanding with RNG Swiftness, Signet of Inspiration being a 50% uptime, Focus offhand giving Swiftness for almost consistent uptime, and (Lesser) Chaos Storm giving RNG Swiftness.

They're probably saying PvP Mesmer lacks reliable Swiftness options. If you take Focus on Mesmer you're missing out on a better option for niche Swiftness. Focus 4 is horrible to quickly react with and doesn't functionally work in the Ranked gamemode where you need to be able to quickly interrupt something as you could with Pistol 5 or even Sword 4 -> 4. (This isn't to say it isn't impossible, it's totally doable but Pistol 5 is much better to work with and Pistol's kit is typically better for most of Mesmer due to Stunned being easy to setup into rather than Pull.)

Prismatic Understanding is probably the best option as it resides in Chaos where the other options are becoming less and less useful with each wheezy breath.

Then there's Signet of Inspiration, where its occupying a space where you need Signet of Midnight, Blink, Mantra of Distraction, Signet of Illusions, or even Mirror Images. Those utilities listed are the more useful options and the most typical options. I suppose the exception is with Inspiration/Chaos/Illusions core Mesmer where it uses 4-5 signets with Blurred Inscriptions... You're better off going Rune of the Lynx for mobility right now due to the fact all our Swiftness sources are massive damage sacrifices or sacrifice going a better Elite Specialization.... Chronomancer is dead on anyone's screen unfortunately in PvP.

Not sure how to give Mesmer as a whole a good Swiftness source.... Mirage I can see Swiftness get put on Mirage's Cloak as the grandmaster minor or something. (But keep the base +50% while under the effects of it.) It would free up options for Mirage.

As for Core? ... Frankly hard to sell. I think of Core Guardian when it comes to mobility, they have to drop a utility to use 'Advance!' to free up their rune slot. Maybe they could bump the Swiftness duration up in PvP specifically on Signet of Inspiration to 10s or something since we have to occupy our sweet sweet utility slots for it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 6:56 PM, Vinny.7260 said:

They're probably referring to the fact Core Mesmer has no viable access to Swiftness outside of three options.

Prismatic Understanding with RNG Swiftness, Signet of Inspiration being a 50% uptime, Focus offhand giving Swiftness for almost consistent uptime, and (Lesser) Chaos Storm giving RNG Swiftness.

They're probably saying PvP Mesmer lacks reliable Swiftness options. If you take Focus on Mesmer you're missing out on a better option for niche Swiftness. Focus 4 is horrible to quickly react with and doesn't functionally work in the Ranked gamemode where you need to be able to quickly interrupt something as you could with Pistol 5 or even Sword 4 -> 4. (This isn't to say it isn't impossible, it's totally doable but Pistol 5 is much better to work with and Pistol's kit is typically better for most of Mesmer due to Stunned being easy to setup into rather than Pull.)

Prismatic Understanding is probably the best option as it resides in Chaos where the other options are becoming less and less useful with each wheezy breath.

Then there's Signet of Inspiration, where its occupying a space where you need Signet of Midnight, Blink, Mantra of Distraction, Signet of Illusions, or even Mirror Images. Those utilities listed are the more useful options and the most typical options. I suppose the exception is with Inspiration/Chaos/Illusions core Mesmer where it uses 4-5 signets with Blurred Inscriptions... You're better off going Rune of the Lynx for mobility right now due to the fact all our Swiftness sources are massive damage sacrifices or sacrifice going a better Elite Specialization.... Chronomancer is dead on anyone's screen unfortunately in PvP.

Not sure how to give Mesmer as a whole a good Swiftness source.... Mirage I can see Swiftness get put on Mirage's Cloak as the grandmaster minor or something. (But keep the base +50% while under the effects of it.) It would free up options for Mirage.

As for Core? ... Frankly hard to sell. I think of Core Guardian when it comes to mobility, they have to drop a utility to use 'Advance!' to free up their rune slot. Maybe they could bump the Swiftness duration up in PvP specifically on Signet of Inspiration to 10s or something since we have to occupy our sweet sweet utility slots for it.

25% movment speed on signet of midnight instead of condi, 25% speed while wieldling sword fron sword trait, swiftness on shatter from new trait replacing desperste decoy or escape artist, 3s superspeed on manipulations (up from 1.5) from master of manipulations and trait moved to dueling adept replacing desperate decoy, personal swiftness from temporal curtain without having to cross it. There are many options.

• Thanks 2