Does Anet just want to kill off Power Reaper PVE?

Static.4258

Honest question.

When they nerfed our survivability for the unteenth time a few months back by reducing our damage reduction to 33% in shroud everyone was like "Wait for the balance patch, anet will make up for it" And here we are... Nerfed again. This time damage with the massive death perception nerf. That was the 28th.

So, june 30th rolls around. A bunch of classes catch a buff and power reaper still gets the shaft. 

It's almost to the point of why bother anymore. And if these boards are a reflection of the reaper community we're doomed. They haven't listened to us for forever. 

We need more damage Anet... Not less. It's simple. Really. Reaper needs some help in end game PVE. Toss us a bone.

• Like 17

I hope the whole necromancer profession with especs will receive a deep redesign at some point (except harbinger, but not sure about that). 

The whole condition management through transfers feels a little bit clunky in PVE, not to mention changes in skills and traits that feels.... Disconnected from each other. 

• Like 2

Hopefully. Reaper has solid base dps in solo game but on the other hand not complex enough to increase dmg by mastering attacking 😁 Otherthing is, every other build has supportive skills (teleport of downies, quick-hb) but the reaper is lacking of good support (no quick, no alac) which is not welcomed in endgame. Unfortunately this is my solo char by now at that level. I hate to be said I should play condi scourge. I want to play it whenever I want, not others.

• Like 5

To maintain 100% crit chance: Soul Eater => Decimate Defenses = - 10% dps

Rework of Death Perception: + 5% crit damage in shroud (yes, in zerk gear 15% more crit damage is better than 300 ferocity!)

Overall dps loss: - 7%

Yeah, ANet totally killed Power Reaper. Unplayable now!

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4

9 hours ago, Lily.1935 said:

Power reaper is fine. its 32k from what I've seen which is honestly better than most players can achieve. You can easily get to 25k with a simple rotation using nothing but GS and shroud. Reaper is far from dead.

reaper dps is fine in open world, the problem is high end content. reaper dps falls flat unless you're really good. even then, you're not beating a really good x class especially if they're condi. chances are they already bench far more dps than your 32k, and you don't even offer buffs, quickness, or alacrity. have a look at other classes and what they can do + their dps. the fact that you're completely forgetting this aspect is problematic. reaper is playable, it's definitely not unplayable, but compared to other classes especially in terms of dps this class should be doing way more especially towards single targets. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Yuka.6182 said:

reaper dps is fine in open world, the problem is high end content. reaper dps falls flat unless you're really good. even then, you're not beating a really good x class especially if they're condi. chances are they already bench far more dps than your 32k, and you don't even offer buffs, quickness, or alacrity. have a look at other classes and what they can do + their dps. the fact that you're completely forgetting this aspect is problematic. reaper is playable, it's definitely not unplayable, but compared to other classes especially in terms of dps this class should be doing way more especially towards single targets. 

31-34k is the average for power builds, currently. Anything higher than that is the exception. Power builds shouldn't have higher DPS than Condi. But they should absolutely blow condi out of the water when it comes to burst. Which currently they don't because the difference is a bit too high at the moment. But that's not an issue with reaper itself.

I do agree reaper needs some work, but its not nearly as dire as y'all are saying. The spec isn't dead. Far from it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

39 minutes ago, Lily.1935 said:

31-34k is the average for power builds, currently. Anything higher than that is the exception. Power builds shouldn't have higher DPS than Condi. But they should absolutely blow condi out of the water when it comes to burst. Which currently they don't because the difference is a bit too high at the moment. But that's not an issue with reaper itself.

I do agree reaper needs some work, but its not nearly as dire as y'all are saying. The spec isn't dead. Far from it.

on the average of 31-34k? that's insanity lol, are you averaging in the power boon support classes lol? i'd like you to name full dps spec builds in this equation. as far as i am currently aware if you're looking at many of the other power dps classes they bench past 34k to the 40k range. like quickscrapper and bs are offering team support on top of their dps. reaper provides nothing in a meta, no barrier, no boons - that revolves around classes bringing boons in their role compressed builds. not even, regen or prot lol. the most they have is a boon corrupt in raids that barely gives any boons to corrupt lol, even then just play scourge. there's a reason why it's highly uncommon for a reaper to be top dps in any raids ever, even in stuff like KC. luckily though the scene is not so as toxic as to throw away reapers (it's not in the shitter yet but it may as well be), because many other classes can offer far more dps + boon generation even when it comes to might, fury, prot, regen, vigor share. 

the only reason this spec isn't dead is because of the fans of the reaper archetype enjoyers.  i can't imagine anyone playing reaper specifically for high end content (because alot of it is single target dps based), it makes sense in open world and more mid tier content though where reapers are good at grinding up trashy forgettable mobs. 

Edited by Yuka.6182
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Yuka.6182 said:

on the average of 31-34k? that's insanity lol, are you averaging in the power boon support classes lol? i'd like you to name full dps spec builds in this equation. as far as i am currently aware if you're looking at many of the other power dps classes they bench past 34k to the 40k range. like quickscrapper and bs are offering team support on top of their dps. reaper provides nothing in a meta, no barrier, no boons - that revolves around classes bringing boons in their role compressed builds. not even, regen or prot lol. the most they have is a boon corrupt in raids that barely gives any boons to corrupt lol, even then just play scourge. there's a reason why it's highly uncommon for a reaper to be top dps in any raids ever, even in stuff like KC. luckily though the scene is not so as toxic as to throw away reapers (it's not in the shitter yet but it may as well be), because many other classes can offer far more dps + boon generation even when it comes to might, fury, prot, regen, vigor share. 

the only reason this spec isn't dead is because of the fans of the reaper archetype enjoyers.  i can't imagine anyone playing reaper specifically for high end content (because alot of it is single target dps based), it makes sense in open world and more mid tier content though where reapers are good at grinding up trashy forgettable mobs. 

playing reaper on souless horror and watching everyone ellipse you like mario kart is always a sight to behold!

• Haha 2

On 7/2/2022 at 10:59 AM, Static.4258 said:

Honest question.

When they nerfed our survivability for the unteenth time a few months back by reducing our damage reduction to 33% in shroud everyone was like "Wait for the balance patch, anet will make up for it" And here we are... Nerfed again. This time damage with the massive death perception nerf. That was the 28th.

So, june 30th rolls around. A bunch of classes catch a buff and power reaper still gets the shaft. 

It's almost to the point of why bother anymore. And if these boards are a reflection of the reaper community we're doomed. They haven't listened to us for forever. 

We need more damage Anet... Not less. It's simple. Really. Reaper needs some help in end game PVE. Toss us a bone.

they buffed pvp reaper, maybe this is a good sign that they know. could just be they don't know what to buff yet for the pve side

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I was experimenting with going the alternate rune builds to maintain 100% crit and was losing damage. I tried the Rune of the Eagle variant but lost too much power and ferocity. I didn't even bother trying Rune of the Thief because it's basically doing the same thing (removing power and ferocity to give crit chance). I'm just rocking the same Rune of the Scholar and just living with not critting every time. I feel like changing gear to Assassins would be doing the same thing as the rune variants.

With training golem set the same as before (without class boons that were removed) and without blood pet (because I don't think it's too practical) food+sharpening stone, I could get 27k. My rotation wasn't perfect but pretty good. I think a pro would struggle to take that to 30k. 

I guess all the class benchmarks have dropped, though. I wonder where Reaper actually sits in the food chain right now.

Seems like there's currently 3 variants:

1. Use decimate defenses

2. Use accuracy sigil and some assassin's gear

3. Use thief rune

We'll see what will be the best build but they will all be really close imo.

Edited by Nimon.7840

On 7/2/2022 at 5:21 PM, Rhingeim.3974 said:

I hope the whole necromancer profession with especs will receive a deep redesign at some point (except harbinger, but not sure about that). 

The whole condition management through transfers feels a little bit clunky in PVE, not to mention changes in skills and traits that feels.... Disconnected from each other. 

Blood is Power+F5/dagger4 is one of the best tools necro has at this point, i hope they wont touch this.

The problems for me here are some, all around reaper espec

1/Being an ok dps class but without any kind of utility for group content, that translates into a dead class.

2/To run a solo build with those changes you have to rely on fury or using some assassins gear *100%crit. The first translates into having to use something like runes of the pack+Dread trait+Warhorn so less dps, and the second is just the same using some assassin pieces you lose damage.

Edited by Ruisenior.6342

19 hours ago, Ruisenior.6342 said:

Blood is Power+F5/dagger4 is one of the best tools necro has at this point, i hope they wont touch this.

The problems for me here are some, all around reaper espec

1/Being an ok dps class but without any kind of utility for group content, that translates into a dead class.

2/To run a solo build with those changes you have to rely on fury or using some assassins gear *100%crit. The first translates into having to use something like runes of the pack+Dread trait+Warhorn so less dps, and the second is just the same using some assassin pieces you lose damage.

Agree. 

No group utility makes reaper even more berserk-style than warrior. 

Also, from my experience condi transfer becomes obsolete with amount of condi cleansing. I often get condition cleaned from myself before I manage to send them. Since it's a part of condi necro damage ramp up, I guess it will be revisited at some time. 

Edited by Rhingeim.3974
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Nimon.7840 said:

I would really doubt that 29k is the end. I managed to hit 29k with a very bad rotation, so there should be some room to improve 

I'm all for someone grinding out a 30k+ bench, the video I posted was definitely not with a "bad rotation" though.

10 hours ago, Sudno.6209 said:

I'm all for someone grinding out a 30k+ bench, the video I posted was definitely not with a "bad rotation" though.

Based on your video, you're spending a bit to much time in shroud. You do almost a full AA chain without soul barb. Which basicaly mean that during 10% of your rotation you play at 90% of your full efficiency. (You might think it's nothing but that's 5% raw dps lost or 1.5k for a near 30k dps rotation)

Also, I'm pretty sure that signet of vampirism offer a slightly higher dps than blood fiend at melee range.

Edit: How can someone be confused by what I say here? I'am just stating hard facts. The video rotation is unrefined and can be polished to gain at least 1.5k dps.

Edited by Dadnir.5038
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1