A new GW2 players observations of the game

2 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

Often a fresh new perspective can help make a game that much better. We can be so used to a system and  playing a certain way that a better alternative won't occur to us until a new voice question it.

However, sometimes, a lack of information is the main reason for those questions. As it seems to appear here. The OP is entitled to his opinions and questions but instead of discussing and listening to the comments, he is antagonistic to anyone who doesn't agree with him. Or simply ignoring comments that he can't readily argue against.

A few observations:

• Number of years playing MMOs means almost absolutely nothing. It may make starting and navigating a new game easier but that's the full extent of it. Not everyone has the same talents, abilities or dedications. A fresh new player may be lots better than someone who has been playing for years. Someone who is totally immersed in the game for just one year will probably know the game better than a casual player of 10 years.
  • Regardless of how much of a veteran in MMOs the OP think he is, there are many who has played even longer than he has. Including those who are not a stranger to game designs.
  • If my car breaks, who am I going to listen to... the guy with 40 yrs experience fixing cars, or, the guy who picked up a wrench a year ago?  - If the guy has not progressed from simple car fixes after 40 years compared to a first year guy who is now his superior because of abilities, I'd listen to the 1st year guy. For example, I'd listen to someone who has only played the game for a couple of years for WvW advice if the player has lots of experience there, as opposed to listening to someone who has played for 10 years but has hardly step foot there.
  • Different game. different system. Until you learn the new game, a player regardless of how much gaming he has done before, is just as lost as anyone else.
  • The OP has a level 74 character. Which means he has barely scratch the surface of the game but already stated there are just bad design choices without actually having really tried them. What works for one game that OP has played before may not work for GW2. Just because they are different from previous experiences do not make them necessarily bad. That is not to say there are no flaws. But truly experience them first before passing judgements.

Posting on forum is less forgiving than chatting with players ingame. All your posts here are subjected to scrutiny and rebuttals. Ingame, most opinions are more casual and players simply do not have time to indulge you for long. We all have our mobs to kill and gold to farm. Chats are often ignored because we're too busy or has already scrolled up. That's why it'll seem more friendly.

Good read.  Thanks for that.  I just wanted to ask... 

Who else was an MMO veteran of many years before they played GW2?  And how many of you were new to GW2 the first time you set foot into HoT?  Now raise your hand if you got your kitten handed to you that day! 🙋‍♂️I know I did! 

I was even a little salty about it, if I'm being honest.  I asked my guild and they told me what was up.  I had a hard time believing it wasn't some monster gear disparity issue.  How can I be dying to trash mobs?  I used to lead raid guilds in WoW before GW2 was even a thing, dammit!  Impossible!  Something's wrong with this game, for real...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Yeah, imagine not being able to go toxic on anyone who disagrees with your complete lack of any information on the subject without getting ridiculed for it?  What is the world coming to?  On the bright side, it looks like Dante found a like mind...

Yes someone who doesn't think stars shoot out of anets posteriors.

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

Yes someone who doesn't think stars shoot out of anets posteriors.

I wonder. Does anyone in these forums really think that? Ppl don’t react to criticism of the game. They react to attitudes and toxic replies rooted in arrogance and a sense of higher being. 

gw2 is not perfect. No game is perfect. To be able to enjoy the game, you need to understand it will be parts of the game you won’t like and accept it. Other players might like the parts you don’t, and other parts may be annoying bugs and glitches. Or bad balancing or whatever. If you’re able to see past that and enjoy the game for what it is, the game will be so much more fun. It doesn’t mean it’s not room for improvement. Or constructive criticism shouldn’t be given. By all means do criticize the game and tell your opinions. Just do it in a proper manner

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Yeah, imagine not being able to go toxic on anyone who disagrees with your complete lack of any information on the subject without getting ridiculed for it?  What is the world coming to?  On the bright side, it looks like Dante found a like mind...

OP has been getting ridiculed since they posted this thread and dismissed because they tried to cite their experience with other games in sharing their perspective. Please consider how this looks from the other end. It's not a great look, people dogpiling someone who is new to the community.

Also, one of their initial criticisms was balancing, which is something most people on the forums have been railing against since the last balance patch. You'd think there'd be more common ground to find with them than what I've seen in here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

OP has been getting ridiculed since they posted this thread and dismissed because they tried to cite their experience with other games in sharing their perspective. Please consider how this looks from the other end. It's not a great look, people dogpiling someone who is new to the community.

Also, one of their initial criticisms was balancing, which is something most people on the forums have been railing against since the last balance patch. You'd think there'd be more common ground to find with them than what I've seen in here.

No, the OP is being ridiculed because he responds to good faith attempts to correct his misconceptions about the game with this:

So no. Don't tell me "you're new and don't understand", because I FULLY understand. I've seen it over 40 yrs of gaming. Time and time again. In game after game. It's NOT new to me.

So.. yeah.. kitten off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

No, the OP is being ridiculed because he responds to good faith attempts to correct his misconceptions about the game with this:

You mean good faith like:

On 7/8/2022 at 1:24 PM, Warkind.6745 said:

After ten years of playing this game I can't believe I've never tilted anyone as much as the rock elemental that killed this dude.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:08 PM, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

Conclusion: Play another game if you don't enjoy this game for what it is. Many of us enjoy this game and don't want to see it devolve into "Just another WoW clone". For many of us, we left those games for this for a good reason.

On 7/7/2022 at 8:33 PM, Serephen.3420 said:

4) Serious question,  are you new to mmos?

Yeah I know, you mean your comment specifically, but that's some of the attitudes they've had as replies throughout the thread. And while I can understand you were trying to be understanding (I looked at the comment you are referring to) you are in essence nicely telling the person they have no idea what they're talking about. And some people are not going to look at that and see it as good faith just because it's said in a nice way.

Imagine someone telling you, who as I understand it has a very thorough understanding of elementalist class, "I understand where you're coming from, I too have spent a lot of time playing a particular class in games before, but here is how you are wrong about basically everything you just said about how elementalist works."

At the offset, the assumption is "I'm right, you're wrong, so you need to listen, I'm just going to try to be polite about it," i.e. there is no room for consideration that you missed anything and they may actually have a point.

I just want people to consider what it's like to write a thread and be bombarded with people saying you don't know anything. And to be clear I'm not trying to, and don't want to, make this about you. I just wanted to address your comment since you brought it up as a way of saying that the actions of posters here are justified.

In general, this seems like a discussion that could have been interesting gotten way out of hand because of people being combative to OP and OP being combative in return. I've seen it myself with things I post on forums sometimes, where people think I'm overreacting, but I'm really just giving back what I got.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Yeah I know, you mean your comment specifically, but that's some of the attitudes they've had as replies throughout the thread. And while I can understand you were trying to be understanding (I looked at the comment you are referring to) you are in essence nicely telling the person they have no idea what they're talking about. And some people are not going to look at that and see it as good faith just because it's said in a nice way.

Imagine someone telling you, who as I understand it has a very thorough understanding of elementalist class, "I understand where you're coming from, I too have spent a lot of time playing a particular class in games before, but here is how you are wrong about basically everything you just said about how elementalist works."

At the offset, the assumption is "I'm right, you're wrong, so you need to listen, I'm just going to try to be polite about it," i.e. there is no room for consideration that you missed anything and they may actually have a point.

I just want people to consider what it's like to write a thread and be bombarded with people saying you don't know anything. And to be clear I'm not trying to, and don't want to, make this about you. I just wanted to address your comment since you brought it up as a way of saying that the actions of posters here are justified.

In general, this seems like a discussion that could have been interesting gotten way out of hand because of people being combative to OP and OP being combative in return. I've seen it myself with things I post on forums sometimes, where people think I'm overreacting, but I'm really just giving back what I got.

A better analogy would be if I showed up over on the WoW forums as a new player after spending a few days playing a mage, provided an extensive list of my GW2 elementalist experience and accomplishments in full-flex format, and then made a bunch of angsty comments based not on the way WoW works but the way other games work and then proceeded to aggressively respond to anyone who disagreed with me.

You get what you give.  That's all this is.  Plenty of new players don't act this way and they have a different experience.  As several others have pointed out, the forum is hardly the ANet fanclub.  I'd probably agree with some of the OP's perspectives (for instance, I think non-trinity was a mistake on ANet's part and it's the source of his aggro woes) if we could have had that conversation, but he took it another way.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

I get what you’re saying, but starting off any thread with “why I know better” credentials sets the tone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1