Add more player created content to next Xpac please!

I think something that could be expanded upon in the next xpac is player created content.  Currently it is limited to the imagination of the player and limitations of the game. PoF might have been a good time to roll this concept out but as we have seen in EoD we also got another mount. Who knows what the future holds mount addition wise. Still a separate feature of a future xpac could be player created content added to the game in a more substantial way.

Now what I am referring to with mounts you might ask? I’m talking about how people build mount races in their guild halls with the decoration system and in the open world with commander tags. This content could be expanded upon in a couple of ways. 1) Commander tags (or even a new tag system?) could be used to expand the tools available (number of lights) for people to define tracks. I wonder if it would be even possible instead of current lights to place gates and boosts that only people in your squad can see. To be able to better define a track course like current adventures in maps would be beneficial.  2) Create a mount racing hub system for instanced pvp content or just let the players imagination run wild in this Minecraft like space. (Minecraft is in reference to the extraordinary things people build not the pixelated infinite space, there would be limitations like current guild hall max objects I’d assume.) All things being equal players would be able to build track designs from this instanced area. Possibly having multiple maps to build upon and more of a guild hall arena system where multiple decorations are available once unlocked (or just available) verses crafting each individually. (I guess this can be debated upon but I’m thinking the artistic imagination of people’s designs is more important in a solo constructing effort then the amount of gold they have.)

It wouldn’t be only mount races it could be JP races as well. Or the players imagination might come up with something else entirely in this system. I could see some kind of mass decoration or competition? space (depending on decs available) that allow anyone to visit your space without being grouped. This could also be expanded upon in a third way.

3) A housing system that not only allows for house decoration but as I was getting to a system that allows the players to create some extraordinary outside the box things. A system that you would not have to be grouped in a party to view others homes. Instead of parties maybe they’d have to be in your friends list or in one of your guilds. You could just click on their name and click “view home” or even just have a fractal like gate menu where you can select which instance to view. I know that’s thousands of people right? Well not really, it would be more like the lfg listing system to select from within a fractal gate menu. Which I guess could be a physical open world  location way of selecting houses to view. We could also probably just have an additional lfg tab for this housing system.

Expanding on the player housing system would be another thing for a future xpac that can bring a lot of end game content for the player. Ways in which the devs might not have imagined. You could retool scribing for the solo player and fixing its current problems (having a redo/undo button, rotation on x-y-z axis, decorating underwater to name a few things) could be amazing. People in other forum posts have talked previously on more aspects of housing so I won’t go deep on it here, but you get the idea.

Bringing a player created content aspect to the next xpac might add wonderful end game content in several ways to the game that allow players to go beyond what the devs might of envisioned as well as building new communities.

See comment below for examples of what i'm thinking about.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

• Kelly.7019 changed the title to Future xpac ideas ~ add more player created content!

My current idea for future xpac is no housing.

Aaaaand OP changed the title of the thread (~"what's your idea for future xpac?"), so now my response is magically not as clear as it was 🙃 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

OP, you're highlighting the best scenarios explicitly, while ignoring the cons. Player created content is a double edged sword that has more sharpness pointed back at the game and developers. It comes with MANY issues both potential and actual.

First, quality of content. Let's face it, user created content is pretty solidly low quality in general. High in quantity, sure, but it just means flooding the game or community with low-quality content.

Second, censorship. Even with as restricted community created content that is the form of guild hall decorations, it is beyond easy to create things that simply breaks censorship - I can't even count how many guilds shared "funny" screenshots on reddit that put dicks on the giant statues in Lost Precipice. Imagine that time a thousand...

Third, curating. If you have any officially supported community content, you have curating of said content. And this means hiring people just to filter out the lowest quality content, and that's long-term pretty time consuming and fund draining.

For more on the cons, and some pros: 

Now don't get me wrong, I'm always for player modding. Player mods are the #1 method for a game living well beyond its natural life time (not live services). But I don't think that such has much place in MMOs, at least not on main servers, and officially shared player created content tends to have too many downsides than it tends to be worth.

What would be better are more one-off "user content contests" similar to the Design a Weapon Contests that had been held in the past.

As for player housing... that's a different topic entirely than you started, and something that's a bit of a dead horse to keep beating. Personally: Not for it, but not against it. Like the idea of party mounts and fishing, it's something that I hold no interest in.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

No housing please.

My idea for next expansion, short and sweet and closest to the English I can:

1. Story wise : the commander turns grey and funny by working with black side, idk he makes a party with aetherblades and do some shady things. The villain can be anyone, but in my mind aetherblades have more to say in GW2.

2. No elite spec like we know, this street is well done and must be dusted. To me its time to bring Holy Trinity and entire new instanced content for it.

I know I am dreaming, Anet already made up his mind about new expansion, but maybe the next one.  

• Confused 8
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Now don't get me wrong, I'm always for player modding. Player mods are the #1 method for a game living well beyond its natural life time (not live services). But I don't think that such has much place in MMOs, at least not on main servers, and officially shared player created content tends to have too many downsides than it tends to be worth.

I'm not talking about modding what so ever. I'm talking about content creation that already exists in gw2 via scribing! Expanding on that system is what i'm talking about. I was thinking more along the lines of GTA's player created pvp race tracks but for beetles, mounts or what ever you choose to build. GTA gives you the tools to create the tracks. I'm thinking in a similar way GW2 can use something like the guild hall arenas system which gives you all the decorations at once after you upgrade your hall. but obviously this would need revamping and probably into its own system/category.

As for player housing... that's a different topic entirely than you started, and something that's a bit of a dead horse to keep beating. Personally: Not for it, but not against it. Like the idea of party mounts and fishing, it's something that I hold no interest in.

it's not entirely different as far a building in this space thinking outside the box. it could also fit here (or just entirely add ALL this to guild halls and skip that housing part) In ghalls you already have the ability to build what ever you want with limitations. Here it would open it up for anyone, not just in your guild/ party to view and enter.

Communtiy wise i'm thinking more along the lines of what the ESO community has done, specifically guilds like "Spicy Economics" with Housing. Just allowing players to rotate decorations on the x-y-z axis opens up a huge potential to scribing or a housing system. It's not just house decorating but anything your mind can think of with limits to objects placed.  Here are some designs using the rotation aspect: https://spicyeconomics.com/interior-designs/ that first one just uses a vase, pillow and a wall but creates a whole kitchen/ dinette area out of 3 types of decorations! Other outside the box way of thinking creates a clock tower out of a rug and some candle sticks https://spicyeconomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/LiveLuxuryShowdown18ClockTower.png I even made a giant Krampus head by just rotating some objects around

Rotation could add so much to the possibilities with decorating in gw2! I even attempted making a Yacht which isn't a house, but you get the idea.

More to the community side of things people have made mazes which in gw2 which has issues due to, too many objects being too close. People have done it, but i know its a headache to get just right, but if that could be fixed things like this below could happen. https://spicyeconomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/HousingHike2019-March29ColdharbourMaze.png and have races associated with it (again similar to the gta thing posted above.)

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

• Kelly.7019 changed the title to Add more player created content to next Xpac please!
25 minutes ago, Kelly.7019 said:

I'm not talking about modding what so ever. I'm talking about content creation that already exists in gw2 via scribing! Expanding on that system is what i'm talking about. I was thinking more along the lines of GTA's player created pvp race tracks but for beetles, mounts or what ever you choose to build. GTA gives you the tools to create the tracks. I'm thinking in a similar way GW2 can use something like the guild hall arenas system which gives you all the decorations at once after you upgrade your hall. but obviously this would need revamping and probably into its own system/category.

I never said you were talking about modding.

My actual post remains relevant to your entire post. Especially my comment on what people did with guild decorations in Lost Precipice.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

My actual post remains relevant to your entire post. Especially my comment on what people did with guild decorations in Lost Precipice.

Decorations are already a thing in gw2 and they are still adding more. Having more content creation by players around a system that is open to all players and not just based on what guild you are in seems like a positive thing to me. This whole idea could just expand on the systems that already exists in the game.

and also add more tools for open world race creation through tags or even make new ones. (ok probably not that, but I mean what exactly was the kitty cat tag for? other then a gold sink, but we still got that anyways. At least this new potential tag could serve a real purpose.)

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Guilds who enjoy racing already cover this.  I don't really want to see someone's super wonderland filled with super adventure box decorations out in the world.  I don't want to see someone's incongruous concepts taking up space.  I don't want someone's maze outside of their guild hall.  

It's an interesting idea, and creative, but this isn't really that kind of game.  Player creations are best limited to disco ball outfits and gaudy dyes on mounts.  Now picture those players making a maze...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Guilds who enjoy racing already cover this.  I don't really want to see someone's super wonderland filled with super adventure box decorations out in the world.  I don't want to see someone's incongruous concepts taking up space.  I don't want someone's maze outside of their guild hall.  

It's an interesting idea, and creative, but this isn't really that kind of game.  Player creations are best limited to disco ball outfits and gaudy dyes on mounts.  Now picture those players making a maze...

You can't place decorations in the open world anyways. i'm saying adding more tools for commander tags like gates, boosts and more markers. 8 light markers just isn't enough. I was thinking just adding this to existing tags, but who knows a new tag might be something, i probs wouldn't want that i'm just brainstorming here.

Everything else would be instanced content, nothing would be in the open world. Sort of like selecting a fractal or pvp match to join. That's the concept.

Yea guilds... it should be open for all like the pvp/wvw system. If it was guild bound then listing or showcasing your creations some how for public view in a category all itself. Or add more guild slots. idk, but i'm on that fringe bubble that has no more room and needs a few more guild slots. I have 2 alt hoarder banks(b4 storage expanders) 🙂 , main guild, wvw guild, rp guild, no more room for beetle/griffon/ alt wvw guild. 😞

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Kelly.7019 said:

Decorations are already a thing in gw2 and they are still adding more. Having more content creation by players around a system that is open to all players and not just based on what guild you are in seems like a positive thing to me. This whole idea could just expand on the systems that already exists in the game.

and also add more tools for open world race creation through tags or even make new ones. (ok probably not that, but I mean what exactly was the kitty cat tag for? other then a gold sink, but we still got that anyways. At least this new potential tag could serve a real purpose.)

I feel like you've not even bothered to read my post about the downsides of player content in a wide variety.

Just because guild decorations exist, doesn't mean that officially supported player content of races and jumping puzzles would work. Yes, the basic player-side systems are in place for the "creation process", but literally nothing else, and especially for the actual issues.

If ANet were to go through with your suggestion, sure there will be some great stuff, but you'll also have ten times the amount of D*CKMANIA TRACKRACE stuff full of phalluses created out of 'creatively' placed decorations along the race track.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While everyone is posting videos about how great User Created Content is, should I hop on City of Heroes, take a few clips of the Mission Architect system and explain the overwhelming damage it did to the long term growth of the the game?

Any UCC beyond simple decorations in an MMO is absolute folly at best.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

I feel like you've not even bothered to read my post about the downsides of player content in a wide variety.

Just because guild decorations exist, doesn't mean that officially supported player content of races and jumping puzzles would work. Yes, the basic player-side systems are in place for the "creation process", but literally nothing else, and especially for the actual issues.

If ANet were to go through with your suggestion, sure there will be some great stuff, but you'll also have ten times of D*CKMANIA TRACKRACE stuff full of phalluses created out of 'creatively' placed decorations along the race track.

Great stuff is better than waiting for updates during a drought. Even if most of the stuff is bad. 

Also player housing is one of the most popular MMO gaming features for a reason. Its content creation on personal level that can be shared with others

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

some of those things don't apply to the systems of the game, some are problems and some positive things

If ANet were to go through with your suggestion, sure there will be some great stuff, but you'll also have ten times the amount of D*CKMANIA TRACKRACE stuff full of phalluses created out of 'creatively' placed decorations along the race track.

I assume you are referring to things like the "Johnson whale" mount skin anet made? I honestly don't see much of this like you are suggesting compared with the overwhelming majority of amazing, creatively cool, artistic, awe inspiring things players have made in gw2. That is mostly what i see. How ever they handled problems in the past, i'm sure would be applied in the same way here.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ausar.9542 said:

Also player housing is one of the most popular MMO gaming features for a reason. Its content creation on personal level that can be shared with others

Is it really though?
WoW doesn't have any.
BDO's is barely used by most people other than to gain relevant buffs and minmax progression.
Even FF14's implementation is a feature that the vast majority of players consistently ignore other than a passionate niche.
I can list a very long line of fairly successful MMOs that have zero player housing,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Kelly.7019 said:

I assume you are referring to things like the "Johnson whale" mount skin anet made?

Yes.

When I am talking about user created guild hall decoration assortments, I am definitely referring to a specific mount skin that ArenaNet made.

You are a master mind reader detective for cracking that code.

/s

No, I am referring to things like this (this is of the tame stuff): https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3zhfz0/decorations_are_fun/

And the reason you don't see it so much is because a) reddit moderators curate; b) guild decorations are expensive creating a high entry bar, c) sharing means going through third party non-guild sites (aka a lot of work for a simple troll laugh). Get rid of that and, well...

The internet is immature as all heck.

8 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Yes.

When I am talking about user created guild hall decoration assortments, I am definitely referring to a specific mount skin that ArenaNet made.

It's the same concept man. Players dyed the skin all one color at it sort of resemebled something else. I was just mentioning the only thing i ever noticed ingame in regards to that.

No, I am referring to things like this (this is of the tame stuff): https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3zhfz0/decorations_are_fun/

So statues are wearing bathing suits, sunglasses and hats? it's silly and creative. Maybe it's more about how the individual interprets it.

That to me is more like making ducks out of the shrubbery or teddy bears out of balloons.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

Ya we already have the concept somewhat with being able to decorate our toons. And look at the popularity and gemstore sales on that. Knowing how they roll, they could make money thru gemstore sales with a housing system too.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1