Make Gift from Scarlet damage allies within a certain range

Now hear me out. 

That item isn't tradeable in the slightest, it's a rather pointless item. These can't come in stacks, so you'ré pretty much forced to use them from the get-go, so why not spice it up just a little?

So the idea is that the Gift from Scarlet should blast you into a downed state, while also slapping off 20% HP on other players within a small AoE range. I think would be a great interactive item to use on other players. The potential use of these things become much more entertaining to use against your friends, family, your goldfish, you name it.

And the best of all: Destroy bot farmers with it.

Does this idea sound appealing or rather appalling? Would you want to have the GoS stay the way it is? Maybe you have some other suggestions of how you would want to rework this particular item?

Edited by FunKCX.4197
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

90% of the time it sounds ok. Randomly losing 20% of your health isn't particularly interesting but it's not a problem either, especially since I imagine this would mainly happen in towns so you'd just heal up again straight away.

I can imagine some people might get groups of 5 together (adjust the number based on how much health it takes off) to prank a friend by killing them which might be amusing.

But I can also imagine situations where it might be a problem. Like new players who, even if they understand that death is largely a non-issue in this game, might be worried or annoyed by having an 'artificially' high death count because they died to something they had no way of predicting or controlling. (It sounds silly now but I restarted my first GW1 character a few months in because I was annoyed at how high her death count was and wanted to see if I could do better.)

A much, much more niche but also more serious problem is that some people (myself included) like to attempt no-death challenges - trying to get to level 80 or complete various activities without dying at all and this would add a totally unpredictable and therefore unavoidable risk. I'd avoid logging into that character for a few months until the number of people getting the gift had gone down and probably be wary in cities and crowds the entire remainder of the time I'm playing that character. (And yes I know you said it would only take 20% of their health off, but I can absolutely guarantee that the main use for this would be players getting 5 or more gifts together and using them one after the other to do as much damage as possible.)

I don't think it's a big deal, but I also don't think the opportunity to introduce a new type of prank is worth the potential for it to be used maliciously.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Ppl will use them in big crowds like meta events and world bosses. And it would be border grieving. It won’t happen. It’s a no from me

and it won’t help with the bots anyway as they rarely get hit anyways and just heal out of combat 

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, FunKCX.4197 said:

Now hear me out. 

That item isn't tradeable in the slightest, it's a rather pointless item. These can't come in stacks, so you'ré pretty much forced to use them from the get-go, so why not spice it up just a little?

So the idea is that the Gift from Scarlet should blast you into a downed state, while also slapping off 20% HP on other players within a small AoE range. I think would be a great interactive item to use on other players. The potential use of these things become much more entertaining to use against your friends, family, your goldfish, you name it.

And the best of all: Destroy bot farmers with it.

Does this idea sound appealing or rather appalling? Would you want to have the GoS stay the way it is? Maybe you have some other suggestions of how you would want to rework this particular item?

Sure as long as I get 20% of the account value of the person hitting me. Calculate the value of the attackers account (mats, armor and weapons, etc) and transfer that value to the accounts of those he hit. If the attacker doesnt have that much liquid gold then unbind and transfer items instead. I would be delighted to get one of his legendary weapons, trinkets, etc. He gets his fun and I get something too. Everyone wins.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1