Why I've enjoyed Guild Wars 2 more than any other MMORPG and why I hate the Griffon and Skyscale quests more than any quests in any MMORPG.

These are all my personal opinions - I hated the last chain the skyscale quests that are nothing but boring, tedious mat farming for that wretched saddle.  They were particularly intolerable because the first part of the quest line was actually quite enjoyable where you are hatching and raising your skyscale.  Those quests really give the player a nice feeling of connection to the skyscale mount and while the objectives are time-gated, the activities with your growing skyscale are fun.

Unfortunately, the middle skyscale quests are another useless timesink where you are made to redo old content with the absurd excuse that your skyscale 'ran away' but at least ArenaNet was smart enough to allow players to buy their way out with gold.   They really should have offered something similar for the mat farming/saddle quests which ruined all of the charm of gained through the beginning the skyscale quest line.

I hated griffon quest chain even more than the one for the skyscale because no part of it had the same enjoyment as the steps of raising your skyscale.  The entire griffon quest line felt completely detached from the mount.  You are doing random missions like gathering armor and such with incredibly artificial and weak connections to the griffon.  Plus it ends with the destruction of one of the most beautiful Guild Wars 2 set pieces, the Sanctum/Library of Kormir, and kittens all over the story of Nenah, who had an amazingly written conclusion to her fate in our personal story.  At least they try to fix things for Nenah in LS4 (although it's a hidden Easter Egg and we don't get to see the Sanctum restored) but the player doesn't know that if they're doing the griffon quest in chronological order so that part of the griffon quest line really leaves a rotten taste - it's serves as terrible story topping for a horrible quest line.

Edited by DoctorOverlord.8620
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/3/2022 at 3:32 PM, Kori Jenkins.9017 said:

Collections have been in the game, this is true, but I've been playing this game since nearly the beginning and there were absolutely not multi-staged tedious collections like this one when I started. They were mainly item collections, many of which vendors just straight up sold or you could buy in one go on the TP. 

The skyscale collection is a special kind of bad. Sure, it sorta breaks the game; the reward is great, but should great rewards mean great suffering? Is that really a smart strategy as developers of a game? To torment your players with a collection quest that is both boring and takes hours? 

In hindsight I think it might have been worse than I remember it being. Now I'll say something like "flying around Dragonfall is easy, collection not hard" but I didn't have the skyscale when I did it (nor did anyone who did it for the first time). You sorta forget how annoying it is trying not to accidentally walk off tree branches with the springer. 

My experience with guilds is pretty lame as well. Most are just those massive guilds with hundreds of members, mostly noobs or inexperienced solo players that never talk, who demand you rep them 100% on all accounts under threat of being kicked, or discord guilds that never talk at all in-game. Discord really damaged in-game elements of the community across all games. =

Agreed 100% i really hate Discord.. too much drama and malware.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1