Best overall statset for OW/solo usage?

SunTzu.4513

Greetings,

i'm returning after a long break from the game and dusted off my beloved necromancer. I already have a full berserker and vipers set at hand. I want to just play story, do map completion and world events/archievments in a chill way to relax after a long day. So i'm looking for an good overall set of gear. I want to change between core/reaper/harb/scourge depending on my mood without having to change around gear all the time. I have no leggy armor so i want to build one gearset to fit them all. I'm thinking about celestial or trailblazers. Celestial looks a tiny bit more appealing atm. The overall statspread should allow to play more support/heal oriented on big metaevents too imo.

So what's you advice? Are there any other good stat sets which i just don't know?

I also like to solo roam in WvW from time to time.

Edited by SunTzu.4513

If all you're aiming for is playing OW and story-content, I would say that it genuinely doesn't matter what you run, as long as it makes  at least a little bit of sense. I made myself a fancy harb condi build that uses minions, scepter and staff and I'm being a happy necro. I know it's not likely to slay in PvP or raids, but it's not supposed to. Pick whatever weapons you like and build around them. Maybe you never bothered to equip Death Magic or Blood magic, this could be a good opportunity to try something new and to explore necro even further. 

For WvW, it depends a lot on what you're aiming for. If you're running with a big group, I'd just take a staff and roll with it. If you're planning on running around solo, you might want to stick to the more meta condi-builds.

As for the "I dont want to have to switch up my entire gear based on the spec i want to play", I would advise you to take celestial. HOWEVER, accept that this is inevitably going to lead to lower than optimal numbers, and perhaps even some problems due to pulling aggro because of your toughness.

If all you want is to not die and just slash away, try mainhand dagger. the damage may be so-so but you basically have a 2nd healing skill.

1 hour ago, Methuselah.4376 said:

For condi builds, trailblazer with torment runes (even post nerf) will likely be the best. For power builds, probably Marauders. If you want a hybrid build to switch things around on, probably grieving, with torment runes, demon sigil and meaty asparagus skewers for scourge and harbinger.

On trailblazer, you can go with Undead Runes. That's a pretty good alternative (your torment won't last as long as with torment runes, but all your condi will hit harder) and way cheaper.

Edited by Kaladel.1670

Celestial is the best choice for solo play if you build for it correctly. 

Aka if you generate enough Boons to benefit from Concentration (taking Spite for Reaper's Might or at the very least Sigil of Strength, Dread or Harbinger for Quickness and Fury, etc.), build enough sustain to make Healing Power worth it (Scourge Barriers, Harb's Alchemic Vigor, Tormenting Runes Regen etc.), and your build has at least some Hybrid Damage. 

If you can utilize most to all stats effectively across your builds, Celestial will provide the greatest value and performance.

Additionally as you mentioned, it allows you to be a competent Quickness bot on Harb and Barrier and Res bot on Scourge for casual group activities if so desired.

Otherwise you are better off with Trailblazers for Condi Scourge and Harb or Marauder/Diviner for Reaper for more single purpose builds. 

If you main concern is just Story and general OW content then there isn't really a failure condition and everything goes. Celestial will be the most reliable and flexible here for that too though.

I have 3 sets of gear I’ll swap between depending on what I’m up to. If I’m feeling lazy and just want to set it and forget it for the day, I’ll go Marauder Reaper with Scholar runes. 

When I first came back after an extended break I used Vampire runes to keep me topped off while getting reacclimated  to dodging.

Edited by Maltyrius.2961

On 8/11/2022 at 4:12 PM, SunTzu.4513 said:

I already have a full berserker and vipers set at hand. I want to just play story, do map completion and world events/archievments in a chill way to relax after a long day.

If you are not a keyboard turner (a person with super slow reaction times), then that's all you need. You can achieve plenty of sustain via traits and utility skills. There is no need to invest in another attribute combination.

If you are a keyboard turner or just don't know what to aim for next in the game or you plan to enter WvW some day, then just go for celestial. It's flexible and generally overpowered in terms of overall attributes.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

If you are not a keyboard turner (a person with super slow reaction times), then that's all you need. You can achieve plenty of sustain via traits and utility skills. There is no need to invest in another attribute combination.

If you are a keyboard turner or just don't know what to aim for next in the game or you plan to enter WvW some day, then just go for celestial. It's flexible and generally overpowered in terms of overall attributes.

Not only that. If you're doing certain world events such as dragons end in anything but these sets, you are wasting peoples time and risking event failure. The amount of people that don't already pull their weight on these things is already staggering as it is, and is one of the big reasons Dragons End fails for a lot of people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

you don't really need marauder or trailblazer.

Viper or Zerker is fine, necro is quite stable due to shroud / barriers and it's safe to play full glasscannon.

Harbinger is a little bit different there.

one of my favourite OW Builds for Meta Events is Plaguedoctor tho. The damage is okay-ish and the support with healing / rezzing is very nice.

but i guess that's out of Question when your tryharding so much like the fella above me.

• Confused 1

This highly depends on your skill level. Celestial, Ritualist and Trailblazer are all great if you lack the experience with the mechanics of necromancer or understand how the mechanics of a given encounter works. But for me personally I'd say the best is Viper's followed by berserker/assassins. But I wouldn't recommend going that glassy until you get comfortable with the class. I use Ritualist+vipers on my harbinger because I like having permanent quickness up time and I feel it makes up for the harbinger's slow to build up damage rotation.

For reaper my preference is Vipers+Sinister as of late with Krait runes using Scepter+Warhorn and Staff using Spite+Curses for Dread to get high uptime of quickness, 25 stacks of vuln and extra might generation to sustain decent damage. With the changes to dagger and staff coming next week this build will become more potent. I've tested it with Grieving+vipers as well, but the extra crit chance from sinister I feel is a bit better.

For Scourge, Pure Vipers. Basically identical to the raid build only I run sadistic searing and trail of anguish since I'm moving a lot so that minor boost to damage is nice, plus trail offers me a stunbreak which I don't often run otherwise.

For Harbinger I run Ritualist+Vipers. This is your standard Quickbringer build. Harbinger doesn't have the burst out the gate Scourge does (Trust me, I've done tones and tones and tones of testing, it is about a second and a half slower to build up) but once it gets going it has great damage. Plus I like that I get to provide quickness to others around me.

IF you had to make one set though. Celestial is probably your best choice since it gives you the flexability to run basically everything. I'd Pick Nightmare runes since all 3 condi builds can benefit from that. It wont be nearly as effective as being more specific but it'll be flexible enough to change up your play style.

• Thanks 2

so, I'm running this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PShAEZlRwOYXMFGJOSXlNbA-zRRYbBLGVvyIiqqiU1zDgAtc9fAA-e

I like it b'cuz it has exactly (and I mean exactly) 100% critical chance without needing fury and against trash mobs is a blast (literally).

however, the dmg overall is a little low and the sustain is not really better than berserker so against champs and legendary foes it's not really impressive. Also, in group fights like WBs where you get fury easily, you'll be wasting your extra precision.

so, I just came on with this other build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PShAEZlRwOYXMFGJOSXlNbA-zRRYBBBKGVfflRFVVGpq+XgA+9fAA-e

it has exactly 75% critical chance (100% with fury) just like my berserker build but with way more sustain and just a little less dmg.

and my berserker build for max dmg: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PShAEZlRwOYXMFGJOSXlNbA-zRIYRU9XGVUVZkqeeBC43/BA-e

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 5:28 PM, Methuselah.4376 said:

For condi builds, trailblazer with torment runes (even post nerf) will likely be the best. For power builds, probably Marauders. If you want a hybrid build to switch things around on, probably grieving, with torment runes, demon sigil and meaty asparagus skewers for scourge and harbinger.

Hey, do you have a link to that build with torment runes?

Edited by ruikarikun.9402

On 8/16/2022 at 8:49 PM, Zanther Deathbringer.4762 said:

in anything but these sets, you are wasting peoples time and risking event failure. The amount of people that don't already pull their weight on these things is already staggering 

When was the last time you touched some grass? 🙄

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If you're lazy like me:  Soldier's armor and weapons, Cleric's trinkets, and Superior Runes of the Vampire.

Threw staff on as my ranged weapon, and I am having a great time running a minions build (Death, Blood, Soul Reaping) together with daggers for extra personal healing.

Here's the full build:  http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwAgiZlFwmYVMK2IeqTeLNA-zRQUfwS0xGD4cwEw/AA-e

• Confused 1