This is why I love this game

It’s good the community shows new players how helpful and nice most players are. We cannot protect them from the trolls or doomsayers, but we can show them the good side of the game. Much love to the mentors, commanders and players in general making their arrival to the game as nice as possible ❤️

• Like 3

This is one of the things I really like about this community, the willingness to welcome and help new players. It's not totally unique to GW2 but it seems like a bigger proportion of the community is excited about new players whereas when other games I've played have expected a big influx of new players the excited people are balanced out by negative ones and out-weighed by the indifferent ones.

I'm kind of disappointed I can't be in-game this evening to join in, but I'm hoping to make up for it later on and be there to greet some of the ones who don't get the game right away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Farohna.6247 said:

Join in and welcome people!  

I wish I could but I have to wait for tomorrow to join the fun. Quite the bummer. I will however join first thing tomorrow as I am free to play the game then! A bit late to the party but it’ll have to do xD it is also late in Europe now, so I’m sure there will still be new players arriving tomorrow as well! 

1 minute ago, Freya.9075 said:

I wish I could but I have to wait for tomorrow to join the fun. Quite the bummer. I will however join first thing tomorrow as I am free to play the game then! A bit late to the party but it’ll have to do xD it is also late in Europe now, so I’m sure there will still be new players arriving tomorrow as well! 

I think there will be enough to welcome all week and maybe more this weekend!  I look forward to logging in later to welcome them as well.  Briefly logged in earlier to see many groups waiting to welcome them, setting up, having a good time, laughing about blinding them with their brilliance of gear.  It's nice to see the community making a festivity out of it.  A lot of people have made bags to hand out, as well as all the things OP mentioned.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is awesome, and I am proud of how this community shows its hand considering the Steam forums are a toxic nightmare right now. Our community is being totally disrespected over there, but the in game truth speaks for itself - which is why we all continue playing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lysico.4906 said:

We look like idiots with the welcome wagon.    Jus5 let people play

Now now mr or miss grumpy. I am pretty sure the mentors and players welcoming new players doesn’t surround them like vultures and stalk them screaming “LET ME HELP YOU!”. 

if they want to play alone they are free to do so. what’s happening is a gathering of new players and veterans talking in the starting areas. You can easily just walk past them if you don’t wish to join them. Helping new players and welcoming them is not looking like idiots. However we can discuss wether or not being toxic is 👀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Lysico.4906 said:

We look like idiots with the welcome wagon.    Jus5 let people play

"They need to be punished with negative reviews"

I am not sure the opinion of someone suggesting that ANet needs to be punished with negative reviews can be trusted regarding trying to create a positive experience for new players.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, phokus.8934 said:

Especially when they have their outlandish and mishmosh wardrobes on with bright colors.  That's a big deterrent for a lot of people.

oh yeah when I came back to the game after 3 years I was like WAT?! Was this game always so hard to look at? Then I remembered the option to turn everyone into plain-looking dummy.

Edited by Arianth Moonlight.6453
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

This is one of the things I really like about this community, the willingness to welcome and help new players. It's not totally unique to GW2 but it seems like a bigger proportion of the community is excited about new players whereas when other games I've played have expected a big influx of new players the excited people are balanced out by negative ones and out-weighed by the indifferent ones.

I'm kind of disappointed I can't be in-game this evening to join in, but I'm hoping to make up for it later on and be there to greet some of the ones who don't get the game right away.

Don't forget that there are a lot of people who are weekend-only players.  I expect to see a lot of new players then as well.

14 minutes ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

Don't forget that there are a lot of people who are weekend-only players.  I expect to see a lot of new players then as well.

That's true, but I also won't be able to get online at the weekend.

That's not a bad thing, I'm doing some very exciting things instead (although not as exciting after Rage Against the Machine and Måneskin cancelled their Reading Festival performances) but it's slightly annoying that it means missing a lot of the anniversary event.

I'll just have to make the best of the time I have. In a way it seems fitting, I missed most of the first week after release because I was away, and a lot of my memories of the first couple of years are trying to do as much of Season 1 as I could in the time I could be online.

Edited by Danikat.8537