Steam account bugs and strange behaviors

I started playing with a steam account, first as a F2P and then I bought the expansions, I would like to help describing what, as a new player, I found not clear or something that seems a bug.

1) I can connect to the forum with my Steam account but i can't open a ticket or contact support, the only way is sending an e-mail.

2) I can't use my guild bank for not clear resaons, digging into the problem with google I've found that I should link my phone or a 2FA but again it's not clear why and how to do it (as a steam account)

3) As a PVE player I can unlock a base mount just buying the expansion EOD and I can unlock the base glider just using a teleport to friend that you provide us with the steam promo, but again if I boost to 80 and I go WvW I cannot unlock the glider and/or the mount, I need to buy also HOT and POF expansions to be able to unlock them, so in PVE I can use something that i can't use in WvW with the same expansion, this si not clear and not fun for a new player.
4) In my web profile I see:
     Region

North America
but it's not true, I'm from Europe and i play in a european server.

It's all for now, thank you again for all your efforts to give us a better game

Edited by Lorenzo.8257
added point
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

The guild itself may have restrictions on you as a new member. Guild bank access could be one of those restrictions, ask your guild leader. There are also new account restrictions placed by Arenanet on new accounts, a way that they discourage gold traders. Those restrictions get lifted slowly over time. Full details are on the wiki.

You bought only EoD, not HoT and PoF, correct? EoD will unlock your raptor, but not the Warclaw, which is the WvW mount. Unless something has changed, that's the way I understand it. Even owning those expansions, you have to unlock the warclaw via a process in WvW (complete a reward track, take a tower, buy some stuff, etc).

Gliding should be unlocked via EoD, though I'm not sure when that happens, since I already had it unlocked. In WvW, you just need to invest points into it.

I'd recommend reading up on all that on the wiki, it is a great source of GW2 info.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Region means your data center is North America; you can choose any World from either data center, NA or EU.

Gliding is a Heart of Thorns mechanic; Mounts are a Path of Fire mechanic.  You'll need those expansions to unlock the Gliding Mastery and Mount Mastery; those are needed to unlock the WvW Mastery for each.

There are restrictions on new accounts, whether they be Steam or non-Steam.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Account#Limitations

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053416353-Steam-FAQ

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

The guild itself may have restrictions on you as a new member. Guild bank access could be one of those restrictions, ask your guild leader. There are also new account restrictions placed by Arenanet on new accounts, a way that they discourage gold traders. Those restrictions get lifted slowly over time. Full details are on the wiki.

You bought only EoD, not HoT and PoF, correct? EoD will unlock your raptor, but not the Warclaw, which is the WvW mount. Unless something has changed, that's the way I understand it. Even owning those expansions, you have to unlock the warclaw via a process in WvW (complete a reward track, take a tower, buy some stuff, etc).

Gliding should be unlocked via EoD, though I'm not sure when that happens, since I already had it unlocked. In WvW, you just need to invest points into it.

I'd recommend reading up on all that on the wiki, it is a great source of GW2 info.

Don't think this is the case my friends gave me all the rights, even leader and nothing changed.

About glider and mount i know and understand they are POF and HOT stuff btw seems strange you get it in PVE (and for free, no missions, no achievements) but not in WvW I expected to be able to usa a basic mount and a basic glider, no mastery, also in WvW as it is in PVE, I get something (a Mount and a Glider) that are part of different expansion (not EOD) in PVE but not in WvW where seems they are mandatory, so to be able to play in WvW I MUST buy the other 2 expansions but i can play PVE without problems.
I know also that I can choose my server NA or EU, and I did, the "strange" thing is that my account seems to be from USA and this is a nonsense I play from EU and I chosed an EU server so why I'm from USA in my account page?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

There are restrictions on new accounts, whether they be Steam or non-Steam.

Exactly but my problem is: What I must do to avoid this limitation?, I bought a full expansion, I'm enabled to see the guild bank from my guild but I can't and nothing explain exactly What I can do to fix this problem, the only thing is send an e-mail to support because I can't use the ticket system on my personal page as all the others

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Submit a Ticket (or send email if Steam account) and ask the CS Team to move you to the EU data center.  They may ask you to pay for this; you'll have to explain you want to stay on the same World. 

Mount acquisition is not going to change, same with Gliding in WvW.

New account limitations won't change, either.  You will just have to wait the few days.  Sorry.

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

The region doesn't matter. It's a leftover from when they were planning to region lock the game. It likely defaults to NA for Steam because the account is created for you, whereas normally it's determined by the region of the key used to register the account. It does determine which region you have to login through, but Steam uses its own login, so it probably doesn't matter.

To fix this, they'd probably just hide it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Lorenzo.8257 said:

1) I can connect to the forum with my Steam account but i can't open a ticket or contact support, the only way is sending an e-mail.

2) I can't use my guild bank for not clear resaons, digging into the problem with google I've found that I should link my phone or a 2FA but again it's not clear why and how to do it (as a steam account)

3) As a PVE player I can unlock a base mount just buying the expansion EOD and I can unlock the base glider just using a teleport to friend that you provide us with the steam promo, but again if I boost to 80 and I go WvW I cannot unlock the glider and/or the mount, I need to buy also HOT and POF expansions to be able to unlock them, so in PVE I can use something that i can't use in WvW with the same expansion, this si not clear and not fun for a new player.
4) In my web profile I see:
     Region

North America
but it's not true, I'm from Europe and i play in a european server.

1. You can't open a ticket from this page: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/requests/new ? Try signing in there as well.

2.  You have to wait 72 hours after joining a guild to be able to access it.

3. You just need to spend 3 points on the War Gliding mastery to be able to glide in WvW. After activating it, gliding will only work in territories your world owns. As for mounts, none of them can be used except for the Warclaw, which you must unlock there as well with your points.

4. Is there any issue with whether it states your region as EU or NA so long as you can log onto EU servers and play there?

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

1. You can't open a ticket from this page: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/requests/new ? Try signing in there as well.

3. You just need to spend 3 points on the War Gliding mastery to be able to glide in WvW. After activating it, gliding will only work in territories your world owns. As for mounts, none of them can be used except for the Warclaw, which you must unlock there as well with your points.

4. Is there any issue with whether it states your region as EU or NA so long as you can log onto EU servers and play there?

Steam accounts can only contact the CS Team through email.

One must own Path of Fire to acquire a Warclaw in WvW.

• Confused 4

18 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

War Gliding requires HoT ownership.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Lorenzo.8257 said:

Exactly but my problem is: What I must do to avoid this limitation?, I bought a full expansion, I'm enabled to see the guild bank from my guild but I can't and nothing explain exactly What I can do to fix this problem, the only thing is send an e-mail to support because I can't use the ticket system on my personal page as all the others

I came across another player who seemed to also be locked out of a guild bank from Steam after buying the game.  They also still had restrictions on sending mail.  And they claimed it had already been days and were wondering when it's all supposed to unlock.

To me it sounded like some oversight with the guild bank and the SMS/2FA thing.  Since all authentication is done by Steam, obviously you wouldn't set up any Arenanet SMS/2FA.  I would definitely contact support about it.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 12:09 AM, Healix.5819 said:

The region doesn't matter. It's a leftover from when they were planning to region lock the game. It likely defaults to NA for Steam because the account is created for you, whereas normally it's determined by the region of the key used to register the account. It does determine which region you have to login through, but Steam uses its own login, so it probably doesn't matter.

To fix this, they'd probably just hide it.

Exactly, this is the point, I wanted just to let them notice that this could be a nonsense for a player, they should hide for sure if it's not related to the server

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 8/29/2022 at 11:28 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Submit a Ticket (or send email if Steam account) and ask the CS Team to move you to the EU data center.  They may ask you to pay for this; you'll have to explain you want to stay on the same World. 

New account limitations won't change, either.  You will just have to wait the few days.  Sorry.

Sorry but You still do not understand the point, I'm sure it's my fault, let's try like this:

Thie problem is exactly that it's "bad" to be able to contact support ONLY by e-mail, they should work to avoid this "in the future", and this will be "good" for Steam players, for sure, because problems are normal and if they implemented a ticket system with the experience from 2012 release, well, there is a reason.

Also this is "bad" not for me but for every new player tha buy a full EOD expansion, understanding this will be "good" for new player experience, my hope is that in the future they could be solve this issue, maybe not today but one day, it shouldn't be a big problem to unlock glider and mount ONLY at first WvW mastery level (EXACTLY as in PVE) and unlock all the track if You buy POF/HOT

this is absolutely clear from your message, it's ok, but the point is: I's not clear from ANY message in game that the reason is the time, sadly i cannot attach screenshot to let you explain this point, but believe me a new player will not understand and I'm quite sure that the problem will not solve with the time, I'll keep you updated

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I came across another player who seemed to also be locked out of a guild bank from Steam after buying the game.  They also still had restrictions on sending mail.  And they claimed it had already been days and were wondering when it's all supposed to unlock.

To me it sounded like some oversight with the guild bank and the SMS/2FA thing.  Since all authentication is done by Steam, obviously you wouldn't set up any Arenanet SMS/2FA.  I would definitely contact support about it.

Thank You 🙂 finally someone who understood the point, and the other problem i mentioned is exactly related to this point, if i have such an issue it's really not easy to contact support and track the resolution for a steam user, hope they will ear from all the reports about this issue  and that they will change soon.

Edited by Lorenzo.8257
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Did you guys even bother looking at the wiki? It lists how many days are needed before an account can have full access, up to a month since applying a code.

This is the same of RTFM, it wasn't a good answer years ago and for sure is not today, my message was a report on the issues a new steam player have when he start to play the game, you can't improve if you don't understand the problems, a bug report is for this.

Edited by Lorenzo.8257
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/29/2022 at 3:24 PM, DeanBB.4268 said:

this is clear, but please read my report, I was even appointed guild leader (so no restrictions from guild) but the message do not say something different from (contact your guild leader) so I tried to investigate reading the wiki and searching in forums so i noticed that recently they introduced as mandatory the 2FA (not mentioned in game error) so I tried to actrivate 2FA (as a Steam player) and well it was impossible, so I tried to contact support but (as Steam Player) was possible only by e-mail, do you think all of this can be user friendly? i doubt it.

Well i did it and I can tell You: with EOD you unlock the raptor SIMPLY activating the EOD expansion, so no mission, no achievements, no vendors etc. You buy the expansion and boom you have a basic mount in PVE, for the glider you unlock it just ENTERING the first EOD map, using for example one of the teleport to friend that Arenanet gifted with the game, again no mission, no achievement, no vendor, nothing, you buy the expansion, you boost to 80, you enter EOD map joining a commander in LFG and boom you have a basic mount and a basic glider, no efforts, If you could do the same in wvw or at least unlock the mastery track with just the FIRST slot to JUST enable glider and mount track  (it's ok to do the track, no problems) and be able to unlock JUST the basic warclaw wit the other mastery locked, it's this a problem? maybe yes but maybe they could take in account this option to be fair, doing WvW WITHOUT glider and mounts it's the same as doing EOD stuff without a glider and a mount in PVE

Please be kind, I did, as I said, but reading the wiki didn't solved these issues, for this reason i posted here my message.
thank again for your patience

Edited by Lorenzo.8257
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Contacting the CS Team via email is a lot easier than submitting a ticket; and never has the log-in loop that plagues so many.

All the other issues mentioned are not Steam-specific; they are part and parcel of the game and apply to all, Steam or no.  Acquiring a Raptor, permanently, by purchasing an expansion is something brand new; Gliding from End of Dragons just happened with, of course, EoD release. 

Doubtful there will be any Warclaw changes in the near future, as the WvW Team is working on Alliances.

Good luck on the suggestions, though. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

23 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Contacting the CS Team via email is a lot easier than submitting a ticket; and never has the log-in loop that plagues so many.

I accept you opinion but in my experience it is not, and they implemented a ticketing system exactly for this reason, it's easyer, more related with the identity of the player and can be tracked, with history, etc. a mail can be lost, there is no history, you are not sure that they receiced it, can be deleted accidentally, can go to junk mail etc.. and personally I hadn't any problem at all connecting with my player page using the steam account, also with this forum.

All the other issues mentioned are not Steam-specific; they are part and parcel of the game and apply to all, Steam or no.  Acquiring a Raptor, permanently, by purchasing an expansion is something brand new; Gliding from End of Dragons just happened with, of course, EoD release. 

Yes you are right ,  but they are here because many steam players are new players and these problem will be there for them mainly, if you play free with steam (and they are a lot) buying EOD only will cause these problems, not because they are from steam but they will be more than the "normal" new players.

Doubtful there will be any Warclaw changes in the near future, as the WvW Team is working on Alliances.

Good luck on the suggestions, though. 

Yes I think the same, due to the nature of this issue it seems to me that PVE and WvW are 2 different teams that do not talk each other, they realesed two different "user experience" with the same expansion and from what I've seen WvW do not have any changes at all due to EOD expansion, my guess is that the good work that PVE Team did with open world, allowing new player to fully be able to play in EOD  was completelu ignored by the WvW team and this could cause problems with new players experience and not with the exixting one obviously.

thank again for you answers.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/30/2022 at 1:28 AM, Silent.6137 said:

No, the message i get is this (that was first part of the issue):

Customer Support for Steam Accounts

To contact support, email support@arena.net and include the following details about your account:

• Steam ID: <steamnumber>
  • Display name: XXXXX.1234

This is understandable, but the error i got was: "ask your guild administrator" that is different, i suggested to change the message and explain the real problem. it's not easy for a new player to realize the real problem at first.

No, sadly, this was the other problem: if you buy only EOD expansion you can't unlock glider and mount in wvw, you need to buy also POF/HOT

No, as I said in the message I'm from EU, I play in EU server without problems, but in my account web page my location is:USA and as another person said before it's due to the fact that probably every Steam account for some reason are from USA even if you are from EU

Edited by Lorenzo.8257
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 5:55 PM, Lorenzo.8257 said:

Yes I think the same, due to the nature of this issue it seems to me that PVE and WvW are 2 different teams that do not talk each other, they realesed two different "user experience" with the same expansion and from what I've seen WvW do not have any changes at all due to EOD expansion, my guess is that the good work that PVE Team did with open world, allowing new player to fully be able to play in EOD  was completelu ignored by the WvW team and this could cause problems with new players experience and not with the exixting one obviously.

thank again for you answers.

I Agree with You, for a new player the experience would be better having the same features, it's just a nonsense that core game players (they payed a lot for the game at the time, the deluxe and collector's editions they cost more than all the expansions) or EOD players can't play WvW anymore without glider and mount (basic) for this reason PVE division were so smart to let EOD players to be able to have a basic version of the glider/mount, they learned from previous errors (lot of core base players unable to play the "actual" game in core maps) at least they could enable free player to rent glider and mounts like during festivals, well there are many things you can do, but WvW team seems to be completely disconnected from the other game mode.

Edited by nargilli.6987
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Do you get it in wvw tho or only basic gliding in pve open world?

Only in PvE, glider automatically unlocked when you enter an EOD map the first time (like joining a commander with a tp to friend) and mount as you get the exapnsion active from F2P, sadly in WvW they dont unlock proper slots to activate basic glider and mount

Edited by NaramSin.2693
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1