YES you CAN link your ANET account to Steam. And it's really easy.

On 10/18/2022 at 5:52 AM, BadHealer.3608 said:

Could someone please explain to me how this should work? I notice when I pay something on my steam account, it didn't appear on the ANET account. Why is this, although I did follow the easy description how to link my ANET account to steam?

It won't show up because you CAN'T link your ArenaNet account to Steam.

Anything bought through Steam is for Steam accounts.  https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053416353-Steam-FAQ

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
typo
  • Like 3

On 9/7/2022 at 2:53 AM, DaFishBob.6518 said:

I thought the client download from Steam was identical to the client download from this site,

It is. Steam runs it on top of Proton layer, removing need for Wine (or proton as standalone). In full honesty, there is no real advantage in running game on steam (there is harm, if you buy stuff via steam,  as steam keeps part of the money).

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tested this on Steam Deck yet? Like does it run just the same as the Steam version of the game on Steam Deck, just using your ANet account instead of your Steam account? Or does it run the game as if you were to add the game as a non-steam game? Hopefully I'm getting that differentiation across, but there is actually a big difference (at least to me there is). I'll have to try it later when I get home!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

So why is the topic saying "YES you CAN link your ANET account to Steam. And it's really easy.", when this is impossible to do. Quite confusing.

Not everything stated on the forums is reliable:

Can I link my Guild Wars 1 account to my Guild Wars 2 Steam account?

No, Guild Wars 1 accounts cannot be linked to a Guild Wars 2 account that was created via Steam. If your Guild Wars 2 account was created via Steam, you will not have the option to link a Guild Wars 1 account within the Account Management page of your ArenaNet account.

However, if you have a Guild Wars 1 account that was created via Steam, you will be able to link it to an existing [non-Steam] Guild Wars 2/ArenaNet account that was created via the Guild Wars 2 website. Steps on how to link to an ArenaNet account can be located here.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053416353-Steam-FAQ

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2022 at 8:03 PM, Andur.9275 said:

As you might have noticed (😅) I dislike the Steam launcher as well, but can anyone using it for GW2 answer what the advantage could be?  Will the steam launcher override the ANet launcher or is the main reason just to have everything in one launcher? If the latter, how do you handle games connected to other launchers like gog, blizzard, epic, the ms xbox-thingy, etc? Can they all be integrated?

For me, the Anet launcher takes forever to download. I can wait around 10 minutes with the steam launcher or 10 + hours waiting for Anet to download each file individually. Because they are downloading 600,000+ ~1KB files it can never get up to speed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, KirkDiggler.9460 said:

For me, the Anet launcher takes forever to download. I can wait around 10 minutes with the steam launcher or 10 + hours waiting for Anet to download each file individually. Because they are downloading 600,000+ ~1KB files it can never get up to speed.

Ok, yeah one of the last updates took pretty long, because many little files (shaders and stuff for DX11) had to be downloaded, but does it always take that long for you? Thats strange. 🤔

But its really interesting, because in general I have the opposite experience. Usually updates via steam take pretty long for me.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 1:29 AM, Andur.9275 said:

The thing I never understood is: why would I want to link GW2 to steam? Are there any advantages like tradable achievements and collectibles? Or is there another reason to use a third party launcher?

There is not real advantage its just that some people like to have all their games in one place with easy access... that's pretty much it

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ApexWolfPR.6572 said:

There is not real advantage its just that some people like to have all their games in one place with easy access... that's pretty much it

Ok, I get that. It's nice to have something like a good library where everything is displayed in one place. 👍🏻

On the other hand we already have such kind of thing, it's called explorer.exe... 😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I am a Linux player and Proton is an awesome framework to play Windows games under Linux. It's almost as easy as if you were under Windows. Valve as done an awesome work for linux players.
And to be faire, I also have the majority of my games under Steam, and it's been a long time since I have the reflex to start it each time I want to play a game on my computer (Steam sales syndrom).

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 11/17/2022 at 10:40 PM, BadHealer.3608 said:

So why is the topic saying "YES you CAN link your ANET account to Steam. And it's really easy.", when this is impossible to do. Quite confusing.

Because the OP hasn't got a clue or simply doesn't know the difference between linking and launching (and never bothered to correct the thread's title after it was explained multiple times throughout the thread that linking isn't possible)?

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 8:34 AM, Crono.4197 said:

Same, I fail to understand why people think the game is "unplayable" if you don't have it on Steam and make such a big drama out of it.

On 9/6/2022 at 8:29 AM, Andur.9275 said:

The thing I never understood is: why would I want to link GW2 to steam? Are there any advantages like tradable achievements and collectibles? Or is there another reason to use a third party launcher?

Its one of the easier ways to play it on linux OS. Its just straight forward install, while with wine, lutris etc... is quite annoying to install it until you make it work properly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Krax.6750 said:

Its one of the easier ways to play it on linux OS. Its just straight forward install, while with wine, lutris etc... is quite annoying to install it until you make it work properly.

That really makes sense, even to a Steam Grinch like me. 😁

If I launch gw2 with the method described here, will it update through steam or gw2 launcher?

Because gw2 launcher is kinda borked for me, it just stops updating after a while and its really slow. Its a known bug and I found a partial solution but its still not the best. 

Also will steam track my playtime? 

15 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

If I launch gw2 with the method described here, will it update through steam or gw2 launcher?

Steam only downloads an old copy of GW2 to start with. All updates are through GW2 itself.

16 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Also will steam track my playtime? 

Yes.

• Like 1