Fixing MM maybe now?

Bazooka.3590

For the thousandth time in 10 years...  (sigh)

With great respect.

Dear Anet, when will you fix the kitten match making?

In 80% of the time MM makes matches total unfair, both class and experience unbalanced with a result of 50-500.  One team killing the other on their spawn point and they cursing each other but the only one is to blame here is you (and I know you know that) 

It's total not fun to play on either side. It's annoying, frustrating and makes ppl super toxic so plz fix it asap. Thanks.  (over the years I've posted many solutions for that so plz read them if you really don't know what to do)

This game doesn't use Glicko2 correctly and it never did.

Glicko is a measurement of an individual's skill rating yet this game uses it as a measurement of the team's rating, which falls apart completely. Nothing you do as an individual, either getting all top stats or none at all, has any effect on your rating (only whether your team wins or loses the match)  and combined with a low player population, are the few reasons matchmaking is so messed up.

But I've written enough about it over the years, the devs don't care about PvP anymore.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Glicko is a measurement of an individual's skill rating yet this game uses it as a measurement of the team's rating, which falls apart completely. Nothing you do as an individual, either getting all top stats or none at all, has any effect on your rating (only whether your team wins or loses the match)  and combined with a low player population, are the few reasons matchmaking is so messed up.

But I've written enough about it over the years, the devs don't care about PvP anymore.

Glicko2 is a 1v1 rating system,how can it work on multiple comparisons problem since gw2 pvp is a 5v5 game?

Also it is a rating system not a matchmaking system, chess use swiss-system matchmaking and glicko to rating.

Even if Glicko rating system work well , matches quality won't go up when we have a nono matchmaking system.

lol MM is fine

how will any MM work

when right now, this time, in game

there's a top5 duoq

and like 2 low plat 1 soloq player that keeps matching into top5 duoq, while all the teammates are like gold 2, obviously it's gonna be one sided

so they stopped playing, then the top5 duoq will be matching with gold players which is even more one sided.

there's literally no one to match make with, how will MM work LOL

Edited by felix.2386
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, felix.2386 said:

lol MM is fine

how will any MM work

when right now, this time, in game

there's a top5 duoq

and like 2 low plat 1 soloq player that keeps matching into top5 duoq, while all the teammates are like gold 2, obviously it's gonna be one sided

so they stopped playing, then the top5 duoq will be matching with gold players which is even more one sided.

there's literally no one to match make with, how will MM work LOL

maybe design a mm that works regardless of the population of the game.

10 minutes ago, Stand The Wall.6987 said:

design is design, not magician that magically make player appear

how do you design a money counter that count to 100 dollar, when you only have 1 dollar.

Edited by felix.2386
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, freakcoco.4287 said:

Glicko2 is a 1v1 rating system,how can it work on multiple comparisons problem since gw2 pvp is a 5v5 game?

Also it is a rating system not a matchmaking system, chess use swiss-system matchmaking and glicko to rating.

Even if Glicko rating system work well , matches quality won't go up when we have a nono matchmaking system.

Its well known how it works in this game but I'll explain it here. There's no individual rating in this game, its instead based upon the result of your wins and losses by averaging your team against the enemy team's rating, then adjusting all players on those teams accordingly.

This is why I said the game doesn't use it correctly. It treats entire teams as individual players and then the player's personal rating is determined by the combination of all games they win/lose, not anything they did in those games, only what their team's average rating and the average rating of the enemy team is.

This is why duo Q is used to manipulate ratings, because you can get a silver-level player queueing with a platinum-level player, and their average rating is gold, which changes how the scoring works.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

13 minutes ago, Stand The Wall.6987 said:

In theory the current system does work regardless of the population of the game... if you're willing to wait in half-hour queues until the matchmaker finds acceptible opponents of your level.

It used to work this way, but it was retooled several times due to complaints about excessive queue times.

(Also duo Q completely messes it up.)

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

23 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

In theory the current system does work regardless of the population of the game... if you're willing to wait in half-hour queues until the matchmaker finds acceptible opponents of your level.

It used to work this way, but it was retooled several times due to complaints about excessive queue times.

(Also duo Q completely messes it up.)

yea, system was more strict for a time and everybody waited 30 mins for one match lol

only 2 ways

either you wait 30 mins+ up to hours(the higher ranking you are) for one match

or you fight uneven fights because no one in your rating is queuing

make your pick

10 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Its well known how it works in this game but I'll explain it here. There's no individual rating in this game, its instead based upon the result of your wins and losses by averaging your team against the enemy team's rating, then adjusting all players on those teams accordingly.

This is why I said the game doesn't use it correctly. It treats entire teams as individual players and then the player's personal rating is determined by the combination of all games they win/lose, not anything they did in those games, only what their team's average rating and the average rating of the enemy team is.

This is why duo Q is used to manipulate ratings, because you can get a silver-level player queueing with a platinum-level player, and their average rating is gold, which changes how the scoring works.

I'm checking "pvp matchmaking algorithm" from wiki,  and that not just try to match average rating group, there have 5 components  for match roster (time/rating/number of games played/roster size/profession), and skill rating is one of the factors but the most important factors is time and profession,  all those factors make for classification stable, it make player classification in the same group( a lost team will group together again and again fight with win team...),  I don't know why but I think the matchmaking are worse then random,  change rating system will not fix matchmaking  coz that is not principal components for a match .

Edited by freakcoco.4287

7 hours ago, freakcoco.4287 said:

I'm checking "pvp matchmaking algorithm" from wiki,  and that not just try to match average rating group, there have 5 components  for match roster (time/rating/number of games played/roster size/profession), and skill rating is one of the factors but the most important factors is time and profession,  all those factors make for classification stable, it make player classification in the same group( a lost team will group together again and again fight with win team...),  I don't know why but I think the matchmaking are worse then random,  change rating system will not fix matchmaking  coz that is not principal components for a match .

You are correct.  Glicko2 works extremely well in team matchups.  GW2 just has a horrendous match maker which is why there are so many lopsided games.

1 hour ago, Goldilock.2584 said:

Mm has been at its worst this season. Every game is a stomp loss or win. I am guessing allot of pvpers are just taking a brake till the 4th.

There wont be any change on the 4th. Just 2 other EoD specs overpowered. Clown fiesta goes on.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 10:12 AM, Bazooka.3590 said:

For the thousandth time in 10 years...  (sigh)

With great respect.

Dear Anet, when will you fix the kitten match making?

In 80% of the time MM makes matches total unfair, both class and experience unbalanced with a result of 50-500.  One team killing the other on their spawn point and they cursing each other but the only one is to blame here is you (and I know you know that) 

It's total not fun to play on either side. It's annoying, frustrating and makes ppl super toxic so plz fix it asap. Thanks.  (over the years I've posted many solutions for that so plz read them if you really don't know what to do)

OH!   I thought this post was about Minion Master from the title....

On 10/2/2022 at 11:27 AM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I have exactly argued this.   You cannot reasonably expect to apply the algorithms they use to determine an indviduals skills to a result set that is based on the team you are on (which changes every game). 

But in the absence of an alternative I suppose its what they have to do.

I tried to improve it by suggesting things like..... if you take 4 top scores and are on the losing team... you should not lose rank.   But it falls on deaf ears.

• Like 1