Halloween 2022 [Merged]

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Anyone else find it strange the silence regarding Halloween this year? Last year they started it on the 5th which was a wonderful change giving us an extra week... this year, crickets... No announcement, nothing. I really hope they don't make the mistake they did in 2015 where they didn't start it until the 23rd... The community lost it's MIND over that...

• Like 5
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

No I don't find it strange at all. Announcements normally come on a Tuesday and a week ahead of the release they're announcing (except for big things like expansions) so even if it's starting on the 11th I wouldn't expect an announcement until tomorrow.

Last year there wasn't a lot going on except festivals, so it made sense to stretch them out so there was less 'down time' between releases. A lot of the world was also still under covid restrictions, meaning more people at home with time to kill which might also have been a factor.

This year we've had a more normal release schedule with festivals interspaced with LW releases (in this case the return of season 1). So I think Halloween will start on the 11th or the 18th and run until the 8th November. Most likely the 18th because that will exactly match 2016 and mirror 2017 - 2020.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

No I don't find it strange at all. Announcements normally come on a Tuesday and a week ahead of the release they're announcing (except for big things like expansions) so even if it's starting on the 11th I wouldn't expect an announcement until tomorrow.

Last year there wasn't a lot going on except festivals, so it made sense to stretch them out so there was less 'down time' between releases. A lot of the world was also still under covid restrictions, meaning more people at home with time to kill which might also have been a factor.

This year we've had a more normal release schedule with festivals interspaced with LW releases (in this case the return of season 1). So I think Halloween will start on the 11th or the 18th and run until the 8th November. Most likely the 18th because that will exactly match 2016 and mirror 2017 - 2020.

Except every year, Halloween had been announced more than two weeks out bc of it's popularity so people can plan for it...

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

Having it start on the 18th this year is AWFUL... That's a full two weeks after last year's October 5th start date.

Each year you started it earlier to the joy of the player base. It hasn't started this late since 2016...

Everyone wants MORE Mad King event. Why would you shorten it by TWO WEEKS this year?

Why the delay?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

2 weeks later than last year.... that's kittening awful...

Last year was not only two weeks longer but also a week earlier than usual due to the additional stuff happening around the time. Return to, WvW beta, and an EXP bonus event. Most events are only 3 weeks long, and Halloween has begun mid-October for every year except last year: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Halloween#Releases

Last year was a complete anomaly and extra.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

As said in the other thread, last year was an anomaly. It’s returned to its regular length and schedule. See link for its schedule which was always mid October. They’ve just resynced it so it falls on the appropriate Tuesday-Tuesday for three weeks whilst keeping Halloween within the last weekend.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Halloween

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

Having it start on the 18th this year is AWFUL... That's a full two weeks after last year's October 5th start date.

Each year you started it earlier to the joy of the player base. It hasn't started this late since 2016...

Everyone wants MORE Mad King event. Why would you shorten it by TWO WEEKS this year?

Why the delay?

I have to agree. Starting The Shadow of the Mad King event so late in the month is a real bummer. It would have been nice to see it started on the 4th (wishful thinking, I know) or even the 11th, but instead, they chose to wait until the third Tuesday of the month?? October is nearly over by then.

Last year the event ran from October 5 through November 9. The year before it started on the 13th. I had hoped they were gonna keep it near the first or second week of the month, but I guess not.

Just feeling really disappointed in the decision to delay AND shorten the event this year. The Shadow of the Mad King is an event that a lot of GW2 players look forward to every year..

• Like 14
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

It’s only shortened versus last year. It’s just a few days later than the previous year and finishes a few days later. I get why people want a longer festival, but their data prob shows 3 weeks is more than enough given players often tend to move on after a week or two. 

I’m not against it being longer, but it’s not the kick in the teeth being portrayed. It was just a one off last year

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Last year was not only two weeks longer but also a week earlier than usual due to the additional stuff happening around the time. Return to, WvW beta, and an EXP bonus event. Most events are only 3 weeks long, and Halloween has begun mid-October for every year except last year: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Halloween#Releases

Last year was a complete anomaly and extra.

Right sooooo why not start it the 11th and end it the 1st?  Who the kitten hell wants to do Halloween content after Halloween anyways?

Or... and go with me here... Run it from the 11th to the 8th. That way you cover idk the ACTUAL Halloween season and a little later for the late starters. And despite what some people think, Halloween is EASILY the most looked forward to festival in this game by the playerbase.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

47 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

It’s only shortened versus last year. It’s just a few days later than the previous year and finishes a few days later. I get why people want a longer festival, but their data prob shows 3 weeks is more than enough given players often tend to move on after a week or two. 

I’m not against it being longer, but it’s not the kick in the teeth being portrayed. It was just a one off last year

Halloween is EASILY the most looked forward to festival by the player base... by a long shot... The last time they started it so late in the month the player base nearly rioted. It's why every single year they let it trend earlier. First or second Tuesday of the month was the sweet spot. Pushing to the third week is just an absolute trash decision and honestly sucks a lot of the fun out of GW2 Halloween...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

Halloween is EASILY the most looked forward to festival by the player base... by a long shot... The last time they started it so late in the month the player base nearly rioted. It's why every single year they let it trend earlier. First or second Tuesday of the month was the sweet spot. Pushing to the third week is just an absolute trash decision and honestly sucks a lot of the fun out of GW2 Halloween...

That is a massive over reaction. The player base was not close to riot mode, it was just a few disgruntled forum users (possibly even me ironically).

Halloween is certainly one of the most looked forward to events (I prefer Wintersday, although Halloween is close behind), but the return to schedule is not that big a deal and absolutely not a “trash decision”.

Frankly I’m much happier with 18th - 8th than 11th - 1st. The reason it slipped earlier prior to 2021 is calendar based as things need to sync Tuesday-Tuesday.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

What’s the difference if it starts on the second or third Tuesday? I think you are overreacting a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

It's more time pre HAlloween as opposed to POST HAlloween... bc that is when everyone is celebrating HAlloween is during the leadup...

Where I live Halloween is not being celebrated. So I don’t really care.
But I actually think it’s good that it starts on the 18th. Otherwise it would collide with the WvW beta weekend. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, yoni.7015 said:

Where I live Halloween is not being celebrated. So I don’t really care.
But I actually think it’s good that it starts on the 18th. Otherwise it would collide with the WvW beta weekend. 

Well, in the states, it's the second largest retail holiday behind Christmas. People in USA go all out for it and I am guessing most of the commenters on this thread aren't from the states. I lived overseas for 5 years and I know the world doesn't view Halloween the way the US does. I just think GW2 is missing out on a lot of potential gem sales starting so late.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

22 minutes ago, Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

Well, in the states, it's the second largest retail holiday behind Christmas. People in USA go all out for it and I am guessing most of the commenters on this thread aren't from the states. I lived overseas for 5 years and I know the world doesn't view Halloween the way the US does. I just think GW2 is missing out on a lot of potential gem sales starting so late.

Yeah, well not everyone lives in the USA. 
I don’t think starting the festival on the 18th instead of the 11th will have a big impact on gem sales. It is still two weeks before Halloween. 
If it started one week earlier it would collide with the WvW beta weekend. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2