Can anyone come up with additional logical reasoning for the Scourge nerfs?

Kayowin.9217

I mean, I can understand how the boon ballers were complaining about Scourge punishments being a detriment to their ability to sustain in enemy objectives and farm bags for hours but there must be another reason for it?   

Maybe because Trail of Anguish was obviously way, way, too over the top compared to other stills in this game and needed a target cap nerf.   I mean, having it centered at the Scourge is such a benefit vs. those other "line" type skills that can be safely casted at 1200 range.

Those other punishment skills though, taking away that cripple and adding another stack of torment...   You would think Anet wants Scourge to run condi to feed those boon ballers even more now....

Well, I cant think of any other reasons.   Please educate me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Waiting to see how the final adjustments are applied and will go from there. Running with 4 Necro toons so will have to review each one after notes are posted. 

I tried my tried and true scourge carapace coms build today post patch and its DOA.  Time to find another solution or become a condi crapper.   

I don't even know why I even play this game anymore, they nerf my two main classes practically every patch while the clown specs still get to run rampant. There was no reason to nerf null field or trail of anguish, like do people not even know how to reverse W out of fields? If you sit in a deadly field you DESERVE to get punished! 🙄

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

I don't even know why I even play this game anymore, they nerf my two main classes practically every patch while the clown specs still get to run rampant. There was no reason to nerf null field or trail of anguish, like do people not even know how to reverse W out of fields? If you sit in a deadly field you DESERVE to get punished! 🙄

Scrappers got obliterated and firebrands got slapped pretty hard, though will still be taken.

Mesmers got a huge buff with distortion coming back, the only nerf was to the boon strip.

I guess your statement is true if what you consider playing the game is staring at the horrible buff/debuff UI?

Trail was a terrible feel bad skill that made trying to approach any large group kitten because they'd spawn an untouchable strip ball underneath them. And hey, for as much as you complain about boonballs the fact blobs just lost a no target cap stab+swiftness applicator is strangely absent.

The null field nerf is kinda feel bad though, but technically off topic.

• Like 1

I’m often the only chrono in my guild. No one plays chrono. And they nerf chrono patch after patch. So I feel your pain.

At least trail of anguish is ten targets. I’m jealous 

For chrono, Tides of Time was reduced to 5 targets. When it had no target cap for… 6 years?

Everyone is entitled to a necro kill. It's just a known fact that everyone gets to kill a set amount of necros. In any big fight the winning side will typically will easily plunder the remaining necros as bags because they have almost no stability or invuls, as well as poor mobility.

Their only passive defensive is being a high hp punching bag which is admittingly strong and obnoxious in 1v1 or 1v2s which is why people complain about core necro/harbie for good reason but once numbers go up (and they always do in wvw) it just becomes focus/cc necro.

It's just been my observation that necro players I know when chased outnumbered will often turn around and go down in some blaze of glory while other classes already ran away before the start of the fight and get very mad if they get caught and they flame their 4 expendable supports for failing them. Oh wait, that's just small scale in  a nutshell.

The only real reason necro exists in larger scale is because of guardians. This is because Guardian (especially Firebrand) essentially negates all of necro's weaknesses and thus have been a duo since the dawn of WvW.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 12:45 AM, Kayowin.9217 said:

I mean, I can understand how the boon ballers were complaining about Scourge punishments being a detriment to their ability to sustain in enemy objectives and farm bags for hours but there must be another reason for it?   

Maybe because Trail of Anguish was obviously way, way, too over the top compared to other stills in this game and needed a target cap nerf.   I mean, having it centered at the Scourge is such a benefit vs. those other "line" type skills that can be safely casted at 1200 range.

Those other punishment skills though, taking away that cripple and adding another stack of torment...   You would think Anet wants Scourge to run condi to feed those boon ballers even more now....

Well, I cant think of any other reasons.   Please educate me!

As a person who use to main scourge for years, i agree with what u say.

But unfortunately the sad fact is that it is quite obvious that anet prefers the boon baller fiesta's. I mean just look at the amount of strips they have taken of necro in last few years. A perfect example of this is 'feast of corruption/devouring darkness' this little beauty use to convert 3 boons, then they nerfed it, 2 boons. But that was still OP, 1 boon. 'Corrupt boon' 4 boons, now 2 boons. 'Spiteful spirit' could do 4 boons in total, now 2. 'Nefarious favor' 2 boons, now 1. There are probably more, but u get the picture. And after all this, what do they do? Add boon duration to celestial gear. So yeah, it's a boon ballers paradise. And i dont see that changing anytime soon. Specially not after this patch.

• Like 2

Reasons for it:

1. Scrapper cleanse got heavily nerfed thus there are less cleanses so less conditions makes sense

2. It maybe makes condition scourge viable?

3. Constant cripple spam made superspeed spam a must to keep up. This also opens up future where massive superspeed upkeep is removed.

4. It opens up more comp variety

5. You could argue the game is more skilled now since it condition cleanse was very unreliable. In the past you only cleansed conditions that mattered (immob, 3+ burn, chill, weakness), now you just go way overboard with available cleanse.

And that seems like lot of torment stacks, it wasn't necessarily nerf. And Trail of Anguish part was obviously hotfix since you can't have 10+ scourge in a blobfight hit infinite targets from each side.

Edited by Riba.3271