Can we get a race change tonic?

6 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Wouldn't really scratch the race change itch that people have (no customization), but a set of racial combat tonics that have random NPC-like transforms could be fun. We already have variety dog, chicken, bear, and cat tonics, why not Charr, Sylvari, Norn, etc.?

I wonder why they aren't doing it, could he pretty profitable 

46 minutes ago, Amaranthe.3578 said:

I wonder why they aren't doing it, could he pretty profitable 

Well it could be but it also might not be. How many people would buy tonics that give you a standardized look of another race that goes away after zoning and keep you from using your mounts? My gut feeling says not that many.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Amaranthe.3578 said:

It can give random features each transformation for all I care

People would first complain that this isn't good enough and that they just want the full race change, and then there would absolutely be a demand that players could customize the features when using the tonic

If anything, my first thought is the biggest hold up is likely just coding in how the personal story/player home/etc would respond.

At least from a personal standpoint, if its something that ever does get considered in the future to allow race changes, I think it'd be perfectly valid to simply reset the core story progress entirely if that's the simplest method of keeping things in line. I'd assume it'd also need to let you go through the character creation process in full again to pick backstory and all that. Don't really see an issue there as the only thing that can really be "farmed" is the keys from certain story steps, and people already do that, just with new characters. That's also now tied to a time gate so it shouldn't be an issue at this point.

Edited by flaccidbagel.2457

16 minutes ago, flaccidbagel.2457 said:

If anything, my first thought is the biggest hold up is likely just coding in how the personal story/player home/etc would respond.

At least from a personal standpoint, if its something that ever does get considered in the future to allow race changes, I think it'd be perfectly valid to simply reset the core story progress entirely if that's the simplest method of keeping things in line. I'd assume it'd also need to let you go through the character creation process in full again to pick backstory and all that. Don't really see an issue there as the only thing that can really be "farmed" is the keys from certain story steps, and people already do that, just with new characters. That's also now tied to a time gate so it shouldn't be an issue at this point.

And how is this different to just deleting and remaking a charcter something you can do now anyway?

If your remaking the personal story choices your not going to keep birthday or map completion etc anyway.

One use for this I think of is jump puzzles, for those who play a gigantic character normally. That is, assuming tonics change the model collision detection box, for lack of more precise terminology (idk if they do... in fact, now I think about it, idk if the races actually have different sizes in this way or if it's just the psychological/visual factor of it that makes asura easier to use in JPs).

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

One use for this I think of is jump puzzles, for those who play a gigantic character normally. That is, assuming tonics change the model collision detection box, for lack of more precise terminology (idk if they do... in fact, now I think about it, idk if the races actually have different sizes in this way or if it's just the psychological/visual factor of it that makes asura easier to use in JPs).

They dont but charr hunched back make it seem they should land later then they do.

17 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

And how is this different to just deleting and remaking a charcter something you can do now anyway?

If your remaking the personal story choices your not going to keep birthday or map completion etc anyway.

I could be wrong, but at least from how I see it, the birthday rewards and map completion have zero ties to the character race, so there's no need or reason to reset those. There may be other character related reasons one may not wish to fully remake, such as character bound upgrades like bag slots or build slots.

The personal story has different path depending on race, so it'd be reasonable to not try to dump a charr into a human's story, as there would be no lines written for it and etc. Or they could just let you pick the traits during character creation as part of the swap, and if you're in the middle of a quest step that involved a character choice, just pick option one for you. I figure the first option of resetting quest progress not only offers the most options to the player, but is likely easier to code as well, though I doubt we'd see it implemented.

Just my two cents.