Do Turrets need to be reworked?

SleepyBat.9034

One thing that might be interesting is if they were a bit bigger, and were physical objects, like the DH longbow 5, or line of warding.

You could tactically drop them behind or to the side of opponents to limit their movement and they wouldn't be able to just walk or dodge through them as if they weren't there.

• Like 2

Like ranger spirits, turrets are mostly used in support builds, however they're inferior at this task than just medkit alone. I think they could use a rework to be more similar to warrior banners, where you strategically place a turret, it gives the usual boons, reflect, cleanse, overloads for huge CC and damage then destroys itself for finishers.

They're weak because they're permanent, if we made them short-lived the effects could be much stronger. This would also stop farming builds (which is another reason they're weak).

Like imagine you summon a rocket turret and it does a 20k hit like Jade Mortar. Its just one hit but the very high damage lets you use it seriously as a utility, for strategic deployment during battle at the right time, rather than being something you just set up for low damage to be destroyed in 5sec anyway.

In fact I think looking at Mech utilities as a sign of what turrets could do is a good start.

Another suggestion players have made is to just attach turrets to the Engineer, making them immune to damage and just auto-firing from the Engi all the time. I don't think this is a good approach, as it creates more passive gameplay, but its another possible rework idea at least.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

My issue with most of the turrets is that they don't bring anything to the table that engineer doesn't already have. Kits bring more damage, gadgets have more cc, cleansing isn't need, nor healing/boons. The only thing I can think of would be like boonrip even though we do have landmine.

They bring a six second tool belt cooldown baby 🙂

The other thing about them is the treated ability to have them generate reflects.  I've seen some engi's use that to counter projectile spam.  Generally turrets are garbage aside from supply crate and some fringe use of healing turret, and the six second tool belt.  <== PvP wise

Edited by shion.2084

22 hours ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

My issue with most of the turrets is that they don't bring anything to the table that engineer doesn't already have. Kits bring more damage, gadgets have more cc, cleansing isn't need, nor healing/boons. The only thing I can think of would be like boonrip even though we do have landmine.

All turrets need is a big increase in health and/or defense.

They're stationary, so making them fragile when they're supposed to be items that are out in play in one spot to do X or Y is going against the whole concept of a stationary summon.

1 minute ago, Ghos.1326 said:

All turrets need is a big increase in health and/or defense.

They're stationary, so making them fragile when they're supposed to be items that are out in play in one spot to do X or Y is going against the whole concept of a stationary summon.

Sorry, I lied. They should also get their overcharge abilities back in general instead of only on deployment. Just tie the overcharge abilities to a cooldown, higher or lower depending on the ability.

I've already suggested that turret should have a powerfull effect that last a moment and my stance didnt change. If anything, with the recent changes, it makes me think that's arguably what Anet would most likely do to rework turret.

The only turrets that are viable are healing turret and rifle turret. The rest dont really offer something unique.

14 minutes ago, Stalima.5490 said:

If they do rework them then they should make them into wells as they more or less embody what an engineer well should be.

The scrapper can just have minions for their gyros.

I prefer to keep gyros as wells and make turrets into spirit weapons.

Yes, they do need to be reworked. There have been probably over 100 threads suggesting ideas. 

On 10/27/2022 at 1:32 PM, coro.3176 said:

One thing that might be interesting is if they were a bit bigger, and were physical objects, like the DH longbow 5, or line of warding.

You could tactically drop them behind or to the side of opponents to limit their movement and they wouldn't be able to just walk or dodge through them as if they weren't there.

I like this. They are best used tactically as an extension of the engineer itself, being able to be in two places at once so to speak.