Kaineng City is so beautifully crafted and yet...

Dib.4612

I just explored Kaineng City for the second time, the reason being the collection Quietus.

It feels like a massive amount of work went into crafting this city and it shows, yet... What do we do there?
The meta event I have to say is fairly basic and many of the interesting buildings and places like the library really don't serve a purpose.
The only reason I personally come there is to get Hero Points. What am I missing here? Or is this a complete oversight in Guild Wars 2's design? Making a beautiful map just to collect POIs and then never look back?
Dynamic events on their own aren't a reason to come to a map either, they have to be fun and rewarding. Draw us into this city, into this world!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

It’s been a regular cited complaint. Kaineng is ripe for an abundance of content from crime busting bounties, griffon races, dockside events, adventures, mini dungeons (sewers) and many activities stretching across all levels. What is there is fine, but there is nowhere near enough of it.

I do like it as a map, but it’s lacking and the potential is huge. This should have been their big signature map players would return to over and over for months/years like Verdant Brink and Auric did for HoT.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

What I find especially silly is theres a bunch of small dynamic events scattered across kaineng, that are very easy to miss because its hardly signaled by the map/ui, even if you're close as they're happening. Those are also quick and easy to solo, and have long respawns, so many people don't even know they exist. On EoD release, I got to Kaineng very early, and did a random event involving a reception by a roof that's interupted by bandits or jademech going rogue (I forgot which). Haven't seen it since - although I play way less since july.

Kaineng already is fairly empty, but the average player missing those small events and only seeing meta / leviathan makes that impression even worse

Edited by Taclism.2406
  • Like 4

sorry but for me all EoD maps are as generic as it gets.
Seitung Province is just a generic Korean game, New Kaineng City is just a generic futurist game, The Echovald Wilds is a generic -kinda old school- fantasy game and Dragon's End is just a plain and boring map with no soul at all.
are they beautiful? Yes (except Dragon's End). Are they masterfully crafted? Sure (except Dragon's End). Are they worth exploring, going back and spending time there? Hell no.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I personally think it's golden joystick worthy. I mean the amount of sheer content alone to do in that large busy hustling and bustling city is unrivaled. Just outstanding....magnificent....bravo Anet......Brah-voh! 

Just quality....unmatched. So much content. Forget the alliance update, we got all the content we needed. As a person who hates sunlight but loves fishing they are letting me do something I've only ever dreamed about attempting IRL. And those boats....Love em! The skimmer creeper never needs to be used again! Oh oh and turtle race is master race. 

Should get last year's golden joystick as well!!!!

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

To me the city design looks thrown together, rushed, and poorly thought through. It looks like a city that couldnt function and would never be built by humans who put more than a passing moment of thought into its design. 

This. If you look around at the buildings, there's so much clipping going on it might as well be a city for hairdressers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

To me the city design looks thrown together, rushed, and poorly thought through. It looks like a city that couldnt function and would never be built by humans who put more than a passing moment of thought into its design. 

Which fits the narcissistic character who designed it. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smurfiness.3714 said:

It's actually a head bashing experience trying to reach the top levels unless you know where the few stairs going up are. There's no indications on the map for their locations.

not so sure, option 1play as intended explore, option 2 fly, option 3 use bot travel?  For me they probably just ran out of over time to flesh out the dynamic content - hopefully that will be addressed over time.

6 hours ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

For me they probably just ran out of over time to flesh out the dynamic content - hopefully that will be addressed over time.

Based on pash experiences, that is extremely unlikely. The cases of adding a new stuff to old maps are rare, and they always were about adding some stuff tied to something else completely. Not about actually making maps feel more alive or something.

They did a map revamp exactly once in the history, with HoT. This was a major event, that happened only because of a massively negative community reaction to those maps. And even then, the revamps was just about shifting rewards around. It didn't actually add anything new to those maps.

As such, the best the EoD maps can ever hope for is some balance and reward tweaks. Maybe some fixes to some long-standing bugs with some events/collections too. Kaineng will still remain sterile, empty and unfinished, though.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2