Scepter

Eddbopkins.2630

21 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

I think its better to look at by class what you see in spvp in the mid ranges of player skill is a far better way to work out what unbalanced or not. BUT spvp is the smallest part of gw2 dont let that game type alone control the pvp balancing. WvW balancing is way more important and scpter even hammer in wvw are the highest risk weapons and often do less dps then say an staff or even an dagger/sword for the ele class.

Anet can and does balance WvW and PvP seperatedly if needed. So "hammer is a high risk weapon in WvW" is absolutely pointless. They can nerf it for PvP without touching it's WvW performance.

Also you shouldn't balance around an average skill level. It should be balanced for multiple skill levels, including the pros. Watching PvP tournaments becomes really stall and boring if it's always the same elite specs getting played there.

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Anet can and does balance WvW and PvP seperatedly if needed. So "hammer is a high risk weapon in WvW" is absolutely pointless. They can nerf it for PvP without touching it's WvW performance.

Also you shouldn't balance around an average skill level. It should be balanced for multiple skill levels, including the pros. Watching PvP tournaments becomes really stall and boring if it's always the same elite specs getting played there.

To be fair, knowing anet, they will nerf it for pvp or PvE reasons but also extend the nerf into WvW just because....well, just because they can and historically don't really like ele players

I wonder when meteor shower will do damage again in WvW

Maybe after alliances in 2030

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

No real ele player trust anet to ever separated the game types right or to even make sure all of the ele skills work.

Pros. balancing is only for view on twitch its mostly a waist of time for spvp as there is no real e-sports with gw2.

There are a lot of things that should simply not be in spvp invariability take 0 dmg and full blocks that are non channeled. But we have them and a split should have these spvp effects not happen. Full invariability should just be channeled blocks, 0 dmg effects should be barriers and non channeled blocks aigls should just be a dmg -% for one hit in spvp. If you would do that the game type would change a lot and more then likely become far more balanced but anet dose not seem able to make such splits so we must treat the ideal of skill splits as very min and watch what we wish for in balancing in one game type only as it will more then likely effect other game types.

Edited by Jski.6180
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EyzKold.8247 said:

Ele is not op and can be killed. It really is a learn to play issue.  The only thing the devs need to look at is Dragon’s Tooth.  Maybe replace it with something like a dragon banner skill…dragon’s breath. Make it an aoe circle or something.  

From the creators of "it's only wrong when Ele does it" it comes the "is just a learn to play issue".

On 1/13/2023 at 3:13 AM, ZolracAtrox.2908 said:

From the creators of "it's only wrong when Ele does it" it comes the "is just a learn to play issue".

In all fairness most people really are just unfamiliar with how some of the changes work now, that's been the case for many other classes that are rough to play against until you get the feel of it. 

People haven't seen scepter as much of a threat for a while now. It will happen more often as they continue to retweak old weapons of various classes.

Edited by Serephen.3420
Typo

Scepter simply contains alot of problematic features considering the balance perspective. It has one of the highest burst potentials ingame and alot of access to instant bursts aswell. The main damage sources are all ranged, fast cast, no projectile damage and no aoe fields. On top of that its quite hard to determine what element is being used due to lack of visual queues and fast swapping. 

At the same time i wouldn't call the average roamer/pvp ele OP atm, yet at the same time they seem to dominate in the higher pvp rankings/roamer encounters. They can either accept the current status or give it the same treatment as PvE cata (since i highly doubt they will do another big scepter overhaul). I really hope they will keep the scepter atleast a viable weapon for the average pug, but i fear it will soon be hit by the nerfhammer reducing its powerlevel to only make it viable for the top 5% players once again. 

14 hours ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

om not sure 300 dps on anything moving is 'stupid good'

The rate of fire is what makes it a bit too good. You can easily maintain 4-5 stacks of burning just auto attacking. On my celestial build I usually tic away for 1.5k burns I'm addition to the initial hit. Part of what makes it so oppressive is the double burn application, even if you cleanse it there is virtually no down time before you're back at 2 stacks ticking away 900~ then 4 and back to 1.5~. and that's all without quickness from Catalyst which can get up to 7-8 stacks just by pressing 1. it makes it really easy to snowball, especially on low HP targets. IMO it either needs to lose the second burn (increase the initial to compensate) which can give more breathing room or become an auto attack chain like most of the other condi inflicting AAs.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295

13 hours ago, Junkpile.7439 said:

Scepter is actually kind of weak weapon still. Burst potential is highly overrated. Weaver dual attack, off hand focus and elite specs are real problems.

Which dual attack is so problematic? Lmao.

18 hours ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

om not sure 300 dps on anything moving is 'stupid good'

It's by far the best scepter autoattack. No travel time, super quick, easy to stack burning even if you're not on a condi spec.

14 hours ago, the krytan assassin.9235 said:

Scepter simply contains alot of problematic features considering the balance perspective. It has one of the highest burst potentials ingame ...

Scepter is manageable and dies to a lot of specs that overwhelm it. The problem is catalyst. Simplifies fresh air gameplay down to 10% while being so much more effective.

7 hours ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

The rate of fire is what makes it a bit too good. You can easily maintain 4-5 stacks of burning just auto attacking. On my celestial build I usually tic away for 1.5k burns I'm addition to the initial hit. Part of what makes it so oppressive is the double burn application, even if you cleanse it there is virtually no down time before you're back at 2 stacks ticking away 900~ then 4 and back to 1.5~. and that's all without quickness from Catalyst which can get up to 7-8 stacks just by pressing 1. it makes it really easy to snowball, especially on low HP targets. IMO it either needs to lose the second burn (increase the initial to compensate) which can give more breathing room or become an auto attack chain like most of the other condi inflicting AAs.

you don't apply double burn in PVP unless the other guy isnt moving though?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

you don't apply double burn in PVP unless the other guy isnt moving though?

Which is easiest enough to accomplish, especially in team fights. But even without the secondary burn, the instant, fast applied burn can snowball fast since its instantaneous and not a projectile with a travel time or auto attack chain with a ramp up. I've won fights with players at roughly 60% hp~ just sitting in fire and auto attacking since they will almost always have 3-4 stacks of burning even after using their multiple cleanses. And its now currently my go too for any fight where I outnumber the enemy, just hop into Fire an auto attack to add a nice, extremely low-effort 1000~ burn damage as they run away under pressure from others lol... kinda busted for an AA if you ask me.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I am a bit lost why ppl cant allow eles to have good auto attks i say make water 1 and earth 1 on scepter have stronger effects even if its just piercing. Air 1 should tick faster at the same speed as mez GS 1. If the ele is doing a auto attk or 1 skill it is NOT doing any thing else as they are faster skill cast that must be used over and over to make up for the lost of the bigger skill in the eles wepon kit. As an skill they should have value equile to the lost of not swapping atument and not using other skills.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2