Nice scepter changes, just need staff now.

SoulGuardian.6203

First of all,

I'd like to thank A Net for the marvellous scepter changes.

Now, this is what I'm talking about. Awesome job people. Keep em coming.

The fire 1 animation. So cool.

Skill changes. Maginidicent.

Loving the homing Dragon Tooth... and everything else.

Now we just need those staff changes we requested a few weeks ago too please.

Such as Eruption being one of them that needs to start causing damage from the second is cast, plus needs to inflict cripple.

The staff 2 ice spike drop needs to inflict chill from the second is cast and the spike to drop faster.

Lava font to inflict cripple and damage from the instance is cast.

I'll link the thread here, if I can find it.

Offtopic.

Cool Deadeye changes too.

👍

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

They could start by speeding up or increasing auto DPS on air attunement, for a skill that does nothing other than damage it is underwhelming especially since the bounce has less damage (i.e. low cleave potential).

However, I feel as though staff is meant as the ranged support weapon. 

Eruption causing instant damage would actually gut its potential for combos with water and fire fields.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Eruption causing instant damage would actually gut its potential for combos with water and fire fields.

If it was instant, I think  swapping the order of placement would probably solves this issue, cast the field first and then eruption next. Staff has 3 Blast finishers and two of them are placed in Earth Attunement anyway, it would just make it more reliable

I'm all in favor of increasing casting/activation speed of staff skills heh

Tbh the changes they did to staff were nice already, but with those extra tweaks it would be perfect

Edited by AzuritaBlues.3206
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Awesome changes? XD

I'll go 1by1 rating it from 1 to 10

Fire

-Dragons tooth; 1 That's an awfull change. It kills combo procs and in pvp makes it too easy to evade(it was already easy to dodge this but it could be used as a zoning skill to create space between you and the enemy). It was already a good skill no change needed

-Phoenix; 1 This skill is probably the best of scepter. It was already good and the change didn't affect anything but doing the same on a different way

Water

-Shaterstone; This will work better on pvp/wvw where chilling is more impactfull. More burst but losing vulnerability stacks will hurt specially on pve. This skill didnt need a change at all maybe pump up its numbers

-Water trident; 1 The worst change by far of scepter skills, they improved its damage and the self heal a bit. What if we get blinded or they block the attack, simple we lose our damage and our heal and we also need to be facing the target to cast it.. And for this update we lost the flexibility of being able to heal any ally on demand and we also lost sinegy with traits like cleansing water. This skill didnt need a change at all and was the best defensive tool of scepter.

Air

-1 Both skills got buffed a bit, they keep doing almost the same, so the change is meaningless and those were the ones that need a hard rework (both skills are awfull and the only good thing of them is that you can cast it during an overload cause they havent cast time)

Earth

-Rock Barrier; 8 The addition of barrier+resistance is a really good combo, i wouldn't bother if tthey pump up the barrier numbers a bit.

-Dust Devil; 6 Decent defensive skill specially on pvp/wvw but not that much of a change.

So the average rate from my point of view is a 3 out of 10

Conclusion: Dagger will remain the best option specially for pvp/wvw. Good aproach of the earth atunment skills/Fire downgraded/Water huge nerf/Air meaningless changes

Edited by Ruisenior.6342
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 1

You ever even used water trident before? It didn't heal at all before so now it actually do something. All scepter/dagger build healing skills are kind of useless healing skills, because you spam all of them and you get maybe 4k hp back. That is one ranger long bow auto attack hit.

Edited by Junkpile.7439
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Ruisenior.6342 said:

Awesome changes? XD

I'll go 1by1 rating it from 1 to 10

Fire

-Dragons tooth; 1 That's an awfull change. It kills combo procs and in pvp makes it too easy to evade(it was already easy to dodge this but it could be used as a zoning skill to create space between you and the enemy). It was already a good skill no change needed

-Phoenix; 1 This skill is probably the best of scepter. It was already good and the change didn't affect anything but doing the same on a different way

Water

-Shaterstone; This will work better on pvp/wvw where chilling is more impactfull. More burst but losing vulnerability stacks will hurt specially on pve. This skill didnt need a change at all maybe pump up its numbers

-Water trident; 1 The worst change by far of scepter skills, they improved its damage and the self heal a bit. What if we get blinded or they block the attack, simple we lose our damage and our heal and we also need to be facing the target to cast it.. And for this update we lost the flexibility of being able to heal any ally on demand and we also lost sinegy with traits like cleansing water. This skill didnt need a change at all and was the best defensive tool of scepter.

Air

-1 Both skills got buffed a bit, they keep doing almost the same, so the change is meaningless and those were the ones that need a hard rework (both skills are awfull and the only good thing of them is that you can cast it during an overload cause they havent cast time)

Earth

-Rock Barrier; 8 The addition of barrier+resistance is a really good combo, i wouldn't bother if tthey pump up the barrier numbers a bit.

-Dust Devil; 6 Decent defensive skill specially on pvp/wvw but not that much of a change.

So the average rate from my point of view is a 3 out of 10

Conclusion: Dagger will remain the best option specially for pvp/wvw. Good aproach of the earth atunment skills/Fire downgraded/Water huge nerf/Air meaningless changes

I mean, you could just walk away from dragon's tooth AoE before, now you HAVE to dodge it. If you want to combo it for the blast, just cast it without a target (sure the combo field should be on your feet, but to get the blast effects you should be near the field anyway). And in PvE you can always place the combo field in your targets foot, since Mobs are much more predictable moviment wise.

Phoenix stayed the same in PvE, but it was buffed in PvP.

Shatterstone lost it's Vuln, but it was given to Air #2. The chill on cast is amazing, and two hits break Aegis and makes it easier to generate energy to Cata.

Air skills being AoE is a HUGE change. Instantaneous cast AoE  Vuln + Blind + Weakness with these last two having 2 ammo is just chef kiss, so much value packed in such low cooldown skills.

The only thing I kinda agree with you is about the lost support of trident, but I'm loving the damage coefficients and the ammo tho

Scepter is competitive with dagger now in PvP and WvW. It already had more DPS in PvE, it's just better now, play with it a little more and you'll see 😄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

"Flame Wheel, Icy Coil, Crescent Wind, Rocky Loop: These skills now strike enemies once per second instead of using a projectile."

LITERALLY do this for meteor shower, remove that 10% damage reduction per hit disaster. most of the problems with staff elementalist come from that awful decision.

besides that i suppose earth and water 2 could get the same treatment shatterstone/dragons tooth got. make em faster

Edited by crosknight.3041
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, crosknight.3041 said:

"Flame Wheel, Icy Coil, Crescent Wind, Rocky Loop: These skills now strike enemies once per second instead of using a projectile."

LITERALLY do this for meteor shower, remove that 10% damage reduction per hit disaster. most of the problems with staff elementalist come from that awful decision.

besides that i suppose earth and water 2 could get the same treatment shatterstone/dragons tooth got. make em faster

Once per second without RNG won't happen because meteor is ranged and the hammer orbs are melee range or so.

However, meteor has a huge animation, self root, and a massive cast time. It deserves to be more impactful since it only does damage.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Once per second without RNG won't happen because meteor is ranged and the hammer orbs are melee range or so.

However, meteor has a huge animation, self root, and a massive cast time. It deserves to be more impactful since it only does damage.

It could, theoretically, have a functionality similar to Dragon's Tooth - every second, enemies within the area have a meteor appear that tries to land on them, but there is an opportunity to dodge or otherwise mitigate it before it hits.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2022 at 9:26 AM, Infusion.7149 said:

I would settle for a slight adjustment to the Eruption cast animation. For some reason there seems to be somewhat of an aftercast to it, that makes you cancel Eruption by accident if you cast something else whilst "channeling" Eruption. happens every now and then but its made me be extra careful with that ability...

• Like 1

guys and ghouls, I have a terrible idea on how to fix meteor shower. When we channel it, we can move the cursor shifting its position while its going off. Just a slow moving aoe. It would obviously be limited in speed and would move around slowly, but it would provide slight repositioning in case the thing you want to hit steps out of its range a couple feet, or meters for the rest of the world. People could still outrun its movement when trying to do so, but they might take a couple more hits.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, ScottBroChill.3254 said:

guys and ghouls, I have a terrible idea on how to fix meteor shower. When we channel it, we can move the cursor shifting its position while its going off. Just a slow moving aoe. It would obviously be limited in speed and would move around slowly, but it would provide slight repositioning in case the thing you want to hit steps out of its range a couple feet, or meters for the rest of the world. People could still outrun its movement when trying to do so, but they might take a couple more hits.

If you could move while using it that would be far better QoL.
Having the AoE move is unlike anything ingame other than PBAOE scrapper wells.

Edited by Infusion.7149

Staff has been left behind by the modern game. Most skills are weak or have poor functionality.

Fire

1 - Slow moving projectile misses most of the time. It needs to have at least limited tracking

2 - Revert the damage nerf

3 - Fine

4 - A pretty lacking skill. It could have an AoE explosion at the start of the dodge, or a second stage where it gives you a high damage cone of fire similar to fire grab to punish anyone who immediately follows your retreat, especially if they walk through your fire trail. 

5 - Just give up on this busted skill design. It was weak against small targets, and strong against large targets. They made it crap against both. Make it a normal pulsing AoE that hits 10 targets and procs full damage every 2 seconds. 

Air 

1- fine - 100% tracking is strong

2 - fine

3 - should be a launch instead of just a push

4 - should be super speed, not just swiftness

5 - fine

Water

1 - fine

2 - could fall faster

3 - fine

4 - should immobilize and chill for 4 seconds

5 - Removing 3 conditions over 6 seconds is crap. Should pulse every second instead of every 3. 

Eath

1 - fine

2 - needs to explode faster

3 - a projectile hate aura (less than 10% of all enemy attacks), on a long cooldown is garbage. It needs more defenses, like barrier, protection and/or stability. 

4 - fine

5 - Immobilize should be 4 seconds. Staff ele can't do anything in 2 seconds.

Next up, focus. 

• Like 6

On 12/4/2022 at 4:18 AM, Caffynated.5713 said:

Staff has been left behind by the modern game. Most skills are weak or have poor functionality.

Fire

1 - Slow moving projectile misses most of the time. It needs to have at least limited tracking

2 - Revert the damage nerf

3 - Fine

4 - A pretty lacking skill. It could have an AoE explosion at the start of the dodge, or a second stage where it gives you a high damage cone of fire similar to fire grab to punish anyone who immediately follows your retreat, especially if they walk through your fire trail. 

5 - Just give up on this busted skill design. It was weak against small targets, and strong against large targets. They made it crap against both. Make it a normal pulsing AoE that hits 10 targets and procs full damage every 2 seconds. 

Air 

1- fine - 100% tracking is strong

2 - fine

3 - should be a launch instead of just a push

4 - should be super speed, not just swiftness

5 - fine

Water

1 - fine

2 - could fall faster

3 - fine

4 - should immobilize and chill for 4 seconds

5 - Removing 3 conditions over 6 seconds is crap. Should pulse every second instead of every 3. 

Eath

1 - fine

2 - needs to explode faster

3 - a projectile hate aura (less than 10% of all enemy attacks), on a long cooldown is garbage. It needs more defenses, like barrier, protection and/or stability. 

4 - fine

5 - Immobilize should be 4 seconds. Staff ele can't do anything in 2 seconds.

Next up, focus. 

Very good analysis. 

100%

• Like 1

No! poor new players are getting smashed by 3k meteors from a class that is mostly one shoted by all rangers/ theives specs, necro's axe, dragon hunters, catalysts, heralds, etc😞

OMG, I've got an idea. Nerf it againt, and don't forget to nerf Renegade, Revenant, Daredevil, Core Engi, Scrapper, Core Ele, Scourge and Reaper by the way. (Don't forget to buff a random skill power coeficent 0.68 to 0.75, so they can't say that we have them forgotten).

Edited by ZolracAtrox.2908
I forgot )
  • Haha 2