What about yours? 🙂 

Edited by TheLadyOfTheRings.9148
Editing to add info + I forgot the characters I have on my secondary account
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

What's the family name? Is it the same as the account name? 🙂 

Yes, all are surname + Gorani (which breaks being true to lore because e.g. Asuras only have one name and Charr have their warband name, which itself has two parts like Brim+Stone). But no matter who I play, all characters have a recognizable component to someone in my guild or on my WvW server)

• Like 2

All of my character name adhere to the lore except my first character which is a norn named boris.

My female asura is Soqqo

Female sylvari is Irdiwen

Male sylvari is Ronandwyr

Male norn : Magnus Steeldawn (my fanfic Brother of captain Magnus Irondawn)

Male Charr : Sorros Gearmuzzle

I don't use special character/ascii on my character naming because it looks dirty and not lore adhering.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ardhikaizecson.3697 said:

All of my character name adhere to the lore except my first character which is a norn named boris.

My female asura is Soqqo

Female sylvari is Irdiwen

Male sylvari is Ronandwyr

Male norn : Magnus Steeldawn (my fanfic Brother of captain Magnus Irondawn)

Male Charr : Sorros Gearmuzzle

I don't use special character/ascii on my character naming because it looks dirty and not lore adhering.

Irdiwen and Ronandwyr are so pretty! 🤩Did you find those names somewhere or did you "invent" them? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Irdiwen and Ronandwyr are so pretty! 🤩Did you find those names somewhere or did you "invent" them? 

I came up with Ronandwyr after reading sylvari lore and am so glad the nobody has taken up the name at that time, but I've since deleted the character so anyone can feel free to take it , as for Irdiwen I think I found that name in another game forum but cant remember what was it.

• Like 1

I tend to stick to the racial naming conventions described in the wiki, though I do get silly with them sometimes. My Asura Mechanist with his big eyepiece and other mechanical parts is Assimilator Borgg; his mech is named Locutus. Lore wise, he is a member of the Dynamics sub-college that studies and "assimilates" the technology of other races for Asura use. Hence his name and adoption of all the latest things to come along, the most recent being jade tech.

• Like 1

All my permanent characters get names which I think at least fit in with the naming conventions, even if they don't follow them. There's 2 exceptions, both carried over from GW1: a norn called Ilex Hedera and a sylvari called Alleria Wildrunner. They'd be a bit better if I swapped them around, but the names fit the characters better as they are.

Here's the list of lore friendly ones:

Asura
Xexxi
Ambage

Sylvari
Aurhedyn
Bethe Arian

Human
Danielle Aurorel
Akkedis De Rinkhal

Norn
Vanirar Corvusson
Capn Seahawk
Gwyn Icedottir

Charr
Wraith Darkblade
Uncia Snowfur
Altaica Firecrest

• Like 1

My charrs are all in the Hornz warband. Examples are Gearhornz, Sharphornz, Smokehornz

Asuras, all the good easy names are taken so I give them a title like Agent Elle or Peacekeeper Bonk

sylvari I try to stick to welsh, Irish, Scottish names  also I use Warden or Valiant as a title

Norns are a mix of Nordic names and bragging titles.  Eric Thorson is my fav warrior  he uses a hammer 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What a cool thread!

Most of my characters are lore friendly too: 

Sylvari: Ærwynn, Ameríel, Nayauru (taken from a book series, not sure if very lore friendly) 

Human: Laena Sand (inspired by GRRM books, with Laena being a Velaryon name and Sand being a typical fatherless name for Dorne), Paomu (a Canthan NPC name for a Canthan guardian) 

Charr: Rhaena Steamfur (steam, because she's an engineer)

I had a Norn named Maerunn too, but the name is free now.  

Edited by nutri.1385
kitten name got censored
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 10:55 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

All my permanent characters get names which I think at least fit in with the naming conventions, even if they don't follow them. There's 2 exceptions, both carried over from GW1: a norn called Ilex Hedera and a sylvari called Alleria Wildrunner. They'd be a bit better if I swapped them around, but the names fit the characters better as they are.

Asura
Xexxi
Ambage

Sylvari
Aurhedyn
Bethe Arian

Human
Danielle Aurorel
Akkedis De Rinkhal

Norn
Vanirar Corvusson
Capn Seahawk
Gwyn Icedottir

Charr
Wraith Darkblade
Uncia Snowfur
Altaica Firecrest

I actually see Alleria Wildrunner as a pretty lore-friendly name for a sylvari, considering we have a few sylvari that use a "title" or "nickname" as part of their full name, like "of the Wild" (Laranthir) or "the Lonesome" (Amaranda). So "Wildrunner" still sounds very fitting, at least to me! 🙂  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nutri.1385 said:

What a cool thread!

Most of my characters are lore friendly too: 

Sylvari: Ærwynn, Ameríel, Nayauru (taken from a book series, not sure if very lore friendly) 

Human: Laena Sand (inspired by GRRM books, with Laena being a Velaryon name and Sand being a typical fatherless name for Dorne), Paomu (a Canthan NPC name for a Canthan guardian) 

Charr: Rhaena Steamfur (steam, because she's an engineer)

I had a Norn named Maerunn too, but the name is free now.  

Really cool names you got there! Nayauru sounds so unique, love it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/20/2022 at 3:53 AM, Brycar.2651 said:

My charrs are all in the Hornz warband. Examples are Gearhornz, Sharphornz, Smokehornz

Asuras, all the good easy names are taken so I give them a title like Agent Elle or Peacekeeper Bonk

sylvari I try to stick to welsh, Irish, Scottish names  also I use Warden or Valiant as a title

Norns are a mix of Nordic names and bragging titles.  Eric Thorson is my fav warrior  he uses a hammer 

I love the image I have in my mind of Peacekeeper Bonk! As in, if they're fighting to keep the peace, the sound that their weapon(s) make being literally "bonk" 😛 

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2022 at 10:55 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

Asura
Xexxi
Ambage

Sylvari
Aurhedyn
Bethe Arian

Human
Danielle Aurorel
Akkedis De Rinkhal

Norn
Vanirar Corvusson
Capn Seahawk
Gwyn Icedottir

Charr
Wraith Darkblade
Uncia Snowfur
Altaica Firecrest

Altaica, what a great name! Especially for a charr 🙂 Did you come up with it or did you see it somewhere?

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2022 at 8:53 AM, KnightofPhoenix.3679 said:

Charr - Sarabi Skyshot, from the Sky Warband and is a good shot with the rifle 

Norn - Njial Mistgale, was born with strong affinity to the mists and was believed destined to become a shaman

Human - Itala Palavin (not sure how accurate it is for Kryta)

Sylvari - Torrance 

Asari - Zarda 

From what I've seen both in-game and in canon lore in wiki pages, human names tend to be varied, you can never go wrong really! I'm not too familiar with Krytan names, gotta read about that, but Itala Palavin not only sounds pretty cool but it also sounds fitting for a human! Is Itala a Guardian btw? Palavin does sound a lot like paladin 🙂 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

I actually see Alleria Wildrunner as a pretty lore-friendly name for a sylvari, considering we have a few sylvari that use a "title" or "nickname" as part of their full name, like "of the Wild" (Laranthir) or "the Lonesome" (Amaranda). So "Wildrunner" still sounds very fitting, at least to me! 🙂  

I don't think it's obviously out of place or I wouldn't have used it, but I've never quite been able to decide on an explanation for it, other than something to do with her Wild Hunt.

Of course in real life it's inspired by Alleria Windrunner in Warcraft 2. I genuinely didn't realise how well known and popular she is when I first tried to use the name (considering she's only actually appeared as a minor character in an expansion pack), in retrospect I was probably lucky to get it after changing just 1 letter. Now I get to confuse people because I never played World of Warcraft and that's where most people know the name from.

4 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Altaica, what a great name! Especially for a charr 🙂 Did you come up with it or did you see it somewhere?

It used to be the species name for siberian tigers, before multiple species were reclassified as all populations of one species based on generic research. I think the name comes from the Altai Mountains and the root word for the name means 'golden' but I just liked how Altaica sounds. (She is of course a tiger striped charr.)

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2023 at 4:25 PM, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

From what I've seen both in-game and in canon lore in wiki pages, human names tend to be varied, you can never go wrong really! I'm not too familiar with Krytan names, gotta read about that, but Itala Palavin not only sounds pretty cool but it also sounds fitting for a human! Is Itala a Guardian btw? Palavin does sound a lot like paladin 🙂 

She's a Reaper actually ^^

But very much a noble socialite and in a way, looks like a goth Paladin xD 

• Like 1