Is It Possible to Start From Scratch?

GuruChaz.9314

Making a new character would still have access to all the achievements and what comes with it (mounts & gliding would be the main ones.  Though having autoloot is pretty handy)

If the goal was to just play through all the story content as soon as possible, the amount of time to do that would be considerably quicker than if you are going for map completion and story achievements.  But this isn't really different than most RPG games, where 'completing main story takes X hours, but there is 5X hours of playable content'

The hardest part is getting the seed money together.  That's probably the biggest obstacle to entering into the game's economy proper.  Most gold farms aren't actually gold, insomuch as they are materials to sell for gold, so you'll need to pay the listing fees for whatever it is you gather.  Once you've overcome that hurdle it won't be too hard to get all the gear and sell all the wares.  

• Confused 1

It's certainly possible to make a new character and play through everything on them without using level boosters/tomes and without taking items out the bank or transferring stuff from your other characters. The whole story and all the maps are still accessible (even more than there used to be, since season 1 came back) even to new characters.

If you do that the following things will carry over from your existing characters:

• Completed achievements
  • Unlocked skins, dyes, novelties etc. in the wardrobe
  • Gold and other currencies in the wallet
  • Account bonuses from achievements, login reward etc. like luck, XP gain, gold gain etc.
  • Materials in storage

The last 3 will have the biggest impact compared to genuinely starting from scratch. You'll level slightly faster due to the XP gain from achievement rewards and get slightly more gold, karma and more items above the basic tier due to the other bonuses. You'll also need to manually track gold and other currencies they earn and materials they gather if you don't want them using stuff from your other characters.

If you want to start over completely with nothing from your existing characters you'll need to make a new account. I strongly recommend starting with a free account - the restrictions won't affect you much in this situation and you'll be able to play the entire base game (including 100% map completion on core Tyria and the whole personal story) without having to pay anything. If after that you want to keep going you can buy the expansions and living story seasons, but I suspect the novelty will wear off by then, especially since as you progress your new account the differences to your existing one will get less and less. (At some point if you kept playing the new one you could catch up to your current account, you may not have all the same skins, achievements etc. but the differences won't be obvious.)

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

The original game no longer exists, so it's not possible.

I'd say that depends on how you define 'the original game'. All the maps, story instances etc. are still accessible, so it's not like some 'seasonal' games where when a new storyline is released the old ones are depreciated and no longer playable, or even things like World of Warcraft where some expansions re-worked large areas of the base game and entirely changed the quests and other storylines which happened there. Even when GW2 has changed maps, like Kessex Hills, it didn't remove any of the content that was there, at most it changed the activities for some of the hearts close to the Tower but mostly it added new stuff.

On the other hand a lot of systems have been changed. A lot of skills and traits have been changed and the way you unlock them is quite different to how it used to be, transmutation is completely different, many players have mounts and gliders, novelties have a dedicated menu instead of being items and so on.

Personally I wouldn't say that's enough to say the original game no longer exists, you're still doing the same things, if you make a new character they'll still start in the same tutorial, end up outside their racial city and go through the same personal story and core maps as 10 years ago, it's just that the specifics of how you'll do some things has changed. But it depends on the players priorities. If what they want is to unlock weapon skills on each weapon individually by getting kills with it, put trait points into 5 different lines to have a mix of adept and master traits with no grandmasters, play in core maps with no one using mounts etc. they can't do that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GuruChaz.9314 said:

Is it possible to reset everything and start from the very beginning of the original Guild Wars 2 and make a fresh character?    How long do you think it would take to go through all the content?   

Just curious.

16 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Only by creating a new account.  You could make a Play4Free account, and if you decided to keep playing that account, eventually purchase the Complete Collection.  How long it would take depends on what you consider 'all the content'. 

After having played GW2 for three years I did start a new account. I thought it would be fun to take everything I'd learned about the game and start over from scratch. Whew, was I wrong! Instead of being fun, starting over like that just seemed to me like a long, boring grind. At this point I have a main account that I've been playing for five years now and four alt accounts. I don't play the alt accounts, I just use them to feed mats and daily log in goodies to my main account. That was just my own experience though. Your mileage may vary. That's why the suggestion to start a free account is a good one. It's an easy way to see if starting over from scratch is something you'd like or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'd say that depends on how you define 'the original game'.

The trait system has been fundamentally reworked multiple times.

Content has been added (expansions, Living World, etc.), while old content has been changed (for example world bosses.

Arah lost its story mode.

Masteries have been added.

These are just four examples of why the game can't be played in its original state anymore.

Edited by Fueki.4753

I appreciate everyone's feedback.   Danikat and Chichimec answered basically what I was trying to ask.   It's been several years since I last played and I basically forgot the story and so forth.   I now have all the expansions and was wondering about starting a character fresh and staying on the same account.   

I know each character has a personal story, but I was basically wondering about the server story progression of things.   I have no idea what is going on or know anything about this new End of Dragons expansion and what it's about.   Sounds like it's the end of the dragons?   or the end of the game?   (shrug)

So far, I'm finding it fun and kind of like a tutorial to remember the basics.  I will probably get to a point though where I will want to use my level 30 boost but I'm trying to avoid it as long as I can.   I made a Nord Guardian and it's been a lot of fun going through the starter village quests.   

Edited by GuruChaz.9314
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, GuruChaz.9314 said:

I know each character has a personal story, but I was basically wondering about the server story progression of things.   I have no idea what is going on or know anything about this new End of Dragons expansion and what it's about.   Sounds like it's the end of the dragons?   or the end of the game?   (shrug)

You can go through the entire story, it's all still available. The full order is:

1. Personal Story
  2. Living World Season 1
  3. LW Season 2
  4. Heart of Thorns
  5. LW Season 3
  6. Path of Fire
  7. LW Seasson 4
  8. Icebrood Saga (aka Season 5)
  9. End of Dragons

End of Dragons is the end of the dragon's story. I won't give away how it ends but at that point the Elder Dragons threat to Tyria is over. Anet have already confirmed it's not the end of the game however, they're already working on another expansion and a new storyline is due to start early next year.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 1