Weapon additions

Fenris.8563

1 minute ago, Fenris.8563 said:

The purpose of the question is odd and as a software engineer you know that.  What are we doing here? Are we saying they're not capable making another weapon for this game? Jfc 🤣

as a software engineer that worked on a number of varying complexity systems, I am trying to tell you, that just because they made a game, does not mean that the code base is flexible or expandable enough to allow expansion you would like to see.

Just within my field of experience I have met numerous situations where something felt it "should be easy" to person whom did not work on the code of that particular system, only for that person to get boggled down for months trying to do the "easy enough" task. I've even been there myself more than once.

4 minutes ago, Fenris.8563 said:

You're exaggerating what I'm saying here. Kinda like how he did.  Yes it's a lot of work. No it's not easy. They can't just snap their fingers.  But this is what they do and they've literally already done it with other weapons. 

I am not exagerrating anything. What they have done, was design and implement system that consisted of specific amount of weapon types within that system. Afterwards the only expansion to that system they did, was to allow more classes to use already existing weapon types. At no point have they actually added a whole new type, which is what you were asking for and claiming it should be well within their capabilities.

And I have designed and implemented my fair share of systems so far, that I would not be able to feasibly expand, primarily because when those systems were designed, the requirements did not call for that to be an option. In those cases if I wanted to perform such expansion it would mean redevelopping whole system from the scratch. At which point it is not expansion of the system, it's creationg of whole new one.

9 minutes ago, Fenris.8563 said:

I know enough to know this is true.

You know enough to have illusion of knowing enough to think it is true. Don't worry I have been there myself when I was working on my degrees. I know the feeling. But the reality they will not teach you at universities is much more complex, and soon enough you will learn that.

11 minutes ago, Fenris.8563 said:

You don't have to white knight this dude because you're afraid of GW2 adding weapons. 

Ah, and here we go, acusation of white knighting just because someone more experienced in the field have dared to disagree with your claim that the task should be "easy enough", with a strawman that anyone in this thread is "afraid" of GW2 having wider variety of weapons. FYI nobody in here is afraid of having more potential diversity in weapon choices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

as a software engineer that worked on a number of varying complexity systems, I am trying to tell you, that just because they made a game, does not mean that the code base is flexible or expandable enough to allow expansion you would like to see.

Just within my field of experience I have met numerous situations where something felt it "should be easy" to person whom did not work on the code of that particular system, only for that person to get boggled down for months trying to do the "easy enough" task. I've even been there myself more than once.

I am not exagerrating anything. What they have done, was design and implement system that consisted of specific amount of weapon types within that system. Afterwards the only expansion to that system they did, was to allow more classes to use already existing weapon types. At no point have they actually added a whole new type, which is what you were asking for and claiming it should be well within their capabilities.

And I have designed and implemented my fair share of systems so far, that I would not be able to feasibly expand, primarily because when those systems were designed, the requirements did not call for that to be an option. In those cases if I wanted to perform such expansion it would mean redevelopping whole system from the scratch. At which point it is not expansion of the system, it's creationg of whole new one.

You know enough to have illusion of knowing enough to think it is true. Don't worry I have been there myself when I was working on my degrees. I know the feeling. But the reality they will not teach you at universities is much more complex, and soon enough you will learn that.

Ah, and here we go, acusation of white knighting just because someone more experienced in the field have dared to disagree with your claim that the task should be "easy enough", with a strawman that anyone in this thread is "afraid" of GW2 having wider variety of weapons. FYI nobody in here is afraid of having more potential diversity in weapon choices.

Then what is the energy for? Honestly.  Why do you or him care about how much of a challenge it is? Why is that even a factor?  I've watched SE completely remake FFXIV.  I've seen plenty of developers add weapons.  Including GW2 lol.

So....what is it really then?  By all means.  Neither of you seem to support new weapons being brought to GW2.   It is so irrelevant for us to sit here and discuss how difficult it may, or may not be, for this to be done.  Can't stress that enough.

And again, as a software engineer you know that.  You definitely do.   No hostility man it's just this is way off topic for us players.  If They came out and said their system couldn't handle it, then you'd have a point.  But they haven't done that, have they? By all means. I'm not even being argumentative at this point.  If they've said that then I apologize for even bringing it up. But I've looked and haven't found it. 

I simply put in a request that I knew was beyond a long shot from the beginning because I've seen things done based on feedback before. We don't need all this 😭

• Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

What weapons has gw2 added that was not wielded by any other class before?

My mistake, they didn't add totally no weapons not weielded by any other class.

With that being said, that doesn't mean it can't be done, and it is highly unlikely they did not account for new weapons to be added in the future (MMO developers always, as fas as I've seen, looked as much into the future as possible from the get go because new things are typically addded to them).  

Look at the end of the day, arguing about ANY of this is a waste of all of our time.  There is nothing wrong with me giving input (which is extremely valuable to developers) on the game I am playing and paying for.  I mean, these forums are here for a reason.  I'm home now so I'm not going back and forth with this anymore.  I'm gonna hop on GW2 instead and actually play the game lmao.  Have a good night

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Honestly, that has been one of my main problems with the game. They set themselves in a corner with how they designed professions with the weapons, so they can't really add new ones without a lot of work involved for all of the professions at once. I would love new weapons being added, but I don't see it happening. Hell, they even have the animations already in game for the weapon I want, the whip. The people in the maze use it, and the superbox uses it as well. My best hope though for any weapon to be added in the game is by skins just changing the animation of existing weapon in hand. They already did that somewhat with the chain-sword, but I would love a good proper whip to replace the sword at least. Not another chain sword, but the whip from the above mentioned with the animations and all.

7 minutes ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

Honestly, that has been one of my main problems with the game. They set themselves in a corner with how they designed professions with the weapons, so they can't really add new ones without a lot of work involved for all of the professions at once. I would love new weapons being added, but I don't see it happening. Hell, they even have the animations already in game for the weapon I want, the whip. The people in the maze use it, and the superbox uses it as well. My best hope though for any weapon to be added in the game is by skins just changing the animation of existing weapon in hand. They already did that somewhat with the chain-sword, but I would love a good proper whip to replace the sword at least. Not another chain sword, but the whip from the above mentioned with the animations and all.

That would be awesome!  I've mentioned a whip in other MMOS and no one seems to bite from my experience.  It would be a cool weapon though.  This game is great but man, it really is a shame they don't just bite the bullet and give us a couple more weapons.  It would really put this game on a whole other level for me personally.  Looks like they're already working on their next MMO, so hopefully there will be a bit more to it in terms of weapons.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fenris.8563 said:

🙄You don't have to white knight this dude because you're afraid of GW2 adding weapons.

"Whoever disagrees with me is a white knight. Check mate!" Good way to have a reasonable argument with nuanced opinions.

Inb4 "But you just write "No." to most things suggested, how is that reasonable and nuanced, huh?!?!?!?!?!?!? LMAO I win again!"
If I write "No." under a thread, the suggestion has been made and discussed ad nauseam in the last 10 years. It's not original and discussion of it won't add anything to it. I have already replied to this suggestion in a responsible and nuanced way, I have done so probably 7 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

"Whoever disagrees with me is a white knight. Check mate!" Good way to have a reasonable argument with nuanced opinions.

Inb4 "But you just write "No." to most things suggested, how is that reasonable and nuanced, huh?!?!?!?!?!?!? LMAO I win again!"
If I write "No." under a thread, the suggestion has been made and discussed ad nauseam in the last 10 years. It's not original and discussion of it won't add anything to it. I have already replied to this suggestion in a responsible and nuanced way, I have done so probably 7 years ago.

Okay, so you don't need to do it again, and again, and again.  The only person responsible for it being nauseating, is yourself.  You've done that to yourself.  Nobody is doing it to you.  I did not force you to read my post.  And replying on forums with 1 worded answers, is far more nauseating to people than bringing up subjects that... *checks YOUR notes*, SO many people WANT to talk about.  Obviously.

You can literally just..........................ignore it.

It does not affect you in any way.  It's all good man.  Not trying to argue here.  It's just, god forbid I come in here with a suggestion (A suggestion that... if SO many people have suggested, maybe it should be addressed with "we can't"  or  "we're working on it").  Just a thought.  

Let's just drop it on move on man. It's really not a big deal.  So let's stop making it be a big deal. 🤝

• Confused 3

55 minutes ago, Fenris.8563 said:

Okay, so you don't need to do it again, and again, and again.  The only person responsible for it being nauseating, is yourself.  You've done that to yourself.  Nobody is doing it to you.  I did not force you to read my post.  And replying on forums with 1 worded answers, is far more nauseating to people than bringing up subjects that... *checks YOUR notes*, SO many people WANT to talk about.  Obviously.

You can literally just..........................ignore it.

It does not affect you in any way.  It's all good man.  Not trying to argue here.  It's just, god forbid I come in here with a suggestion (A suggestion that... if SO many people have suggested, maybe it should be addressed with "we can't"  or  "we're working on it").  Just a thought.  

Let's just drop it on move on man. It's really not a big deal.  So let's stop making it be a big deal. 🤝

You wont get either of those two answer mate.

All we know is everything is on the table, the devs have said that.

The problem is since everything is on it the kitten table is HUGE

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Fenris.8563 said:

developers add weapons.  Including GW2 lol.

I am unfamiliar with any weapons Guild Wars 2 added since launch.  Can you post a list of said added weapons?   Never mind, I see you have admitted there is no such thing.

In the future, there is a Stickied thread for suggestions.  If you want to guarantee the Devs  see your suggestion(s), you might consider posting there.

Good luck.

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234

6 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

What weapons have been added to GW2 post launch?

Already adressed here

19 hours ago, Fenris.8563 said:

My mistake, they didn't add totally no weapons not weielded by any other class.

With that being said, that doesn't mean it can't be done, and it is highly unlikely they did not account for new weapons to be added in the future (MMO developers always, as fas as I've seen, looked as much into the future as possible from the get go because new things are typically addded to them).  

Look at the end of the day, arguing about ANY of this is a waste of all of our time.  There is nothing wrong with me giving input (which is extremely valuable to developers) on the game I am playing and paying for.  I mean, these forums are here for a reason.  I'm home now so I'm not going back and forth with this anymore.  I'm gonna hop on GW2 instead and actually play the game lmao.  Have a good night

My dream for this game still = every weapon (and utility, etc) being useable both on land and in water with animations just tweaked a little. They can even make the upper body attacks more generic if they have to, just swing the weapon with upper body while lower pedals and give us the same effects. Plenty of utilities have had targeting mechanics changed to fit underwater but have been done so unequally. Like Specter Wells (which can't be used currently) being made target locked or self cast in water like other ground target skills were changed to; such as Guardian's Sanctuary, Sword of Justice, Intervention, etc.

Spearguns on land aren't unusual, I shoot people with them all the time in Fallout. XD Spears have already been a land weapon in GW and I don't see land Tridents being a problem either, angry villagers pitchfork people all the time.

Then ofc we'd need more underwater content and swimsuits.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Confused 2

On 12/15/2022 at 10:44 PM, Fenris.8563 said:

I've watched SE completely remake FFXIV. 

it "only" took whole studio couple YEARS of servers shut down, and doing nothing else but remaking the game.

Why do you or him care about how much of a challenge it is?

because "challenging" tasks take time to solve, and every minute spent on that particular task means minute not spent on other tasks.

I've seen plenty of developers add weapons.

and they probably have designed their systems to allow easy expansion in such a manner. Which we DO NOT KNOW if GW2 did.

Including GW2 lol.

No, because since the launch in 2012, GW2 has never added new weapon type to a game. But you already clarified that.

So....what is it really then?  By all means.  Neither of you seem to support new weapons being brought to GW2.   It is so irrelevant for us to sit here and discuss how difficult it may, or may not be, for this to be done.  Can't stress that enough.

My participation in this discussion stems from you laying out the claim it should be "easy enough" for AN to do. My only goal in here is to make you understand, that no, it is not. I am not against new weapons being brought to GW2, but I do know enough about software engineering to know that I do know enough about how GW2 code has been written to judge if it is feasible request.

Considering the fact you started to try to back away from your claim of it being "easy enough" and attempted to move out into "difficulty of the task doesn't matter", I am hoping that I did manage to make you understand that the difficulty of this task is not something you can just guess without knowing how the code was made.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1