Returning player, how is the state of PvP?

Jagdtiger.2517

Hello,

I am planning on returning to the game after not playing since Path of Fire release. How is the state of the game nowadays, specifically on the North American server? I know this game never had an insane PvP population, but is PvP still playable with reasonable queue times? Last time I played I was around top 25 level and burned myself out constantly tryharding for top 10. This time I plan on playing more casually. I'll probably play WvW and some PvE also. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Population is probably higher if anything since Steam release. I don't think queue times have changed dramatically in either direction.

PvP chat is as toxic as ever. Heart of the Mists remains the most bleak place to hang out in the game. Recommend queuing from literally anywhere else. Griefing teammates is unfortunately still a reality and ANet hasn't done much to mitigate it.

Balance is probably in one of the best spots it's been in. Every class has viable builds in at least two different roles.

Power meta. Condi is still viable, there's just quite a bit of condi cleanse access so you have to bait cleanses and use more frequent, lower duration condis. 

Mobility creep has blurred the lines with roles. Everybody can kinda overlap with roamer as needed. Lots of classes have built in 25% movement speed or can trait for it. Mechanist got a 20s CD teleport, Willbender's virtues are movement skills, Vindicator has some leaps... NOT having mobility is the exception these days. 

No more bunkers. Toughness amulets are removed. Whew! Healing amulets were reduced too. Support builds are using Avatar amulet which only gives 500 healing. Fights should be less of a slog than during previous metas. That said, plenty of duelist options can sustain for quite a while, it's just more active defense like Spellbreaker's Full Counter, rather than passively soaking up damage just because of your gear.

Support roles are dominated by Tempest and core Guardian. Druid, Vindicator, and Specter are niche picks. Lots of DPS/duelist/roamer builds offer some support to allies, though. If you're a 'selfish' DPS, you better be securing kills 😛 

Edited by Anonynja.3172
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 12/22/2022 at 1:42 AM, Jagdtiger.2517 said:

Hello,

I am planning on returning to the game after not playing since Path of Fire release. How is the state of the game nowadays, specifically on the North American server? I know this game never had an insane PvP population, but is PvP still playable with reasonable queue times? Last time I played I was around top 25 level and burned myself out constantly tryharding for top 10. This time I plan on playing more casually. I'll probably play WvW and some PvE also. 

Thanks. 

Actually the meta not that bad, NA time have more population.

• Like 1

spb stands out but the balance around top/meta builds isn't that bad compared to some of the stuff that's existed in the past
it looks quite a bit worse when you compare something like vindi to renegade or spb to zerk tho

top specs have absurd amounts of free damage, sustain, boons, mobility, pretty much everything compared to weaker ones

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 9:03 PM, Anonynja.3172 said:

Population is probably higher if anything since Steam release. I don't think queue times have changed dramatically in either direction.

PvP chat is as toxic as ever. Heart of the Mists remains the most bleak place to hang out in the game. Recommend queuing from literally anywhere else. Griefing teammates is unfortunately still a reality and ANet hasn't done much to mitigate it.

Balance is probably in one of the best spots it's been in. Every class has viable builds in at least two different roles.

Power meta. Condi is still viable, there's just quite a bit of condi cleanse access so you have to bait cleanses and use more frequent, lower duration condis. 

Mobility creep has blurred the lines with roles. Everybody can kinda overlap with roamer as needed. Lots of classes have built in 25% movement speed or can trait for it. Mechanist got a 20s CD teleport, Willbender's virtues are movement skills, Vindicator has some leaps... NOT having mobility is the exception these days. 

No more bunkers. Toughness amulets are removed. Whew! Healing amulets were reduced too. Support builds are using Avatar amulet which only gives 500 healing. Fights should be less of a slog than during previous metas. That said, plenty of duelist options can sustain for quite a while, it's just more active defense like Spellbreaker's Full Counter, rather than passively soaking up damage just because of your gear.

Support roles are dominated by Tempest and core Guardian. Druid, Vindicator, and Specter are niche picks. Lots of DPS/duelist/roamer builds offer some support to allies, though. If you're a 'selfish' DPS, you better be securing kills 😛 

This is one of the most copium filled comment I've ever seen this year.Really? Bunker meta is dead when classes with invun and blocks buffed and node fights goes like slog pillow fights.This kid says this is one of the best?Warriors,mesmers guards popin 10000 inv  and block  and meta become damage sponge as possible this person goes this is good.What a meme 😄