Update & Downloading Files [Merged]

Download is going from like 1kb/sec to 200kb/sec very rapidly it's very fast in changing the speed of the download. I am in Germany and have an account on an EU server.

So i am not sure what's causing this, but it's not a pleasant experience. I am just glad it does download it at all. I am happy that i have decent connection. Sadly not true in all areas in Germany.

Update:
Saw a spike of 400kb/sec....
Very weird behaviour. Nothing to worry about now, but if you from Arenanet could investigate if there might be more problems in the background we are not aware of right now... Worrisome.

Edited by Tigerkralle.1435

4 minutes ago, Tigerkralle.1435 said:

Download is going from like 1kb/sec to 200kb/sec very rapidly it's very fast in changing the speed of the download. I am in Germany and have an account on an EU server.

So i am not sure what's causing this, but it's not a pleasant experience. I am just glad it does download it at all. I am happy that i have decent connection. Sadly not true in all areas in Germany.

Update:
Saw a spike of 400kb/sec....
Very weird behaviour. Nothing to worry about now, but if you from Arenanet could investigate if there might be more problems in the background we are not aware of right now... Worrisome.

The speed  changes happen because it downloads 100k+ small files today, normally there are much less files.

• Like 1

I am been using 1 Gbps fibre broadband for few years now and usually I have no problem updating GW2, it's super fast speed averaging less than a minute. This latest update patch, I have been downloading for more than an hour now and not even half the patch is done?! I relogin, reset my internet, nothing works. Used to be 25-40 mbps now I see only 10-30 kbps download. What is happening? Anyone else having same issue? Ya and I have no problem streaming movies and downloading other stuff.

1 minute ago, Min Min.9368 said:

I am been using 1 Gbps fibre broadband for few years now and usually I have no problem updating GW2, it's super fast speed averaging less than a minute. This latest update patch, I have been downloading for more than an hour now and not even half the patch is done?! I relogin, reset my internet, nothing works. Used to be 25-40 mbps now I see only 10-30 kbps download. What is happening? Anyone else having same issue? Ya and I have no problem streaming movies and downloading other stuff.

Its looking like its re-verifying all the files versus just the files for the update. So the speed delay might be that aka the drive checking versus actual downloads.. I think when it first started it said something 175K files to download. Don't have a fast connection but its chewing thru the 175K files pretty quick with min downloading.

• Thanks 1

Its because there's hundreds of thousands of small files, which it has to download and patch and this takes alot of time due to it having to go through the archive (Gw2.dat) file by file.

You can only reach a high transfer bandwidth when you have files that are very large, not a few kilobytes, because your system has to spend more time on the CPU, memory and disk patching small files than it does in the few milliseconds it takes to download that amount.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Min Min.9368 said:

I see only 10-30 kbps download. What is happening? Anyone else having same issue?

Same. Usually takes 1 min for a file this size- about 1.5gb. But the download speed was hovering around 50 to 75 kbps although it does spike up ro 1 or 2 mbps but never last more than a few secs. Could be the network route for some of us. I'm in western part of Ganada, btw.

I guess they wanted to give us all more time for Forum Wars 2, The Reply! Almost done, as I said saw it spend a lot of time spinning file counts without adding to download size so its hard to tell what went on here. Couple of guild mates starting up are seeing the same mass file checks or I would assume I had hit something. 

14 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Same. Usually takes 1 min for a file this size- about 1.5gb. But the download speed was hovering around 50 to 75 kbps although it does spike up ro 1 or 2 mbps but never last more than a few secs. Could be the network route for some of us. I'm in western part of Ganada, btw.

Same here too. Once in a while, it spikes up to more than 100 kbps but only for a few seconds and then dropped back to 10-30 kbps speed 😕 Now I am still downloading hovering at 20-50 kbps, up and down, up and down... Never happened before and I hope that this is a one time thing due to routing or what not.

Thank you all for the replies 🧧

Edited by Min Min.9368

2 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Yeah the update notes are oddly brief for an update that appears all the games files?

Its pretty much in preparation for an entirely new graphics engine as they remove DirectX 9 from the game, shifting to DirectX 11 entirely and basing all future code and map design on its featureset.

Right now although DX11 was implemented the engine is still a hybrid spaghetti.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Its because there's hundreds of thousands of small files, which it has to download and patch and this takes alot of time due to it having to go through the archive (Gw2.dat) file by file.

You can only reach a high transfer bandwidth when you have files that are very large, not a few kilobytes, because your system has to spend more time on the CPU, memory and disk patching small files than it does in the few milliseconds it takes to download that amount.

It doesn't matter much if it's 1 huge file or lots of small files. They're downloaded into a cache file. Any updates always involves 1000's of small files. It is extremely unusual when the download speed is less than 1/1000 of the normal speed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Its pretty much in preparation for an entirely new graphics engine as they remove DirectX 9 from the game, shifting to DirectX 11 entirely and basing all future code and map design on its featureset.

Right now although DX11 was implemented the engine is still a hybrid spaghetti.

That could be it but it feels unlikely since they just use a middleware anyways.  

• Confused 1