Massive fps drop since dx11

Hey all, 
I'm pretty desperate about the upgrade from dx9 to dx11. 
My pc uses dx12 and I don't have any issues on any game. Everything runs on highest settings just fine. Except for gw2. 
When dx9 was standard I had around 120fps in open world. Cities like DR or LA 50-60. Everything on highest settings and I never even struggled during meta events or world bosses. 
Now with dx11 I noticed a massive drop in fps. Open world 50-60 and in cities I only reach 29. 
I get the same fps now only on best performance that I had back then on highest settings. 
My partner has no issues at all. His fps got improved by a lot although my pc has better components and is much newer. 
Why is that? 
Due to my sensory issues this game became literally unplayable for me like this. 
Am I alone with this? 

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

This is the price you have to pay to update the engine and the directx renderer of a game that started development in 2007-2008. Its not just clicking a button and everything works perfect and improves. They need to touch a lot of things and is a process that takes long until its fully implemented and optimized.

Nontheless these posts are good so they ackowledge theres some problems. Anyway im pretty sure they are monitoring and fixes will eventually come.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 3

I have had very unusual fps drops ever since the update and have had a lot of people ingame confirm the same.

My specs:

NVIDIA RTX 2070 SUPER

16 GB RAM

Ryzen 5 3600X 6 Core

GW2 is installed on an SSD.

I am running most everything on High besides Reflections (Terrain & Sky) and Shadows (Low) and besides Big

Zergs or something never had any noticable problems. Frames are capped at 60 and sometimes dropped to 30ish in

eg. Mistlock but never ha any real noticable problems - it never felt "laggish".

Ever since the update i get weird random lags - according to the frames they never drop below 30 but it sometimes felt like slow motion and would be unplayable in e.g. PvP.

Haven't tested today.

5 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

This is the price you have to pay to update the engine and the directx renderer of a game that started development in 2007-2008. Its not just clicking a button and everything works perfect and improves. They need to touch a lot of things and is a process that takes long until its fully implemented and optimized.

Nontheless these posts are good so they ackowledge theres some problems. Anyway im pretty sure they are monitoring and fixes will eventually come.

And yet those whose systems run just fine in DX9 are being forced to be ArenaNet’s unofficial QA staff for DX11.  I’m fine with it taking time to stabilize DX11 for all users but they shouldn’t remove the option for those who see better stability with DX9 prior to that. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 2

I guess it all depends on your hardware. Last year I got two significant FPS boosts:

The first was by upgrading from Windows 7 x64 to Windows 11 x64.
The second was by changing from the GW2 DX9 renderer to the DX11 renderer.

On Nvidia Quadro M2200 and Nvidia RTX3070 hardware.

But a FPS drop is very well possible. Some older graphics drivers for older graphics cards have very well optimized DX9 rendering paths and not so optimized DX11 rendering paths. So results will vary based on your system configurations.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826

17 hours ago, Glael.7643 said:

Hey all, 
My pc uses dx12 and I don't have any issues on any game. Everything runs on highest settings just fine. Except for gw2. 
When dx9 was standard I had around 120fps in open world. Cities like DR or LA 50-60. Everything on highest settings and I never even struggled during meta events or world bosses. 
Now with dx11 I noticed a massive drop in fps. Open world 50-60 and in cities I only reach 29. 
I get the same fps now only on best performance that I had back then on highest settings. 
My partner has no issues at all. His fps got improved by a lot although my pc has better components and is much newer. 
Why is that? 
Due to my sensory issues this game became literally unplayable for me like this. 
Am I alone with this? 

Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers?

On 1/12/2023 at 1:06 PM, Glael.7643 said:

Hey all, 
Why is that? 
Am I alone with this? 

1. delete the cache folder its named gw2cache and a string of letters and numbers behing it.  Its located in C:\Users\Your Username\AppData\Local\Temp\
2. Delete all files in following nvidia folder: C:\Users\Your Username\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\DXCache   (some files will be in use, just skip them dont delete)
3. Remove Local.Dat file (This will reset your ingame Graphics settings, all other settings will remain, so no worry about keybinds lost or so)  The file is C:\Users\Your Username\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2\local.dat

Edited by SlateSloan.3654
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...