Does "Motion Blur" and "Environment Zone Intensity" do anything?

I've been looking into the "Motion Blur" thing for a while now, and I can't seem to find it affecting anything. At least not in the traditional sense. I've looked into older Forums and Reddit posts, but people seem to have a different opinion on how it's supposed to work. I don't suppose there have been clearer examples down out there.

And what exactly does "Environment Zone Intensity" does? I've messed around with it for a bit on different areas and haven't noticed any changes. At least every other graphical feature has an obvious change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The new "Environment Zone Intensity" slider presumably only really has an effect on the new EoD maps where people have been complaining about poor performance for the past year. The tooltip even uses "the void" as an example.

The only effect i've seen from it is the fog surrounding Deimos's platform disappears with it on low, like how it looks once he's defeated. It has 0 effect on FPS in that instance. As in, absolutely no effect whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been testing the environment intensity one with the confetti in Divinity's Reach and it doesn't seem to do anything with that effect until the last 1/4 of the bar, when it makes it more transparent, then putting it all the way down the bottom turns it off entirely.

I haven't noticed any impact anywhere else, but I haven't really paid much attention to it.

• Like 1

The motion blur is only ever used with that really annoying mechanic where you're getting sucked around. One example is at the Domain of Istan meta event with the final boss, Iberu, and another is in Dragon's Stand.

I know mounts originally had it for the "travelling by car" effect but alot of players complained of motion sickness so it was removed, or at least severely reduced in intensity. On second thought maybe it just wasn't properly ported to DirectX 11, since this is around the time I remember it disappearing?

The environmental zone intensity slider doesn't work as expected because once again they're trying to pack too many graphics settings into a single user interface option. At higher settings, it seems to reduce the number of particles, while at lower settings it seems to make them transparent, before turning them off entirely. It also seems to adjust stuff like glow effects somewhere in there.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 11:47 PM, LSD.4673 said:

The new "Environment Zone Intensity" slider presumably only really has an effect on the new EoD maps

More than EoD, such as Crystal Oasis near main wp have washed out colors if you lower it and in W5  it affects particles floating in air and assumedly makes eyes room darker iirc.