How to get rid of the turtle?

Got to the 'Suiting Up' phase of the turtle mount process, then abandoned the idea after hitting the Strike Mission requirement (don't do Strikes and don't have a Strike ready group for this). That's fine, however I now have this giant lovesick turtle following me around all the time in Arborstone. How do I get rid of it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I meant without doing the Strike mission. Couldn't find any groups for this (or any other strikes) under Training in LFG, and I assume that experienced groups will not want someone who has no experience of strikes.

To be clear, I'm not asking how to complete the turtle mount without doing the strike (because I know you can't). Just asking how to stop this giant turtle following me around Arborstone.

Edited by Twelfth Knight.5698
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Go to Arborstone, post in LFG something like: "Looking for turtle strike, I do not have experience in strikes so someone who knows what they are doing to help out would be great."  You should fill a group pretty quickly and get at least a couple of people who know what they are doing.  If you have mostly people who are in the same boat you are and only one or two experienced you will probably wipe a time or two learning mechanics, but you should be able to get it done in 30-45 minutes, allowing for some wipes.   I do not do strikes or raids often, but I used this method, or responded to someone else using it on both of my accounts and found it to be not that difficult.  Good luck.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Twelfth Knight.5698 said:

OK will try what you suggested - thanks. The turtle following was amusing/cute at first - until it got annoying (mainly due to its size and the guilt-inducing hearts).

Yeah, it clearly is programmed to follow at the same distance it did when it was small. I’m constantly telling it, “Dude! Personal space!”

And that’s not to mention the heavy breathing.

• Haha 11
  • Confused 1

Did as suggested by Erich.1783 and didn't take long to form a group, with a really helpful experienced player taking the lead and giving out instructions at the start. Completed despite missing a whole load of helpful text prompts and getting downed way too much. Slightly embarrassed but really appreciative of the helpful people in this game.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Yeah, it clearly is programmed to follow at the same distance it did when it was small. I’m constantly telling it, “Dude! Personal space!”

And that’s not to mention the heavy breathing.

Worse if you're an Asura, when it seems to block out half the screen unless you zoom right out.  I assume that no one else can see it from the lack of messages saying 'Hey, move your ******* turtle!'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 1:13 AM, Twelfth Knight.5698 said:

To be clear, I'm not asking how to complete the turtle mount without doing the strike (because I know you can't). Just asking how to stop this giant turtle following me around Arborstone.

Unless ANet have changed something, I'm pretty sure that you can't. You're part way through training it, and it's part of the Arborstone furniture for you right now - so it's going to keep following you until you finish. Your options are bascially to put up with it or complete the strike.

(Like others have said - people in this game are awesome. I've completed the turtle on four accounts. On a couple I put up a LFG asking for help for the turtle. I didn't survive to the end of the strike once - I seem to have a blind spot with one of the later fights - but people stuck around and helped me, and no-one complained. I am seriously grateful to them.)

Edited by Doghouse.1562
  • Like 3