I am looking for some advice for a main.

Hi all.

So I've played on and off for a number of years now, I have a handful of max levels but none I would really consider my main.

I have not really delved into any specific play style, nor have I engaged in anything outside of just wandering around core Tyria occasionally catching some world boss event.

I decided that I want to actually start moving forward, to work on crafting and to progress through the stories and engage in actual end game content.

I am the kind of person who wants to be helpful, but would also enjoy doing solo things from time to time.

I guess I'm looking for a main that can support a group, and that can also solo when called for, all whilst not being boring or "one note".

I've spent far too much time in this game going no where. If any vets out there would be willing to share their thoughts, I would love to soak up their advice.

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

firebrand, or heal alac mechanist ( you can go power mechanist when solo)

Completely agree , mech is easy to play as support and as dps , in OW pew pew mech tears apart 75% of the content with little trouble and the support is one of the best alac provider of the game.

2 hours ago, Lindsey.8062 said:

I am the kind of person who wants to be helpful, but would also enjoy doing solo things from time to time.

I guess I'm looking for a main that can support a group, and that can also solo when called for, all whilst not being boring or "one note".

Not quite what you are looking for, but based on these comments I think you'd be fine working on more than one character, FWIW. The game is very friendly to running multiple characters. I think if you have one (or two, or three, ...) whose fantasy feel and style you enjoy, push forward with those as your solo and adventuring character(s). You can always keep another specifically for group content you get into, be it fractals, raids, strikes, or whatnot -- rather than putting it all on one character. It also enables you to give yourself several objectives to aim for in parallel (e.g., gearing them all, going after a specific skin/transmog look for each, things like that) in addition to the account-wide things like achievements.

Firebrand could sure fit the bill, though. for a 1-and-done focus!

I'd focus on the profession mechanics that you enjoy playing with. All professions can solo and support groups.

I enjoy Thief the most. High mobility, stealth, and the initiative system make me feel like I always have the option to change my strategy on the fly.

Currently trying to work through Elementalist. I understand the concepts. It just feels clunky, likely due to Attunements being the opposite of Thief initiative skills. I'll "get it" one of these days and then all those shiny skill animations will be mine.

• Like 1

I guess Im a bit like you. Sometimes I play more, sometimes less. And I also have problems with "main".

If you don't know which class should be your main, it means you want them all. In general, thats not possible. If one class can be everythig, then there would be no need to have lots of classes.

Exception is Revenant. By switching specializations(includes Elite ones) and legends, you can be pretty much anything you want.

Go Revenant.

Edited by Pirogen.9561
  • Like 1

Ultimately you should play what you enjoy most and if you are looking to change it up, I find that Elite specializations mechanics change a profession up enough to make it different enough to play.

For me personally, I love Engineer. Holosmith for any PvE content that I want to solo or do in groups or scrapper support in WvW.

In previous MMO's you've played. Did you find yourself enjoying more melee based gameplay or ranged based gameplay?