Chromium Embedded Framework Host for Guild Wars 2 stopped to work [Merged]

I use WINE/Proton to run the game and had the launch screen hang at "initializing" problem too, so I don't think the bug is related to security software or Windows version. The -usecoherent command got everything working normally prior to the patch, thanks!

My Chromium error code prior to the revert, if it helps:
[0314/132636.728:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(225)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 0
[0314/132637.234:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(225)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 0

Launcher would hang after I clicked login, and nothing would respond. Tried the -usecoherent and it would login andthe launcherwould react, howver the game hangs when loading after that. Tried the compatibility change as well and it does not work . I can get the launcher to respond just wont load the game.

Description:
  A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    AppHangB1
  Application Name:    Gw2-64.exe
  Application Version:    1.0.0.1
  Application Timestamp:    6410d00a
  Hang Signature:    70d0
  Hang Type:    0
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Hang Signature 1:    70d0a4ac3c5b3ba2105c8ecf9dfa283d
  Additional Hang Signature 2:    f702
  Additional Hang Signature 3:    f702c8e258804c16f908e5b444a11ecc
  Additional Hang Signature 4:    70d0
  Additional Hang Signature 5:    70d0a4ac3c5b3ba2105c8ecf9dfa283d
  Additional Hang Signature 6:    f702
  Additional Hang Signature 7:    f702c8e258804c16f908e5b444a11ecc

Edited by Owof.4713

7 minutes ago, plasticzaku.5143 said:

I use WINE/Proton to run the game and had the launch screen hang at "initializing" problem too, so I don't think the bug is related to security software or Windows version. The -usecoherent command got everything working normally prior to the patch, thanks!

My Chromium error code prior to the revert, if it helps:
[0314/132636.728:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(225)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 0
[0314/132637.234:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(225)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 0

well... not that it matters for me right now because everything seems to be working just fine since they rolled through some kind of fix about 20min or so ago ...

but

i didn't say it would be related... i said that cefhost.exe might be the problem... when i updated a couple hours ago norton instantly noticed cefhost.exe because of faulty or outdated signature ... i tried login (on that desktop pc with win10 and norton AV) without blocking the cefhost.exe and it didn't work... i tried it on same PC with blocking cefhost.exe and i was able to login...

now the (apparently) mind boggling thing...

i tried it on win11 notebook where I have McAfee AV and i wasn't able to simply block cefhost.exe so it didn't work

now what did I just say? i just concluded that the problem SEEMED TO BE ... at least on my PC and Notebook.... the cefhost.exe

so it seemed to be related to a faulty signature or something ... whatever... connected to the Chromium Embedded Framework Host Network

but as i said at the start... all seems to be fine since they updated again

• 1 month later...

From the April 18 Release Notes:

> Chromium Embedded Framework has been re-enabled as a replacement to Coherent UI.

Launcher throws an error when I click the login button and becomes completely unresponsive. Exactly the same behaviour as the first time CEF was added.

1 minute ago, Kreiri.9048 said:

From the April 18 Release Notes:

> Chromium Embedded Framework has been re-enabled as a replacement to Coherent UI.

Launcher throws an error when I click the login button and becomes completely unresponsive. Exactly the same behaviour as the first time CEF was added.

Same here☹️

Google decided that Windows 7 is too old, so they removed compability with Windows 7 in the newer versions of Chrome/Chromium. As some players - myself included - still have Windows 7 installed they are buggered... again. Use the old gui with -usecoherent to get the game working.

Edited by Mosartu.1473
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mosartu.1473 said:

Google decided that Windows 7 is too old they removed compability with Windows 7 in the newer versions of Chrome/Chromium. As some players - myself included - still have Windows 7 installed they are buggered... again. Use the old gui with -usecoherent to get the game working.

The browser should be completely separate from this though.  The browser is what can't be updated.

• Confused 1

Yeah. Same problem as mentioned above. Seems to freeze. I am and Win 7 as well - not planning to change it soon since I am not gaming a lot and the old computer is enough. Should be fine as the new stuff is not enforced. (But there should not be a reason to. If people want to use the coherend they should be allowed to continue to use it.)

• Thanks 1

I presume that the Chromium Embedded Framework is derived from the browser, or uses parts of it. Therefore it doesn't play nice with Win7 - can't tell about Linux.

I used -usecoherent as command line and entered the game normally - no problems interacting with the trading post nor with crafting.

14 minutes ago, Geniusman.1760 said:

Even adding the -usecoherent flag I am unable to interact with the Trading Post (buy/sell/etc) nor can I craft items (I was trying to upgrade accumulated luck,

I'm unable to buy/sell directly from Trading Post screen. I'm only able to right-click the item and select "Sell at Trading Post"  or "Buy more at Trading Post" from an item in inventory to buy or sell anything.

Update: Seems to be a random occurrence. Restarted client and now working. 

Edited by Lady of Chaos.2514
update details

7 minutes ago, ArtExplosion.5806 said:

After i hit the button to log in i get a error message: connection failed but on my side everything is fine

Is that CEF failing to connect?  I bet there's a log somewhere for it.  Maybe you have a firewall blocking the connection?