Chromium Embedded Framework Host for Guild Wars 2 stopped to work [Merged]

Just now, Luthan.5236 said:

Stuck a bit on initializing. Then after putting in the password it seems to freeze. Can't log in or start the game. Only closing the launcher works.

Still need to so some daily stuff so a speedy fix is needed immediately.

Try the posted workarounds like adding -usecoherent on the command line.

Hotfix from the other thread seems to work. So I guess it is that Chromium thing. I always thought Chrome was good stuff. Weird that it bugs here for a huge amount of players. (Does it even work for some - would be interesting to see the system specs from people where it worked and where not.)

Might be better to beta test such stuff with first an opt-in. (Then opt-out.) Like with DX11.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

Had the launcher problem (other thread) where the fix from here worked. I always thought Chrome was the good stuff nowadays. (Performance-wise.)

I use Win 7 as well. Might be because Chrome browser here also stopped support for Win 7. (That GW2 maybe not uses his own implementation but straight something from there that is not Win 7 checked.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

Didn't work for me either (pressing a button on the launcher causes it to freeze/lockup). Noticed the new cef executable and thought that there is prolly a new commandline option to enable coherent instead (as a safety measure.. and that works for now).

The arenanet.log file has this error logged:

App: CefHost.exe
Fatal error (0): Javascript not handled?

• Like 1

The command line does nothing for me. The launcher/installer doesn't even show up in the task manager.

That the error message shows up when you click somewhere in the launcher window doesn't mean that it crashes right then and there, it's just that windows hadn't noticed that it was broken until that point.

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Chromium Embedded Framework Host for Guild Wars 2 stopped to work [Merged]

I've been experiencing the same exact problem/issues as others... am also a windows 7 user! You'd be surprised how many ppl are still using win 7. (No forced updates by the big "M" and automatic updates actually stay off!) Originally I thought my game data was corrupted or something so I activated a repair, however after reading through everyone elses comments it would seem it's to do with the chromium stuff! Will definitely give the vista compatibility mode a go as soon as the repair finishes up! Fingers crossed that it actually works...

Update: Yes I can confirm that changing your compatibility mode to "Windows Vista", does in fact work! Simply right click properties on your gw2 shortcut... *click compatibility tab*... "change compatibility mode" to "Windows Vista", make sure the tick is on for running the game in compatibility mode, click "Apply", then launch the game as normal! Done! Hope that helps everyone else out! Back to gaming!  😃

Edited by CJH.2879
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, CJH.2879 said:

Update: Yes I can confirm that changing your compatibility mode to "Windows Vista", does in fact work! Simply right click properties on your gw2 shortcut... *click compatibility tab*... "change compatibility mode" to "Windows Vista", make sure the tick is on for running the game in compatibility mode, click "Apply", then launch the game as normal! Done! Hope that helps everyone else out! Back to gaming!  😃

It works. Praise Joko!

And it's probably the first time I've ever seen compability mode actually work. But Vista...what the skritt?

runnin 3 accs on a desktop and 2 notebooks... twice Win10 and a Win11 system...

my desktop runs with win10 and norton antivirus...

norton reacted to cefhost.exe and i got to try login with cefhost.exe blocked...

that worked fine and i can login in again but sure enough as far as checked stuff out ... TP isn't working.

I guess because i shut down the chrome network exe so playing is fine so far... but nothing working that needs cefhost.exe to be running.

on my main notebook (Win11) where i run one alt acc i can't simply block cefhost.exe... maybe because it has McAfee running and that AV program isn't reacting to it like Norton does... so the same problem there as with the desktop pc when i don't block cefhost on it...

i can enter my acc names... the password and i get the code to login ... but when i hit enter with that code it gives me error msg (Code: 3044:1030:9:553)

1 hour ago, CJH.2879 said:

I've been experiencing the same exact problem/issues as others... am also a windows 7 user! You'd be surprised how many ppl are still using win 7. (No forced updates by the big "M" and automatic updates actually stay off!) Originally I thought my game data was corrupted or something so I activated a repair, however after reading through everyone elses comments it would seem it's to do with the chromium stuff! Will definitely give the vista compatibility mode a go as soon as the repair finishes up! Fingers crossed that it actually works...

This trick worked for me but it took me 15 mins to load Lion's arch map, and cannot barely move... something is wrong

Edit: I'm playing at 1-3 FPS 

Edited by Axelteas.7192

Update broke my launcher as well-- I can type in my information to log in, but hitting enter freezes the launcher.

The -usecoherent argument DOES fix it and the game seems to be running as normal now.

No antivirus issues. Am running windows 7. (Edit: This might not be the same issue as everyone else in the thread? When I clicked a topic describing my own issue it redirected me here, so.)

Edited by Oneiroid.9245
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Axelteas.7192 said:

This trick worked for me but it took me 15 mins to load Lion's arch map, and cannot barely move... something is wrong

Edit: I'm playing at 1-3 FPS 

It may have something to do with DX9 vs. DX11.  The guy who suggested changing compatibility mode to Vista didn't report which renderer he's using.

Edited by Chaba.5410

25 minutes ago, HSDoobie.7401 said:

on my main notebook (Win11) where i run one alt acc i can't simply block cefhost.exe... maybe because it has McAfee running and that AV program isn't reacting to it like Norton does... so the same problem there as with the desktop pc when i don't block cefhost on it...

I think you're the first person to report being affected on Win11.  Are you referring to the problem of where CEF causes the game not to launch or the problem where the launcher isn't working with 2FA codes?  They seem like separate, but related issues.

Edited by Chaba.5410

I used the workaround to even be able to log in, just to find out I cannot use the TP anymore.

Changing tabs takes 30 seconds. Clicking an item to buy takes 30 seconds before it shows up, and by the time I am able to click buy it either timed out - gave an error or "item has been sold" 

I never will understand why you don't roll back to fix it, but let some struggle while you find a fix. This creates an uneven player's field

• Like 2

so now it's getting realy bad... tried the "Vista compability" thing... and it worked on my alt acc on Win11 notebook but not on my Win10 desktop pc.

right now it seems like I'm blocked (temp banned?) on at least that Win11 alt acc ... a little earlier i wasn't able to login with all 3 accs but with an free to play acc of mine that is waiting for me to upgrade it to full game... fun times when you have problems logging in ... trying to work around the problem... and getting blocked or (temp)banned on all accs that run over one 2FA device number.

If there is a dev/anet staffer around reading this... pls get on that too... i guess i'm not the only one trying to login on the one day off work or after hard day at work or whatever and getting his her acc blocked for a bit or more because you try to login several times more then usual for the system ... or with dif accs... or with some work around and then not  ...

or whatever has triggered that block in my case... last time i was told it was my VPN ... i shut it down while playing ever since... so pls kindly fix that too while you're taking care of the bigger problem right now

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I think you're the first person to report being affected on Win11.  Are you referring to the problem of where CEF causes the game not to launch or the problem where the launcher isn't working with 2FA codes?  They seem like separate, but related issues.

well simply put... on win11 I wasn't able to block cefhost.exe so the launcher got error when i send in the 2FA code that i got... but it worked fine using the Vista compability option.

now i seem to be blocked or temp banned or whatever on that acc... again...

on win10 i was able to block cefhost.exe... the 2FA code went through... tried without blocking cefhost.exe before and it did have the same problem right when i send in the 2FA code... tried Vista compability and it didn't work either way... cefhost blocked or not blocked... now i hope not to be acc-blocked (or whatever) when i log off this acc here in forum.

OH... AND BTW:

I can not ... with any hotkey or whatever... type in "@" in launcher on any system now ... it doesn't work period.

I can however type it in any other prog like here in web browser... and frikkin' copy paste it into the launcher

LOL

17 minutes ago, Lysica.1027 said:

For this make a ticket on the Support site.

was trying to but i got kicked back to login and when trying to login i got kicked back to login again..

was about to send email but hey... game update just rolled through and everything seems to be working just fine again...

i guess i was hitting my logins with some modifications like vista compability on 2 pc's a bit to fast for the system and it temp blocked all accs related to my 2FA ... so totaly understandable