Accepting the fact that I will never obtain a skyscale.

On 5/29/2023 at 3:07 PM, Areoh.7495 said:

Which is EVERYTIME I go there.  YOU DO NEED IT.  /Case closed.

I literally said unless you're doing that meta, which is the one point in the game where it's allowed since dragonfall is literally the map that they added the skyscale with boo

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/26/2023 at 1:02 PM, OldManWhat.5083 said:

how much time

It takes less than a week. I think it's a minimum of....4? days now.

It's not the death defying grind it used to be. I don't understand why people still have issues with it. There are guides that literally hold your hand through it all. The x250 is a Tier 3 reward from the Return To achievements, so that grind is gone. So where's the issue? Going from Point A to Point B?

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, Krexen.9057 said:

It takes less than a week. I think it's a minimum of....4? days now.

It's not the death defying grind it used to be. I don't understand why people still have issues with it. There are guides that literally hold your hand through it all. The x250 is a Tier 3 reward from the Return To achievements, so that grind is gone. So where's the issue? Going from Point A to Point B?

You don't get it. Their issue is that they don't get it for free by logging in and they have to play the game without the game actually putting pointers on every objective. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

You mean the content you can get in game by playing instead of paying? HoT, PoF, EoD are not free. LWS1, 2, 3,4 and 5 are.

Well it costs you cash or it costs you gold. The original question to which I replied was suggesting it costs you gold.  It costs you gold if you farm the Seasons and it costs you cash if you don't. Aside from that, I think you'll find the vast majority of people who farm gold to pay for living world don't see it as free either.  Time is money for a lot of us. Maybe not everyone but a lot of us.

And farming gold for the express purpose of buying expansions is a form of currency too.  It's free if your time as no value, I'll give you that. But realistically, nothing is free.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

snip

And farming gold for the express purpose of buying expansions is a form of currency too.  It's free if your time as no value, I'll give you that. But realistically, nothing is free.

You cant but expansions with gems so that is not possible mate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Time is money for a lot of us. Maybe not everyone but a lot of us.

I will never understand this. If your time is so precious than why do you waste it on a game? Is playing for a specific goal so much different?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Inubis.1376 said:

I will never understand this. If your time is so precious than why do you waste it on a game? Is playing for a specific goal so much different?

I'm not sure what's not to understand. I'm not wasting time on doing something I find fun. I don't find farming gold fun. I don't want to have to feel like I need to priortize gold farming. If I did what I normally do to play to farm gold I'd never be able to buy gems with gold at all, at least for most of the time I've been playing.

Sure if your daily activity is daily fractals and you do raids, and you love farming, it's nothing to farm gold. But I bang around and do a lot of things, and some aren't profitable. I love adventures and JPs, but I'd never farm enough gold doing them to buy all the living worlds.

I play games to have fun. Farming gold is a chore. Playing Fallen Masks for a couple of hours is fun for me. Couldn't do that if I had to farm enough gold every day. It would be a weight on my shoulders until I got it done.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

You cant but expansions with gems so that is not possible mate.

Context mate, from what I was responding to, I was clearly talking about Living World. 

Edit: We were talking about if the Skyscale has an associated cost and I said Season 4 costs money, or gold.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I play games to have fun.

Me too.

I don't find farming gold fun.

Me neither.

But I don't know what that has to do with your statement "Time is money for a lot of us.". Because when I'm playing things I enjoy, I don't think about "time is money" or how much gold my activity will bring me.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Time is money for a lot of us. Maybe not everyone but a lot of us.

This is when you turn the game off and touch grass. As soon as you consider the time spent on games something that equals money you need to take a break. Games are for having fun. Work is where your time is money.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

Edit: We were talking about if the Skyscale has an associated cost and I said Season 4 costs money, or gold.

Only if you didn't unlock the Episodes during their first release windows or during the "return to" event windows.

BTW:  I think the monetization of living world seasons was a mistake since the time Anet introduced it, years ago.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Well it costs you cash or it costs you gold. The original question to which I replied was suggesting it costs you gold.  It costs you gold if you farm the Seasons and it costs you cash if you don't. Aside from that, I think you'll find the vast majority of people who farm gold to pay for living world don't see it as free either.  Time is money for a lot of us. Maybe not everyone but a lot of us.

I know personally, an hour of my time is worth a lot to me, so I hardly ever just give it away. There has to be something worthwhile I get back in return, but that is only because I base it off how much I can make in an hour in the real world. But I agree with you, time is money, since is the one resource we can never ever get back.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

4 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

Me too.

Me neither.

But I don't know what that has to do with your statement "Time is money for a lot of us.". Because when I'm playing things I enjoy, I don't think about "time is money" or how much gold my activity will bring me. I can enjoy disneyworld without wanting to wait on line to ride space mountain.

Doing something I enjoy is not the same thing is farming gold as a specific activity.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

This is when you turn the game off and touch grass. As soon as you consider the time spent on games something that equals money you need to take a break. Games are for having fun. Work is where your time is money.

You misunderstand completely. I can enjoy playing the game without enjoying farming gold. I'm not complaining about the game. I made a flippant comment about Season 4 costing money which I follwed with an LOL, and apparently everyone took is seriously. Shrugs. The Skyscale isn't free for people who don't want to farm gold by playing. It costs gold or it costs cash, if you didn't log in which I did. This forum as like zero sense of humor sometimes.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

Only if you didn't unlock the Episodes during their first release windows or during the "return to" event windows.

BTW:  I think the monetization of living world seasons was a mistake since the time Anet introduced it, years ago.

I did.  MY first comment on the cost of it, was followed by an LOL because it was a flippant side comment. It's a misnomer to call it free NOW. That's all I'm saying. I got it free on multiple accounts and never paid for it.

• Confused 3

The skyscale isn't even high effort. It's literally 1 big scavenger hunt. Open the wiki on your phone or tablet. Keep it by you, go to each location. Beat the return to stories for each chapter get the currency stack....bam you have a new skyscale. 

Imagine if SWG was around today....unlocking jedi pre cu would drive some people to suicide. 

Different times we live in I guess, kinda sad to think about.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, patton the great.7126 said:

The skyscale isn't even high effort. It's literally 1 big scavenger hunt. Open the wiki on your phone or tablet. Keep it by you, go to each location. Beat the return to stories for each chapter get the currency stack....bam you have a new skyscale. 

Imagine if SWG was around today....unlocking jedi pre cu would drive some people to suicide. 

Different times we live in I guess, kinda sad to think about.

Yeah that was a grind, but the payoff was worth it, plus SWG allowed macros so you could AFK grind a lot, not just while on your Jedi toon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, patton the great.7126 said:

"high effort" means different things to different players. I agree it's worth it, but the amount of stuff to be done (from looking at the wiki) can seem overwhelming.
I don't see it as 1 big scavenger hunt. It's 3 Dragonfall scavenger hunts followed by 2 world ones and then a food timegate and then 2 more event/world spanning hunts and then finally the resource drop. Edit: oh, and then one more time around the maps for closing rifts. The big plus side though is that these can be done in chunks. There's no reason to try and get through them all at once. 
I had all the currencies built up from the Return to achieves. I think I completed the skyscale in a little over a week playing after work. I could have done with 1 less Dragonfall runaround, but otherwise I didn't mind the quest chain.
also...you can skip finding the skyscale when it runs around the world if you just want to pay some extra for food.

Edited by idpersona.3810
forgot 1 extra step
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

"high effort" means different things to different players. I agree it's worth it, but the amount of stuff to be done (from looking at the wiki) can seem overwhelming.
I don't see it as 1 big scavenger hunt. It's 3 Dragonfall scavenger hunts followed by 2 world ones and then a food timegate and then 2 more event/world spanning hunts and then finally the resource drop. Edit: oh, and then one more time around the maps for closing rifts. The big plus side though is that these can be done in chunks. There's no reason to try and get through them all at once. 
I had all the currencies built up from the Return to achieves. I think I completed the skyscale in a little over a week playing after work. I could have done with 1 less Dragonfall runaround, but otherwise I didn't mind the quest chain.
also...you can skip finding the skyscale when it runs around the world if you just want to pay some extra for food.

Exactly.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

On 5/26/2023 at 2:02 PM, OldManWhat.5083 said:

Let me first start this off by saying if you have a sky scale you are really cool, and good job! But do you think the developers overestimated how much time and effort a player would want to put in before getting completely burned out and/or frustrated with the game entirely? One look at the requirements and it makes me not only never want a sky scale but makes me want to quit the game altogether thinking to myself "This is what I have to do to unlock flying a dragon?". I know 3 people (including my guild leader) who just recently got their sky scale but are now playing other games because right after getting their dragon they needed a break from guild wars 2. I just got The Ascension wings after playing on and off since launch and I'm happy with them. The sky scale looks really cool, but I'd rather spend my time playing guild wars 2 instead of grinding for a new way to move around the world. To be honest not having one makes me not want to PvE at all in the open world. I hope I don't get flamed for my opinion because I really love GW2 more than any other MMO. I just wish getting a sky scale flowed naturally within gameplay progression. 

Skyscale collection sucked. Gryphon was lots of fun. Beetle was decent. I'll keep saying this, so hopefully A-Net will not repeat their mistake. I wouldn't mind a correction, even though I already did it. I'd never want to do it again. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

19 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I'm not sure what's not to understand. I'm not wasting time on doing something I find fun. I don't find farming gold fun. I don't want to have to feel like I need to priortize gold farming. If I did what I normally do to play to farm gold I'd never be able to buy gems with gold at all, at least for most of the time I've been playing.

Sure if your daily activity is daily fractals and you do raids, and you love farming, it's nothing to farm gold. But I bang around and do a lot of things, and some aren't profitable. I love adventures and JPs, but I'd never farm enough gold doing them to buy all the living worlds.

I play games to have fun. Farming gold is a chore. Playing Fallen Masks for a couple of hours is fun for me. Couldn't do that if I had to farm enough gold every day. It would be a weight on my shoulders until I got it done.

And where is it stated that you have to farm gold?  Is there time limit im not aware of? Do it in your own pace by playing the content you like. Thats what i dont understand. You may play whatever you want and get gold that way with specific goal in mind.  There is nothing forcing you to get it done in  a week, take your time, even if its a year.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Loboling.5293 said:

Skyscale collection sucked. Gryphon was lots of fun. Beetle was decent. I'll keep saying this, so hopefully A-Net will not repeat their mistake. I wouldn't mind a correction, even though I already did it. I'd never want to do it again. 

Yeah, that's how it seems. People appear to be positioning the skyscale grind like it's not a grind at all, and that it's filled with joy and it's super quick....but that doesn't appear to be the case lol

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Nobody said that. We just dont care. Its a game, some things are bound to be grindy. Its also not as bad as you try to make it. You can skip a lot of grind by playing something else, for example you can farm bjora chests for s4 currency or do ibs strikes. On top of it there is no rush. You can play at your own pace. You are here because you have time to spare, might as well have a longer term goal.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Yeah, that's how it seems. People appear to be positioning the skyscale grind like it's not a grind at all, and that it's filled with joy and it's super quick....but that doesn't appear to be the case lol

'grind' is used by people who do content they don't want to do for a reward, They made it a personal grind in effect.  I did as many did here, I played the game the way i wanted it but had half an eye on the collections and aligned my gameplay to content that gave the collection items when i wanted to.  It took longer but was not a grind for me.  

• Like 5