Will Relics invalidate legendary runes? [Merged]

3 hours ago, GeraldBC.4927 said:

I see nothing wrong with this. Do it, Anet. Implement the relic system.

"But what about the people upset that their efforts to get legendary runes are being invalidated?"
First off, their efforts are not being invalidated completely. They still have their legendary runes with the new system, right? Those legendary runes are still something that they have for free on every character, that people without legendary runes have to buy or craft. The runes aren't going away. 
Secondly, the people complaining about the change are all people who have gone out of their way to craft

- 2 legendary accessories
- at least one legendary ring
- at least one legendary backpack
- at least one legendary necklace
-18 legendary armor pieces
-multiple legendary weapons
-6 legendary runes
- at least 2 legendary sigils

Does this sound to you like crafting one more legendary item will break the game for them? 

This is patently false.

I rushed Legendary Runes. When I made them, I had only earned Prismatic Champion's Regalia from achievements and made Conflux. Even now, I still don't have Legendary Armor, Weapons, or Sigils.

I rushed them for their value - of which the 6th rune bonus is an important piece - and their convenience. I retain 83% of the convenience if they split off the bonus and 83% of the extrinsic value, but I lose at least 30% of the intrinsic value for which I crafted the runes. 

Edited by Thorne.9857
  • Like 14
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I can't believe how entitled people are in this thread, complaining about a 2 days delay for something that's not even in the game yet is crazy to me.
Don't get me wrong, it is fine to have "concerns" and worry about the value of the time and gold you invested in legendary runes but you know they're preparing a compensation and seeing how wild the discussion is, I'd also take my sweet time to give a bulletproof answer.
Wouldn't be the first time the wording used could create more frustration (remember the first post about legendary armory where a lot of people believed it would release in the "next update"?).

Even if it is not something that was carefully evaluated since the start, as long as the solution they come up with is satisfactory to me, I don't really care, it is not like they released the kitten thing and had to come up with a quick and dirty compensation that wouldn't satisfy anyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Branded Employee.5397 said:

Hello friends,

I'm here with an update that the blog is coming on the 20th. As we said in Rubi's original post, it takes us time to lock text down and get it through our publishing pipeline. Please accept my apologies for the delay from our communicated schedule. 

Are you kidding us? Why didn't you (ArenaNet not you personally) figure this out sooner rather than the day before the deadline and why can't you communicate anything useful to us on the actual forums?

Scrambling and delaying what should be a simple answer isn't a good look.

• Like 6
  • Confused 7

18 hours ago, Branded Employee.5397 said:

Hello friends,

I'm here with an update that the blog is coming on the 20th. As we said in Rubi's original post, it takes us time to lock text down and get it through our publishing pipeline. Please accept my apologies for the delay from our communicated schedule. 

To me this just seems like you guys might not have a solution and are maybe scrambling.

Personally I don't care if I get nothing for my already crafted runes/sigils. The convenience of never having to buy another upgrade piece has been worth the QoL  for the last few years.

I excpect nothing but hope for something nice. IMO a title would be the best thing tbh "Runic Empowered and/or Sigilite". Screw it. Give us one for runes and one for sigils. or something

Edited by NeedForSleep.7390
Initial wording on 1st line sounded unecissarily hostile
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pifil.5193 said:

Are you kidding us? Why didn't you (ArenaNet not you personally) figure this out sooner rather than the day before the deadline and why can't you communicate anything useful to us on the actual forums?

what deadline? do you think they mean August 20th?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

what deadline? do you think they mean August 20th?

They mean the July 18th deadline, that is when they said they would have published the blog post, now delayed to July 20th.

Edit: oh you're right, they didn't specify, let's just hope it's in 2 days and not actually 2 days before release.

Edited by Geralt.7519
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, GeraldBC.4927 said:

First off, their efforts are not being invalidated completely. They still have their legendary runes with the new system, right? Those legendary runes are still something that they have for free on every character, that people without legendary runes have to buy or craft. The runes aren't going away. 

Incorrect. Like many people have said times and times again - crafting legendaries is NOT economically wise. It is a "never have to worry about this slot again" thing. Thats why people pay way more to get that "never again" moment. Anet will remove features from legendary rune system like: 1) the "never again" thing, cause now you will have to obtain relics to get ur build going, or if possible craft another legendary gear (relic) to get what you have already paid for, 2) 6 piece bonus is partially going away into this relic system, so they are effectively taking part of the functionality away from already bought feature. This invalidates the credibility of investing time and resources into any of gw2 aspect since anet can easily take it away and make you pay for it twice (yes-yes, time and effort is a resource too if you havent spend RL money to buy them). Imagine buying a car and a few months later the seller comes by and takes ur wheels off and says that you have to buy them again for a separate price, but now it will be called Relic Wheels. 

Secondly, the people complaining about the change are all people who have gone out of their way to craft

-6 legendary runes

Does this sound to you like crafting one more legendary item will break the game for them? 

So if you buy a house, a car and so on and a guy comes by and takes wheels off ur car and tries to sell them to you for a separate price, ur advice is basically "you have the money, pay the guy!".  For me personally it is a dealbreaker. If i invest (time and money) into something i like to have access to the same functionality that i had for years. Anet is setting a bad precedent here that the most expensive stuff in gw2 can loose its functionality either as a whole or partialy. I wouldnt have a single problem with relics IF it was a complitely different system with different functions and not a "lets sell rune 6th slot again". If anet would say that "hey ur runes are still providing 6th bonus as it stands, but you can override 6th bonus to a different one BY using relics" then i wouldnt had problems with it aswell. But they choose to actually rework rune system and take one of the features away and put it into the so called relic system. 

No. The solution to this, is to implement relics exactly the way you imagined them, and then simply include the ability to craft a legendary relic. Maybe lock it behind a collection that involves all the things done in SotO and resources specific to the expac. It's not extreme or unprecedented, you did something very similar with LWS4E6, tying a mount that completely changes overworld gameplay throughout the entire game leading up to it, to what's basically just a series of DLCs. 

All the tools needed for it to work are already in the game in some form. The legendary armory system works flawlessly. If you think including a new slot within the character menu that affects combat is difficult or impossible to do, remember you already recently did this with jade bot cores.

Incorrect analogy. Skyscale was OK because it didnt invalidate any of the mounts that we have. Each mount is better at its own thing than skyscale. And you COULD and still to this day CAN play without a skyscale by using different mounts. By adding skyscale anet didnt take any of other mounts functionality away from them. 

I would agree about the "extra slot" if it wasnt devalueing existing legendary rune slots by moving one part of its functionality to the new slot. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

oh no! two whole days?! the world is ending!

To be fair, it's not just "2 whole days", this thread is going on for 3 weeks already, after a week they told us to wait for another 2 weeks before they would answer, then the day before post release they delayed it.

If you consider *all* that, instead of taking a line out of context, it doesn't look very good honestly.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Geralt.7519 said:

Glad to see you're not having any problem with all this, at least GW2 will have 1 player at Soto launch, good enough for Anet I guess 😄

There will be more players at launch. Not everyone has a meltdown over this like you and few others 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

i mean; if you're all leaving, can i have your stuff 😉

Sure, but first you need to ask Anet to make valuable stuff tradeable instead of account bound, I don't have any gold to give, I spent it on legendaries.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Akronox.8251 said:

I can't believe how entitled people are in this thread, complaining about a 2 days delay for something that's not even in the game yet is crazy to me.
Don't get me wrong, it is fine to have "concerns" and worry about the value of the time and gold you invested in legendary runes but you know they're preparing a compensation and seeing how wild the discussion is, I'd also take my sweet time to give a bulletproof answer.

All the complain that they are receiving now is valid IMO, so they know they are screwing people over AGAIN, by messing with things that were working fine and had no reason to be changed at this point in time. They wanted to add something new for players, yea, cool, but it beats it's purpose when a lot of people will be screwed over it. That's mainly the reason why ascended runes were never implemented back when they released ascended gear.. so a lot of people wouldn't be screwed over by an overriding best in slot essential item.

Also, this is the SECOND delay on an answer on how will they fix this kitty mess they made. What you don't see is that there is a lot of investiment from players on it.. time, gold / real money (some people convert gems into gold), effort and of course, lots of annoyance while playing for a major upgrade that in their eyes, would be all worth because of the supposedly lifetime QoL.

I got my set of legendary runes (7) and sigils (8) as part of the compensation for being screwed over with the legendary wardrobe, but I never wanted them in the first place. So now I, and a lot of other players in the same situation are concerned about being screwed over again. You may think "oh but they compensated  you" .. no, if I was given an actual decent compensation back then it would have been to get back all that I spent on the extra legendary armors I had. Some people even quit the game after the "compensation" because they had 9 or more legendary sets.. the compensation was only acceptable to people with up to 5 legendary armor sets. Anything above that was just loss, loss and loss. Since I couldn't have my materials spent back, when I got the "compensation boxes" I chose legendary runes and sigils.. I'm still quite bitter about it because as I said, I didn't want them, if I did, I'd have made them before.

And now, yet again, about to be screwed over on the leftovers of the last time that I got screwed over. 

Edited by leila.7962
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, GeraldBC.4927 said:

-6 legendary runes

having all runes and sigils, 2 rings, 1 backpack, amulet, several weapons, envoy's herald title, don't see a problem with having to make something to get that 6th stat back, as long as it's also leggie, it seems fair. of course with some sort of thing you need to earn/work at to get. it's how things work in this game. frankly don't understand why ppl are complaining.

[sorry, lost what you said about the jade bot core here]

this don't understand what you mean by this. you mean the cores themselves, and having to do to a workbench to work with them? yeah, that sucks. make it so those armor stands will allow you at least exchange modules you already have on you, for instance. and for anything more complex, use a workbench (brainstorm).

Edited by AricanaRainbow.7145
thought spoiler button was preview

Weeks to translate, festival that was only announced on twitter and you didn't even bother to put it on the website, the wvw beta alliance post?... I'm worried about the future of the game, you say that the game only grows in number of players but you seem to reduce the effort more and more.. I don't know how much what you say is true.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

Bruh why care, its not like runic slots and whatnot were coming out today anyway. If the announcement gets delayed until the expantion release why care. Better things to get bent over than video game developer makes a promise they couldnt keep.

Edited by NeedForSleep.7390
Spelling error
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, BumboJumbo.1308 said:

Why is everyone so conspiracy brained? Just need to wait a couple more days for the blog post to release.

It's because of people like this one that the game has become such a disappointment.

"Let's wait people"
"Just a few more days"
"They must be busy doing something else"
"Stop making drama just for this"
"We are the least toxic MMO community"

"It's just a game"

You were accepting less and less content and effort from them, now congratulations let's pay $25 annually to receive less content than a Living World 4 for example

Edited by VictorLeal.4102
  • Like 12
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Akronox.8251 said:

Wouldn't be the first time the wording used could create more frustration (remember the first post about legendary armory where a lot of people believed it would release in the "next update"?).

Even if it is not something that was carefully evaluated since the start, as long as the solution they come up with is satisfactory to me, I don't really care, it is not like they released the kitten thing and had to come up with a quick and dirty compensation that wouldn't satisfy anyone.

Thank you for the good dose of sanity. Its crazy how unhinged people are over a 48 hour (potentially longer) delay over a video game change announcement.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4